Rasilez aka tekturna and type 2 diabetes

czlc89

I read that the EMA has recommended against the use of Rasilez (sold as Tekturna in the States) in patients with diabetes, but in the US the FDA has only contraindicated its use when combined with ACE inhibitors or ARBs. Is the EMA overly cautious or the FDA not cautious enough? (the latter, IMO..) What does everyone think?
http://www.newsinferno.com/pharmaceuticals/tekturna-label-changes-valturna-market-withdrawal-announced-by-novartis/36884

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Hi, just for me, can you say this in English, not Newspeak?

Thanks,

Andy

Adam63

That is rather bad news about Aliskiren (Rasilez or Tekturna) being contra-indicated for
type 2 diabetics.

I, as with many type 2 diabetics, have high blood pressure. I have had this for 15 years but
it has been well controlled by medications. I am now on drugs from the three main classes
ACE inhibitor, Beta-Blocker, and Calcium Channel Blocker. I am on the maximum doses
for two out of these three.

A year ago, I was concerned about future control of my blood pressure, once, inevitably,
my body adapted to my current medications. The new class of Renin inhibitors (Aliskiren)
seemed to hold out a possibility for a solution, but it now seems that the European Medicines
Agency is warning against their use in type 2 diabetics using ACEs.

As control of blood pressure is extremely important, I hope there is some other class of
Hypertension medications on the not too distant horizon, as the Renin inhibitors may not
offer a safe solution.