Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hba1c: 78

Hi

I’m a type 2 diabetic and have been told I was a type 1 for 12 years (aged 26) and I’m nearly 41.

Just had a letter stating that my latest diabetic eye screening showed signs of diabetic maculopathy and I’m petrified. They’re referring me to the hospital eye service.

My fatigue and eating disorders mean I eat so much **** I can only blame myself.

Is this worse than diabetic retinopathy? I had background last time but this seems more serious? Is this something I can change? I’ve tried low carb more times than I can count but it triggers my ibs terribly.

Not sure what to do. Thank you

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry to read about your difficulties. I have no personal experience of this myself.

Bilous and Donnelly, which is the NHS Handbook on Diabetes, says that retinopathy is the general term as the retina is the main part of the eye affected, but both the iris and the lens can also be involved. Maculopathy is defined as insufficient blood flow (ischaemia) to the central retina (the macula) which can result in swelling and damage. So maculopathy is a subset of retinopathy.

One of the key points says:

Prevention of retinopathy development is critical; glycaemic control, blood pressure lowering and renin angiotensin system blockade are of proven benefit.

I would strongly suggest that you take the advice of your medical team. I have no idea what renin angiotensin system blockade is, but clearly there is an expected benefit to reducing both your blood glucose and blood pressure, which is something you yourself can do something about.

Reactions: lcarter

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi, sorry to read about your difficulties. I have no personal experience of this myself.

Bilous and Donnelly, which is the NHS Handbook on Diabetes, says that retinopathy is the general term as the retina is the main part of the eye affected, but both the iris and the lens can also be involved. Maculopathy is defined as insufficient blood flow (ischaemia) to the central retina (the macula) which can result in swelling and damage. So maculopathy is a subset of retinopathy.

One of the key points says:

Prevention of retinopathy development is critical; glycaemic control, blood pressure lowering and renin angiotensin system blockade are of proven benefit.

I would strongly suggest that you take the advice of your medical team. I have no idea what renin angiotensin system blockade is, but clearly there is an expected benefit to reducing both your blood glucose and blood pressure, which is something you yourself can do something about.

Thank you.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve recently been diagnosed with Diabetic Maculopathy and the hospital want to see me every 3 months. I’m very worried but trying to keep my carbs very low. It can’t be reversed but I can hopefully slow down the progression

This article might help

Reactions: lcarter