Buzzing in my ears - driving me mad!

joelcam

Hi all,

Hope someone can offer som help with this one.

2 evenings ago, after my shower I was sat in my bedroom, the house was silent and I could hear a low buzzing in my head. It sounded like the gentle hum of a fridge-freezer. Anyway, I thought nothing of it but then last night it was there again. I switched off all the electric in th house and no matter where I went, the sound followed me.

I even went outside to see if it was something out there but it wasn't. I think it may be tinnitus (or whatever it's called).

I also found some sites linking it to diabetes. Anyway my control is good, so just wondered if anyone else has experienced it and more importantly will it go away? It is louder today. I work in a busy office and I can hear it still! So annoying and I really don't want to be stuck with this for life!

JC

jopar

Tinnitus can be linked to diabetes, but generally if it's linked you get other neuropathology symptoms.. Otherwise it's likely to be just one of those things and reasons why somebody else gets it..

Hopefully it wear off soon, most people's do as it tends to be something that comes and goes

SweetHeart

I have tinnitus. It drives me mad. I can't hear low level noises or anything particularly high. Mine sounds like old fashioned radio interference.

Ju

lorri1

Yep, I have had it since I was diagnosed at xmas, a very high pitched sound which obviously sounds louder at night as it's quiet, to be honest it hasn't bothered me too much as I have been too busy with my BG levels lol, but now that I have some control over them my mind has a bit more space to worry about other things :) , so went to the doc and there isn't really anything they can do about I'm afraid, just have to live with it. Compared to diabetes it's a breeze! lol

Lorri

Reactions: not-so-lucky

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Ju got it right for many - sounds like white noise. Mine was caused by a flat lift loader dropping to the road surface suddenly with a deafening crack which caused a sharp pain in my left ear. This was 17 years ago and all the research I have done indicates that it will never go but can be louder at times. Sufferers (like me) get used to it and the brain tends to ignore it. The doctor said to me - "Does it come on when you are sitting upright and suddenly doze of?" He hit the nail on the head and I thought how strange but he could offer no palliative solutions. Those with SEVERE Tinnitus use various methods to 'noise cancel'- this is trying to find what wave length the prolonged sound uses and employ an equal wave length to combat and thus cancel out the offending first sound. A good example of this is used by those who cannot get to sleep and use a radio or some other acoustic device under the pillow. Tinnitus does not always cancel out low or high noises but rather runs parallel with all sounds heard by the ear drum. During the day I could listen to the Tinnitus if I wanted but of course other distractions take over and it is not a problem. Sitting here quietly writing this it is rather noisy and could drive one daft if one let it. For new sufferers - do not despair you will (or your brain will) be able to control it

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your levels like at the time?
I tend to hear buzzing in my ears if my levels are too high especially when I go to bed.
HTH
Angie

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Angie, If you are asking me, I cannot find a connection between BG's and Tinnitus - to be truthful never gave it a thought even tho some say there is a connection with Diabetes. All I can say is that the more tired I get the more persistent the Tinnitus - I have it at the moment and at a time I know my sugar level is low. I will test myself and post the answers. Just remembered - I am one of the lucky ones who does not suffer when lying down at night.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My oldest child shrieked in my ear when he was a baby and I had tinnitus for 3 months after, it's very annoying and not a pleasant condition to live with so you have my sympathy JC :(

joelcam

Thanks for all the replies....still hopeful it will pass as it is driving me nuts...If I clench my jaw it stops, really weird.

I feel like I want to smash my head against a wall at the moment though!! :evil:

My blood sugars are always ok so it's not when I am high or low...

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
I have had a very high pitched ringing in my ears for quite some time now, I am newly diagnosed with T2 but now you have got me wondering if it could be connected, mine gets much louder at night when I lay down, it drives me up the wall, it is constant, I will mention it to my doctor, not sure about my blood sugars as I am not testing myself yet :yawn:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine comes from a love of live music concerts ... Although it was made worse by Amitriptyline and didn't get better when I stopped it.

Always wear musicians ear plugs now to stop it getting worse.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I was left with tinnitus after a hideous dose of flu with complications of labrynthritis about 15 years ago. At night I sleep with the radio tuned to BBC Radio 5Live at a low volume. The speech is just enough to mask the noise in my ears.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Annoying thing it is.

Mine is in my left ear, and funnily enough this is the side where I have some nerve pain that runs down my arm into my fingers. I can't hold the phone to that ear as the sound starts to buzz and itch!

I have a great Osteopath/Chiro/Sports Masseur type person who sorts my arm and upper back/neck every few months.

I sometimes hear the ear noise when I've been clenching down too much on that side of my jaw.

Relaxing my jaw eases it off or stretching my neck side to side, also watching that I'm not hunching up my shoulders. When sleeping and I want to sleep on my side, it has to be the right side as lying on the left brings on the faint high pitch noise.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Tinnitus is not nice. I go through bouts of it and in my case its usually brought on by working too long hours and stress. I find driving will sometimes shift it as will walking. Like Didie says until it goes you might want to try sleeping with the radio on.