Newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic

Mrkmtchll2512

Been recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, have been prescribed Metformin starting at 500mg 1 x breakfast week 1, building up to 2000mg by week 4, and then all the other stuff i.e eye screening, feet check etc, then something new never heard of Desmond, so not sure what to expect from 1 the Metformin and 2 Desmond, only thing is I hope I can do the Desmond thing digitally like did previously with second nature program, due to 2 issues in my spine I can't attend a classroom and sit not possible with severe pain and discomfort. So time will tell I suppose, does anyone else have any knowledge on the Metformin and the Desmond thing?

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

mouseee

First, welcome!
Desmond- yes there is an online Desond course called my Desmond. I was offered it by my GP. I have to say I haven't done all the units. I learnt most of what I know on here.
Metformin - there are common side effects to do with gastrointestinal issues. Most people find they settle and there is a low release option if they don't.

Mrkmtchll2512

Thank you for your reply and help, I will ask to try the online Desmond, re Metformin side effects I was informed of them, said should settle if not other drugs to try, but for now Metformin, go back in 3 months for another blood test, time will tell moving forward.

• Friendly

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forums.

It looks like you've had the standard NHS introduction to T2. You might try to read a bit more on this forum - have a look at the "Success Stories" section which will show you how a lot of people have done something significant about the condition. I'd recommend reading this piece, written by one of the forum members, which covers some things you might not find out about from the NHS.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

My one piece of advice is to forget everything you have read or been told or think you know about "healthy eating". I've put T2 into remission and lost five stone solely by dropping my carb intake down to about 20g/day and eating protein and natural fats. No medication.