No fast acting Insulin for 4 days

rhodzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A little bit of a story...

I went out drinking to a works party on Friday and for this reason I didn't have any insulin past 12 noon. Due to the amount of alcohol I would probably be having and food. Normally I would follow nurses advice and go to bed high and treat in the morning. However, since I went out I've not needed to take any fast acting insulin since Friday morning. It's now Tuesday morning and I've eaten lots of carby foods over this time.

I've been taking my 10 units of Tresiba on a night (long lasting) but that's it. Also yesterday I ate a large meal of chicken and fries with no insulin and my sugars stayed within range. I've spiked only once to 10mmol but this was for 5-10 minutes before it came back down.

Normally I would think this was the honeymoon period, but I already went through this for 1 month in June of last year.

Has anyone else experienced this? I will be contacting my nurse within the next few days to explain all this but just wondered if this is a common thing?

Average daily readings without fast acting is: 5 - 9 mmol

Type 1 Diabetes for 1 year

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally I would think this was the honeymoon period, but I already went through this for 1 month in June of last year.

Has anyone else experienced this? I will be contacting my nurse within the next few days to explain all this but just wondered if this is a common thing?

Average daily readings without fast acting is: 5 - 9 mmol

Type 1 Diabetes for 1 year
The honeymoon period usually takes many years before it's completely finished, it simply means you still produce enough insulin yourself to make a difference. The amount of insulin you produce can vary, like you already experienced in june.
My own honeymoon period was quite boring: simply slowly increasing insulin needs until they settled more or less after 4 or 5 years, but I don't think your experience is very unusual.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and keep a close eye on your numbers in case your basal needs to be reduced as well, and in case your pancreas suddenly decides it's taking the day off!

rhodzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The honeymoon period usually takes many years before it's completely finished, it simply means you still produce enough insulin yourself to make a difference. The amount of insulin you produce can vary, like you already experienced in june.
My own honeymoon period was quite boring: simply slowly increasing insulin needs until they settled more or less after 4 or 5 years, but I don't think your experience is very unusual.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and keep a close eye on your numbers in case your basal needs to be reduced as well, and in case your pancreas suddenly decides it's taking the day off!

Thank you! You were right, it was still part of the honeymoon period!

It did eventually stop and I had to start taking insulin again, it was nice while it lasted but feeling a lot more comfortable now I’m back on it.

Reactions: Antje77