• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Foot care in Scotland

Zilsniggy

Well-Known Member
Messages
443
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently been told that the Scottish Government have changed diabetic foot checks to 2 yearly in my health board area(Ayrshire and Arran). Does anyone have any idea why this was changed, and what the evidence base is for that change?
 
I have recently been told that the Scottish Government have changed diabetic foot checks to 2 yearly in my health board area(Ayrshire and Arran). Does anyone have any idea why this was changed, and what the evidence base is for that change?
I'd have a look on the Scottish Government's website. Health service generally is a devolved matter so it is a decision that will have been taken locally. It might even be your local health board's decision, and you might try their website too.
 
I'd have a look on the Scottish Government's website. Health service generally is a devolved matter so it is a decision that will have been taken locally. It might even be your local health board's decision, and you might try their website too.
It’s not the local Health Board, apparently it’s a Scottish Government decision. They have also changed retinal screening to 2 yearly. That is Scotland wide. I’m trying to find out their rationale for doing so, but no answers so far.
 
They are saying that Scottish Government overrides the SIGN guidelines(equivalent to NICE in England). NICE still advise yearly checks in England. I am a tad worried over this as their level of expertise on most things is poor, and I have a feeling that it’s purely a cost-cutting exercise at the expense of diabetic patients. A decision on the health of diabetics, made by politicians.
 
Back
Top