• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Faulty Humulin Kwik Pens

jazzvee

Newbie
Messages
3
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I have type 2 diabetes (post transplant diabetes) due to having a kidney transplant. I was previously on tablets but had to switch to insulin as my blood sugar was very high.

Does anyone have any problems using the Humulin KwikPens?
They stop working after a few doses or sometimes straight away. The pen doesn't dispense insulin as the dial goes very stiff so is unable to turn to select the dose. I've tried all the troubleshooting, etc. As far as I'm aware it's due to trapped air at the top. I do everything as instructed but it still keeps happening.

It's very frustrating and stressful and I'm very concerned as I keep missing doses. I'm worried how this might affect my health. I've tried talking to the pharmacist, doctor and nurse to no avail.
 
I don't use that insulin but with mine odd time I found one faulty pen among a box. Can you order another pack and see if they are any better ?
 
IMG_20260928_104713_edit_8693560827839.jpg
I don't use that insulin but with mine odd time I found one faulty pen among a box. Can you order another pack and see if they are any better ?
Hi Mark, it's the same with every box. They all end up faulty. I was on a different insulin pen before and had the same problem.
 
All I can think of is to keep pestering your Dr/nurse and Pharmacist or ask for a different make of insulin
Is there a reason you use this insulin ?
 
Thanks Mark, I was prescribed this one by my doctor as I had the same problem with a previous make (Novaltel I think)
Just a thought, but are you storing the current pen that you are using in the fridge? My understanding is that they need to be kept at room temperature once opened...
 
If you use a reusable pen, with cartridges this would maybe solve the issues you're having. Just a thought if you haven't used them.
 
Back
Top