Diabetes and smoking

mhoggarth

Hi all,
I have recently started smoking again (3 years quit - 1st time smoking while diabetic) after a break up with my fiance and completing my masters.
Been smoking now for just over 2 weeks and i have noticed an increase in my sugars when i test before meals. I have not changed my diet, and i have not change doses.
Is there a link between smoking and an increase in sugar levels or could it just be a coincidence?

Thanks Mark.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mark

I say this as an ex-smoker and I mean no offence, but it seems odd that you are only worried about the effect of smoking on raising your blood sugar - both will damage your circulation (the cause of pretty much all diabetic complications).

jgibson1962

Knock it on the head mate, you'll end up with no legs. I've been off the things for 4 years now, got diagnosed with Type 1 last year. Its just not worth the risk and i do know how you feel.

mhoggarth

I don't plan on continuing smoking, and i know that it can affect circulation. Was just wondering as i had seen an increase in sugar levels

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be stress in general that's raising your BG

Mileana

As far as I have heard/read, smoking stresses your body so it releases more of the hormones that causes 'liver dumps'. Epinephrine, steroids etc.

I will try to find a linky.

pickle76

I'm an ex-smoker too and seem to remember being told smoking increases your insulin resisitance. Don't quote me though! I had shocking control when I smoked but probably just as much to do with lack of care and understaning on my part as the actual smoking itself. No lectures from me, just hope you're coping and can manage to kick the habit again. You have an HbA1c to be proud of. Take care :wink:

thetallerpaul

I reckon what Robert says is likely to be the culprit. If you are stressed enough to go back to something that you had kicked that will cause you that much damage to cope then you are stressed enough to see BG spikes. Stop before you get re-hooked again as kicking it sucks. I remember those times. I'm just glad I quit as I had a baby on the way. Doing it while diabetic would have been tough given how I ate through the cravings!

TTP

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mhoggarth said:
Hi all,
I have recently started smoking again (3 years quit - 1st time smoking while diabetic) after a break up with my fiance and completing my masters.
Been smoking now for just over 2 weeks and i have noticed an increase in my sugars when i test before meals. I have not changed my diet, and i have not change doses.
Is there a link between smoking and an increase in sugar levels or could it just be a coincidence?

Thanks Mark.

Mark I urge you to quit again, read the following from DUK which does say it effects bg levels as well as many other things:

''when you have diabetes can make it more likely that you will develop neuropathy (nerve damage), nephropathy (kidney damage) and retinopathy (eye damage).
decreases the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues of the body, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
increases your LDL (low density 'bad' lipids) cholesterol level and lowers HDL (high density 'good' lipoproteins). This can make blood cells stick together, which can attract cholesterol and fats to stick to the artery walls making it more difficult for blood to circulate. This can damage and constrict (narrow) the blood vessels of the body (known as atherosclerosis) or cause a clot to form and possibly break away to travel round the body leading to a heart attack, stroke, peripheral vascular disease or worsening of foot and leg ulcers.
increases your blood pressure by releasing adrenaline which causes blood vessels to constrict and the heart to beat faster.
raises blood glucose levels. This is probably due to the nicotine and other products involved in smoking which may cause insulin resistance (whereby insulin doesn't work properly) and stimulate stress hormones that can increase glucose levels''.

Sorry about your break-up BTW.