What do we think of Kindles?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I much prefer actual print books, I love the smell, and look of them on my ever expanding bookshelves. I mostly buy mine second hand from amazon or ebay, so don't usually pay more than £5 per book, I like to think it had a life with someone else first before it came to me (bit odd, I know!)

I can see how a Kindle would be useful for carrying around alot of books all at once though, it'd be very handy for long trips or long waits at the hospital. :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I prefer real books but run the Kindle app on my Android pad as well.

Cowboyjim

I also create my own things to read and copy them over to the Kindle - news items, maybe even threads from this forum... simply paste into a text file.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The kindle is the devil of the book reading world! :twisted: - no never never never - how can you replace books!!!! - this was me - hubby forever wanting to buy me one as I read 2-3 paperbacks a week! no no no no way the work of the devil says I - then he won one in a national newspaper comp along with a £100 amazon voucher.

Oh how I Lovvvvvve my kindle - it is my new bessie mate- she has a lovely pink case with a little light in it 8) - It is one of things I cannot go anywhere without, I love the fact that I don't need my reading glasses and it is easy to read in bright sunlight as there is no glare from the page - mind you this is as yet a little tested theory considering this lovley summer we are having!

Books what are those? :lol: :lol:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
lovinglife said:
Oh how I Lovvvvvve my kindle - it is my new bessie mate- she has a lovely pink case with a little light in it 8) - It is one of things I cannot go anywhere without, I love the fact that I don't need my reading glasses and it is easy to read in bright sunlight as there is no glare from the page - mind you this is as yet a little tested theory considering this lovley summer we are having!

Ha ha! "Don't need reading glasses". You sound like my wife who has hers set to the maximum font size. It's like reading a book, one sentance per page.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Im chomping at the bit for mine to turn up now after all this love for the Kindle, havent heard from the guy since he cancelled my Paypal request coz my SIL paid for me, but he said he will post in tomorow, so I hope he does.

jopar

The kids brought me a Kindle 4 for Christmas and it's one of the best pressie's I've ever had....

Most of the books I read are free downloads, but has lead me to some good authors though, Such as Tim Vinney..

Here's a link that will send a daily e-mail of the free downloads on Amazon, www.readeriq.co.uk

Amazon often have a deal with their authors that for so many days of the year their books are available for free download... A tip when downloading a freebie, is before you do double check it's £0.00 as sometimes it can charge you... This seems to happen in the very early hours of the morning..posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=29278#

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not seen a Kindle let alone tried one or bought one! Reading the comments here it might be something I'd enjoy so I will have to drop some gentle hints to the wife & kids :wink:

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Like the other Kindle owners here, I love my Kindle. And as I was formerly a printer I suppose I shouldn’t be saying that. However, you can’t turn back progress, just learn to live with it.
My wife bought mine for my birthday last year and she was so taken with it that I had to buy her one as an advance Christmas gift.
The advantages I find are the same as the other people on this forum – ease of buying books (can be a disadvantage if you’re on a strict budget), its capacity (up to 3000 books at a time), being able to take it when travelling thus, saving yourself the bother of filling up a suitcase with books. Last year I downloaded Steinbeck’s America and Americans while riding on a train between Washington, DC and Chicago. Don’t forget, either, that the typeface can be set smaller or larger, for anyone who doesn’t have 20/20 vision.
There are lots of free books at Amazon or other web sites, and I have gleefully downloaded a fair number, in keeping with my pastime of catching up on the classics I missed out on during my working life. I’ve downloaded the entire Sherlock Holmes canon, all the short stories of Guy de Maupassant, works by H.G. Wells, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H. de Vere Stacpoole’s The Blue Lagoon, 27 novels by Jules Verne, Gibbons’ Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (all 6 volumes) and Conrad’s Lord Jim. That’s not to say that I’ve ignored modern writers – I also have the latest books by Wilbur Smith, Tom Clancy, Jonathan Kellerman and Frederick Forsyth.
Of course, anything so handy and convenient must have its drawbacks, and Kindle does have a few. My biggest gripe is in the non-fiction field, where it’s not easy to move about inside a book to check on references or footnotes – a very fiddly business involving inserting electronic bookmarks all over the place. Maps or illustrations are also sometimes difficult to read.
I don’t think Kindle or any other type of electronic reader will totally replace books, especially not large format atlases or works covering fine art subjects, but for the average reader who loves to get lost in a novel or thriller it’s an absolute Godsend.
I’ve caught up on so many of the classics I failed to read during my working life: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Les Miserables; The Count of Monte Cristo; Wuthering Heights; The Country of the Blind, and so on. I haven’t yet started on the Decline and Fall, but I’ll get around to it.
So would I give up my Kindle? Does a dog give up a bone?

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I love my Kindle. I miss trawling the charity shops but as I still have hundreds of paper backs unread I seem to end buying books I didn't remember I had. I still get some books out of the library usually the latest books as they would be too dear for me to buy. As you will gather I am addicted to books. Some books after reading in Kindle I end up buying the paper version. I think this is sometimes necessary if you are using them as a reference book. At the moment I am reading the same book in both paper back (at home) and Kindle (out and about). Thanks for the links I hope I can figure them out. My son got me books - Star Wars, Philosophy, science etc and some novels. (I am ungrateful I know he is my IT expert). I will try myself now. Thanks all

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Chris Lowe - It is indeed possible to loan and borrow books from friends who also have Kindles. Have a look in the Kindle User's Manual (page 16) or go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle
Hope this helps.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a bit skeptical of having a Kindle, I love the having books around and thought I wouldn't like it. Hubby bought me one for Christmas and I love it. I can't see it replacing books altogether, I love browsing through cookery books, gardening books and art books. It does replace paperbacks though. It's so easy to carry around and read in bed as there is very little weight to it.

The only problem is every evening I HAVE to trawl through the free books on Amazon and download the ones that I fancy!!! :lol: :lol:
So glad I've got one!

Ann

Cowboyjim

I agree re the fiction vs non-fiction situation. The Kindle is I think aimed mainly at people who like novels. The choice for those is vast, but if like me you enjoy non-fiction it does handle them so well. I have managed to read some books on aviation history, for ex, on mine that are in pdf format but it is less convenient. Of course the basic Kindle cannot display colours so it may be unsuitable for textbooks on DM for ex! Otherwise it is a great way of slimming down your book collection... one of my NY pledges but progress is slow... I spend too much time downloading samples and messing about with it... I see it also has an experimental browser on it but I have had no time to play with that... right, despite the rain it is bike ride time, the fry up brekkie won't work itself off. 8)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
The only downside to a Kindle is that you can't read it in the bath in case you drop it in the water.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got one for my Birthday this weekend so am a very new owner am busy downloading lots of freebies so will see what I think of them.
I was very impressed with one of the Amazon marketplace traders. I ordered a cover at midday yesterday and by 6pm it was had already arrived in France, and was in the hands of La Poste!

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Well Happy Birthday Phoenix

Mine should be here tomorow hopefully, as Im finding it really had on my tiny 2x3 mobile screen. And its just as well as Ive been signed off from work for a week with this chest infection.