• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

I must stop procrastinating and finally place garden tables and containers for winter where they'll get the best of whatever sunlight there is. Overwintering will be lettuce, kalettes, sprouts, swedes, celeriac, carrots, onions, garlic, elephant garlic, shallots, spring onions and perhaps the multi head cauliflower, but I don't know how long they'll go on. The leaves on multi head cauliflower are all tender and delicious like the inner leaves on normal caulis.

Porridge for breakfast, probably cottage cheese salad for lunch, freezer surprise for tea.
 
Sop far no food today but I have a dish of the last of the sausage casserole in the oven to heat up. All my joints are extremely sore today so I can't do much again. Neil was very quiet in the car this morning and I thought that, somehow, I had finally managed to outwear his patience. Then I realized that he really wasn't feeling well, but hadn't said anything. Turns out that he thinks it was the rosemary that he had added to something he made yesterday setting off one of his allergies.
 
Good evening from Plombieres-les-Dijon.

No exercise today except walking round Lidl, as, getting out of the car to help my husband put air in our tyres, I caught the little finger of my left hand in the square bit of the door frame where the latch goes in. I thought at first I'd broken it, but it is merely wrenched and hurts like anything, and I am badly shaken up and really want to go to bed.

Breakfast was a silicon poached egg on seeded sourdough toast with pate, plus 1/3 slice French multigrain toast with butter and honey, orange juice and coffee. Lunch was a little less than a quarter of a multigrain baguette with half cottage cheese and ham, and half butter and cheese. Plus half a tomato (lovely French ribbed tomatoes, yum!) and followed by a slice of caramel Vienetta-type ice-cream with a spoonful of creme fraiche. Mid-afternoon I had a tiny sliver of fruit cake with my tea, and supper is about to be what appears to be called a ghiota, which is basically an Italian version of shakshuka, with potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes. Should be delicious, and there is enough to do us twice. I have decanted the second half in case I decide to have it with something other than an egg. To be followed by yoghurt with a banana if they are still edible, and fruit compote if they aren't. Must stop now, as typing hurts!
 
I caught the little finger of my left hand in the square bit of the door frame where the latch goes in. I thought at first I'd broken it, but it is merely wrenched and hurts like anything, and I am badly shaken up and really want to go to bed.
Oh that must be so painful, I hope it settles down quickly.

Hugs for you and also @Annb and Neil.

I am feeling a bit better but am still struggling with doing part of a job then getting distracted, both in the garden and indoors! I am getting the processing/freezing of garden produce done as priority though, so I'm proud of myself for not wasting anything. The runner beans are doing really well but might be done in a couple of weeks as the weather is set to get cooler.

I had savoury mince with runner beans for tea.
 
I must stop procrastinating and finally place garden tables and containers for winter where they'll get the best of whatever sunlight there is. Overwintering will be lettuce, kalettes, sprouts, swedes, celeriac, carrots, onions, garlic, elephant garlic, shallots, spring onions and perhaps the multi head cauliflower, but I don't know how long they'll go on. The leaves on multi head cauliflower are all tender and delicious like the inner leaves on normal caulis.

Porridge for breakfast, probably cottage cheese salad for lunch, freezer surprise for tea.
Hope you've managed to sort out where your pots and tables need to be to maximize any winter sunlight even if they are not in place yet! Well done on managing freezing your precious crops.
 
It's flu jab today for us but not until late morning so will have time to do some jobs first and also cook breakfast. Probably a poached egg after some LC granola - managed to get to an m and s yesterday and buy new supplies of their no grain granola and also some more low carb seeded crackers. It's also fish Friday so salmon for dinner and may make hummus for Lunch if get time.
Hoping this years flu jab isn't a sore arm one and wishing everyone a good Friday - weather looks promising here.
 
Hoping this years flu jab isn't a sore arm one
Hope so too! Mine's next week. That granola looks nice, I'm tempted to try it as an alternative to porridge, but porridge is working so well with my medications and weight loss so I might stick to that for now.

Porridge for breakfast, cottage cheese salad for lunch and chicken with cauliflower, runner beans and roast uchiki kuri squash from the garden for tea.
 
Avocado on crackers for breakfast. Tea.
I asked Neil a couple of weeks ago to try to get some pumpkin for me but the shops didn't have any. Yesterday he came home with five (just found another one) of them - all shapes and sizes. So this 2nd meal will be roasted, spiced pumpkin (the oddest shaped one) with some other veg alongside. Not sure yet what they will be. With my hands playing up again, I had to get Neil to cut it into chunks for me.

EDIT: didn't eat it. Must eat early in the day because by late afternoon I just don't feel like it.
 
Last edited:
Good evening from Bourg-en-Bresse. Thank you for your good wishes! My finger is fine again now - a little bruised, but I've had worse - and I slept off the shock. I have a flu jab booked for when we get back - the 21st, I think - and join the ranks of those hoping it is not a side-effecty one.

Today's breakfast was a "proper" poached egg (I was showing off my skills with a "poachie" and got breakfast while my husband was showering and dressing after his run) on part of a lovely fresh baguette spread with boursin. I also had a little more baguette with butter and marmalade. We walked round the Lac du Kir, where we had parked up - unfortunately it is only filled with water, not the eponymous drink! Lunch, en route, was the rest of the baguette; I had my share with half cream cheese and ham, and half butter and hard cheese. Followed by a pear and a nectarine. The pears, bought just before we left England, are absolutely perfect!

Supper was a recipe for a pumpkin macaroni cheese which I got from "Easy Cheesy Vegetarian"; I used butternut squash rather than tinned pumpkin. It was okay, but only okay. Don't think I'll make it again, but it might be the basis for experimentation in the future! Meanwhile, I'd had a whisky and soda while preparing it. And followed it with yoghurt and fruit compote, which was rather too large a helping. And SOMEONE has left the chocolate-covered blackcurrants out, and I may have eaten two or three of them.... Or four or five!
 
A rare day with nothing planned!
Had a lie in and a very long shower.
Stayed fasted until 12:30. Hubby and I had walked 30 minutes to country pub.
Shared a whitebait starter, then had greek salad that had prawns in it. Made a nice lc dish.
Might have had 3 spoons of hubbys crumble and custard.
Drank 1 wine and soda, then a mint tea.
40 minutes walk back home to complete a very pleasant circuit

Supper was 4 seed crackers with brie and salami. Half a very good ripe pear and a large handful almonds.
 
My Flu jab had to be rearranged at last minute to another appointment in a week or so - but husband had his and his arm is fine no reaction at all so that seems promising.
Curry planned for main meal today. May do some baking later but depends on how I get on with my to do list.
Wishing all a lovely Saturday.
 
Good evening from Sevrier, near Annecy.

Breakfast was a boiled egg with a bit of fresh baguette spread with paté, and followed by a pear. Lunch was another bit of baguette with some bacon and cream cheese, and I gave the top half of my "tartine" to my husband, as I was full! Followed by a little ice cream with a dollop of creme fraiche and a couple of frozen chocolate raspberries. I think there was a sliver of fruit cake mid-afternoon (my sister really ought not to make such nice fruit cakes!), and supper was a Saturday sausage (Bratwurst this time, bought before we left England) with the leftover vegetable stew from Thursday. Followed by the end of the Greek yoghurt and nectarine compote, and a few grapes. I'm full!

I got my step count in by walking round the most enormous Lidl you ever did see, outside Bourg-en-Bresse this morning, and then a much smaller U Express en route here, as Lidl in France, no matter how enormous, doesn't sell fresh milk and the Swan Whisperer simply refuses to put UHT-treated milk in his tea or coffee, although he will take it quite happily in home-made yoghurt or a Béchamel sauce. I have also been down to look at the lake.
 
A single scrambled egg for breakfast, just to lower appetite as off to village coffee morning that runs on cake! Did manage to resist.
Drank lots of water and tea as went for flu jab and it's supposed to help (now it's 9pm and arm is sore, especially touched)
Lunch was at pub with hubby and son. I had gammon and 2 eggs and chips. Really good thick gammon.
Supper has been seedy crackers with brie and salami and cucumber . A small coffe ice cream with added nuts.
A whisky
 
Brrr it was chilly first thing when I did my usual morning garden walk around. In fact I turned the heating on, very briefly, for the first time since it got serviced and checked in the summer, to take the edge off. Looking like it will be a lovely sunny day again though.
I've got some garden tomatoes out of the freezer this morning and I'm roasting them for breakfast to serve with bacon and egg. I'm also planning a slow cooked beef casserole for dinner. I didn't find time to bake yesterday so I'm hoping to find time later - some panda flour flapjacks are on my to do list.
 
It was chilly here too this morning @shelley262 - I too tested my heating and thankfully all is well! It is a very nice sunny afternoon now. I'm off to the garden centre as I arranged to meet for coffee there but I'm suffering with some neck pain - I think maybe I overdid it when pruning a hedge on Friday with my arms above my head. Actually I know that's what it was because I felt it at the time and thought I would probably regret it! So I will probably make my excuses and head back home early.

Breakfast was porridge, lunch was a few crackers with some Cheshire cheese and dinner will be something from the freezer as I don't feel up to food prep today.
 
@Annb, the curry sounds delicious! I'm glad it's getting colder in the UK - still very warm here, although there was one morning we had to give the heating a blast. Fortunately it wasn't cold this morning, as the hot water didn't come on properly - the gas cylinder ran out - and our showers were lukewarm! That, combined with the fact that I was feeling sinussy, was not a good start to the day!

Breakfast was a poached egg (coddled? In those silicon cups) on toast spread with Boursin, plus half a slice of toast with butter and honey. And fruit. The greengages are a bit tasteless - if I get any more, I'll stew them with some lemon juice.

Lunch was delicious walnu bread with a cold sausage, a bit of cheese, some carrot salad and some quinoa salad, followed by a Sunday "tarte aux pommes".

Supper was pork steaks with the end of the beans, mashed potato/cauliflower mixture and a sauce made out of onions and mushrooms. Followed by a baba au rhum. I know that makes two pastries in one day, but that wasn't quite meant to happen...
 
Back
Top