Occasional Treats

I've been keeping to a low carb, low sugar diet of late and have been managing perfectly well on diet after weaning from meds. One issue I've faced though is that I've still got a craving for treats and I apply a general "I've been good for x days so I can have x" rule. Recently though I've found that I've been having violent reactions to any so called treats (slightly higher carb and sugar levels) and it seems to
Be getting worse the longer I remain on my diet. I'd like to know if anyone has had any similar experiences as I've just had a wee panic about it and I'd like to know if it's going to get better?!

Artichoke

Hi Galwayindublin :D

I've been low carbing for two years and my tolerance for carbs is very low now. If I have a large packet of crisps, a small tub of potato salad or more than a couple of scoops of a lower carb ice cream I will have bad indigestion for hours then throw up.

Asked my GP about this and he felt that it was psychosomatic ie subconsciously I felt that I shouldn't be eating it. I disagree because I don't see how my subconscious tells my stomach to have such bad indigestion (my stomach really grumbles).

I have wondered whether I have some sort of food intolerance and even whether it was that which caused the diabetes. So maybe you have a gluten allergy or other intolerance ? Are there any particular foods which make you unwell ?

You're the only other person I've come across who feels unwell after eating carbs, I wonder whether others are so good they never go off piste or just don't admit to feeling rough after carbs !

In the end, I'd go with what your body tells you and try and find other treats.

Grazer

Artichoke said:
In the end, I'd go with what your body tells you and try and find other treats.

I agree 100%. Maybe for a slightly different reason! I think telling yourself you can have a treat after x days of being good is a bit like an ex smoker saying the occasional fag is ok. They end up back on 40 a day. I know lots DO say "enjoy the occasional treat, don't let it rule your life", but I decided I couldn't do that. I've looked for replacement treats instead. There are lots of choccy (my weakness!) based ones from whitbyjet on the low carb diet forums. I keep bags of "almost bounties" and "Iced chocolates" in the freezer. And home made very low carb ice creams.

SweetHeart

A few weeks after starting low carbing, I decided to treat myself to half a slice of white bread fried in olive oil - to go with my strangled egg and bacon.

Now, I'm not the diabetic in our house, so I don't get the BG spikes, but I could not believe how bad I felt! And I was bad for days afterwards - stomach pain, bloating etc - and I can't even say I enjoyed the fried bread as I found my taste had changed.

Ever since then I have touched bread or any wheat products and it put paid to cravings for toast, cake etc. WhitbyJet & others have posted some fabulous recipes for cakes, chocolatey things like mouusse and ice cream on the Low Carb recipes thread and they are all really easy to make.

Ju

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a couple of chunks of dark choc, from Aldi moser roth 85% and chocuer sorts my craving and very low carb.

It's good to know that someone else has this issue as it seems pretty rare on the ground. Prevailing theory is that my body rejected the high carb/sugar intake and that's what made me ill. Usually it passes pretty quickly but I've had indigestion since the last episode on
Thursday now so it's really starting to bug me. I think I'll just retreat back to the safe list! I'm looking at ordering a few things from the states as they have a much wider market than in Ireland the UK. If it all works out I'll post the recommendation. If not, the condemnation!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It might be cheaper to try the lowcarb megastore.