Cholesterol Levels - Can Someone Explain?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SweetHeart said:
My father has taken Simvastatin now for about 7 years. He can hardly walk but will not believe me when I tell him his incredibly painful legs and breathing problems are the Simvastatin. I have even shown him the contraindications leaflet that came with the Simvastatin to no avail. As he has had major heart surgery (valve replacement and double bypass in 2010) he will probably benefit from taking a statin, but he desperately needs to change type before my mother bumps him off through sheer frustration at his pigheadedness.

Not sure if they'll speak with you, but have you thought about contacting his gp surgery and ask if you can speak with his doctor and mention your fathers breathing and legs, I'd imagine they may consider changing his statin but would still need to see your father about this and ask for his consent.

SweetHeart

I can understand why they wouldn't speak to me, I know they cannot discuss individual patients' medical records/conditions with anyone. Maybe I could write mentioning my concerns.....but it would have to be confidential because my dogmatic father would hit the roof if I contacted his GP without his permission.

It's certainly an idea I'll think about. I wonder if my mother could speak to the GP instead - this affects her too; she's doing a lot of heavy work that she needs help with and they aren't really getting the most out of their retirement.

Ju

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SweetHeart said:
I can understand why they wouldn't speak to me, I know they cannot discuss individual patients' medical records/conditions with anyone. Maybe I could write mentioning my concerns.....but it would have to be confidential because my dogmatic father would hit the roof if I contacted his GP without his permission.

It's certainly an idea I'll think about. I wonder if my mother could speak to the GP instead - this affects her too; she's doing a lot of heavy work that she needs help with and they aren't really getting the most out of their retirement.

Certainly worth a try Ju at the very least.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago Ju. My HBA1C was still donw at 6.2 but my cholesterol had increased from 4.8 to 5.8, my Triglycerides were 2.5 and my GP has put me on atorastatin as I was worried about side effects and these are less likely to cause them. We had a long in depth discussion about stains before this was decided. I actually called the British heart Foundation and had a very long in depth discussion with a cardiac nurse. very very helpful. My GP maintains there is only so much you can do with diet and a lot is age and hereditary. Give the BHS a call Ju, at least they are reasonalbly well informed and not so biased as the press reports we so often read, which scares us all to death. Good luck! x

SweetHeart

Went to see the doctor about MH's cholesterol levels today. It was a doctor we've never seen before (seems he has no respect for women, he utterly ignored me, but I digress....)

Anyway, he's not really happy that MH has refused a statin for the present. He made it clear that MH will have to go on Statins at some point - probably in about 6 months, as he doesn't think we can do any more with diet alone. He's very much 'adhere to the party line' but didn't try to push it. When stanols were mentioned he just said by the stuff in supermarkets, he didn't seem convinced that they were as good as chemical statins - but I'm going by his dismissive attitude toward them rather than anything he actually said.

We're back at the doctor's 8am tomorrow and it should be our regular doctor, hopefully she will be a bit more forthcoming with information about stanols - can you get them prescribed? Also we can, hopefully, get more info about the Vit B12 as today's guy didn't seem to think there was anything wrong.

Ju

A

Anonymous

Good luck to your OH tomorrow Ju. I can`t understand why they won`t let him try for a while to sort it out. Has it changed much since diagnosis? Sorry if I missed this if you posted before x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When stanols were mentioned he just said by the stuff in supermarkets, he didn't seem convinced that they were as good as chemical statins - but I'm going by his dismissive attitude toward them rather than anything he actually said
There is a 'portfolio' of foods , stanols, almonds, soluble fibre (from fruit/veg/oats/pulses) and soy. This has some evidence base to reduce cholesterol.
see http://www.heartuk.org.uk/images/upload ... _portD.pdf

SweetHeart

Jeannemum said:
Good luck to your OH tomorrow Ju. I can`t understand why they won`t let him try for a while to sort it out. Has it changed much since diagnosis? Sorry if I missed this if you posted before x

The doctor did respect MH's decision to try reducing his levels by diet alone, although he quite clearly didn't believe it could be done. MH's level has gone down from 6.2 to 5.8 in three months, so I think he's doing really well. Our GP took him off the Met week before last too.

There is a 'portfolio' of foods , stanols, almonds, soluble fibre (from fruit/veg/oats/pulses) and soy. This has some evidence base to reduce cholesterol.
see http://www.heartuk.org.uk/images/upload ... _portD.pdf

Phoenix, are you supposed add all of those things to your diet; the stanols/sterols, almonds, soya protein and soluble fibre?

Ju

A

Anonymous

SweetHeart said:
Jeannemum said:

The doctor did respect MH's decision to try reducing his levels by diet alone, although he quite clearly didn't believe it could be done. MH's level has gone down from 6.2 to 5.8 in three months, so I think he's doing really well. Our GP took him off the Met week before last too.

Ju

He has really done well!

SweetHeart

Jeanne, I think he has too. But they aren't happy at the surgery - no praise for his total Cholesterol dropping, or losing 4 inches from his waist (a stone & half) or keeping his BG levels low and constant. They're always pushing for more and it's quite discouraging.

I'm trying to get him even lower carb but without spoiling his enjoyment of food - this is a hard slog for an ex-chef, bless him.

Ju

A

Anonymous

SweetHeart said:
Jeanne, I think he has too. But they aren't happy at the surgery - no praise for his total Cholesterol dropping, or losing 4 inches from his waist (a stone & half) or keeping his BG levels low and constant. They're always pushing for more and it's quite discouraging.

I'm trying to get him even lower carb but without spoiling his enjoyment of food - this is a hard slog for an ex-chef, bless him.

Ju

Will it come down more with weight loss? I am mystified how I got mine to be so much lower. Have a look on my fitness pal if there is anything you can use from my daily menu. I seem to be having salad most days at the moment, so not very inspirational. Try to ignore the lump of cake I had today. I promised myself a treat if I was below 6 ;)