breakfast cereals

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What Breakfast cerials can a type 2 have, also is milk a problem ? I usually have Alpro milk,
there seems hardly anything that I can eat,no potatoes,gravy,roast potatoes etc. the list is endless

MaryJ

Re: breakfast cerials

Hi celast

Only way to knw is to test.

I can't tollerate any others can.

The milk can play a part but minute compared to the cereal.

For me, breakfast has been by far the hardest transition. I'm used to it now but its not easy.
Mary x

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The only way to see if a cereal is okay is to eat some and test after 2 hours. If your level is similar to what it was before you ate it then it's okay. If you have a big rise then that particular one is a no no. If you have a smallish rise then try a smaller portion. Milk depends on how much and how many carbs are in it, you'll have to read the carton and test.

Roast potatoes I find that I can manage one without any problem, again you have to test. The fat that it's cooked in slows down the absorption of the carbohydrate so doesn't spike me. Gravy I use the meat juices and fat and thicken with Ground Arrowroot this I find is okay, again you need to test. New potatoes are lower carb than old ones so you may be able to have a couple of those, again it's all about testing.

We're all different so it is necessary to try things yourself and test. Some of us can manage carbs at different times of the day to others. If you're not sure what the results mean then just post what you've eaten and the test results and someone will answer and give you their interpretation of it. It's a minefield at first, but it does get clearer as time goes on. HONEST! :thumbup:

Ann

Grazer

Alto is less carbs than normal milk, and they do an unsweetened laptop which is zero carbs if you want to try it.
Ann is right about roasting spuds; better than jacket mashed or boiled. Or gave a couple of tiny new pots
For breakfast, if you want to try cereal, try either bite size shredded wheat (lots of carbs but almost zero sugar) or all bran, lower carbs and low GI. But as others have said, eat then test 2 hours later. Perhaps go for less than 7.8 after two hours. If its higher, have less or give up on cereal!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
celast
I never touch breakfast cereals. i eatt almost no potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or baked goods. I eat WELL> Lunch today was a piece of very well cooked pork belly with a LARGE portion of green cabbage.I putt the fat that had rendered from the pork[ with its caraway seeds] onto the cabbage. i did eat 1 baby new potato. Dessert was srwed rhubarb, with artificial sweetener and ginger, served with greek yogurt. Supper
1 slice Burgen soy and linseed with Red Leicester cheese.
I'll have my bit of chocolate soon.
Total carb count for the day was about 12 - 15.
All my food was delicious
Hana

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yep sounds bad all this giving stuff up and like you we all found it a struggle to start with. However think of it this way. If every time you ate that load of rice or pasta or lots of bread or loads of potatoes or pastry or most breakfast cereals you instantly went blind for the next hour you'd soon give them up wouldn't you?

The trouble with T2D is the downsides of not giving them up may not start immediately but when you look at the statistics for diabetics who don't do anything in terms of blindness, amputations and just outright heart attacks and strokes it really is worth giving them up and giving them up now.

I'll give you one chilling statistic. In a recent study out of 80 55 year old badly behaved T2D diabetics 40 (yes half of them) where DEAD within 13 years and a proportion more were blind or had bits chopped off them. Now if you change your lifestyle and try and lose any weight you need to and get back to having the blood levels of an average non diabetic which most people can if they adopt a good diet then why would you run any more risk than a healthy non diabetic person? The answer is there is no reason so give yourself the chance to live a full and happy life.

Giving up IS difficult but once you have given up you just don't miss the starch and find out there are far more tasty things you can eat.

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before breakfast 5.9 after musilie alpro milk,2 rounds of toast with diabetic marmalade 2 hours later 6.3 is that ok ?

gillianre

Cereals are a no no for me, I didn't eat them before anyway (allergic to milk and find Soya milk vile) but as I was one of the "bad" people who didn't eat breakfast at all I was told to start to eat breakie - really struggling as I don't want to eat before 10 in the morning, ever! Coffee is all I can manage but trying with a bit of fruit.

MaryJ

Bloody 'ell Celast If I could eat that breakfast and get that reading I'd be doing flipping cartwheels up the street.

I couldn't have had the ceral OR even 1 of the pieces of toast and not gone in double figures.

BUT, here's the word of caution - it could have been a faulty low read, hopefully not but try it again 2moro rather than put it on your tick list erroneously, cos to be honest that is A LOT of carbs

Mary x

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
celast said:
Before breakfast 5.9 after musilie alpro milk,2 rounds of toast with diabetic marmalade 2 hours later 6.3 is that ok ?

Good grief - how did you get away that! Most of us reading that will be incredibly jealous :mrgreen: :lol:

Yes the BG's are brilliant. Before getting too carried away I would try the same thing again and just for one time test at one hour as well as two just in case you're missing some enormous spike. You're probably throwing money away if you buy anything that has "diabetic" written on it. If you can get away with marmalade try just the reduced sugar ones.

You're going to tell us it was white bread as well aren't you - just to really rub it in :lol:

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I dont have breakfast cereals anymore, they are dreadful for BG control, and this include Muesli, with "no added sugar and salt" a typical aftermeal reading being 17.

I find an omelette with 1 slice of dry wholegrain much better for me.

Good luck

lindainsomerset

OMG xyzzy, what a little ray of sunshine you are!!!! I think you will find your facts are based on Type 2 people who made no attempt to control their diabetes, not for the likes of people on here who are making good effort. I don't think you will die or have body parts amputated just by having a bowl of low sugar cereal. Lets get this into perspective!!! I have porridge, and accept a little rise in sugar levels, but still remain in control. I also have meals out once or twice a month and have whatever I want (but no pudding). You've still got to live a little!!

Defren

xyzzy said:
celast said:

Good grief - how did you get away that! Most of us reading that will be incredibly jealous :mrgreen: :lol:

Yes the BG's are brilliant. Before getting too carried away I would try the same thing again and just for one time test at one hour as well as two just in case you're missing some enormous spike. You're probably throwing money away if you buy anything that has "diabetic" written on it. If you can get away with marmalade try just the reduced sugar ones.

You're going to tell us it was white bread as well aren't you - just to really rub it in :lol:

Jealous is not the word :lol:

Muesli , 2 slices of bread, diabetic marmalade? That is beyond my wildest dreams (except the diabetic marmalade, I would rather eat grass). My +2 results are always in the 4's or low 5's but that's on less than 10g of carbs.

Don't ya just hate some folk sometimes :lolno: