Low Calcium?

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi guys,

I am a T2 and manage to control my diabetes with diet (low carb) and exercise. My HBA1C is always in the 5's.
I had a blood test this week in readiness for my annual review next Monday.
Today I got a call from my GP's receptionist who advised me to increase my dairy intake as my calcium levels are low.
Pretty poor communications I know as I would have expected GP to wait for my review and to simply state "eat more dairy products" seems somewhat crasse to me.
Does anyone have exerience of low calcium? Is it a tyical diabetes associated issue as a Google search sugests it probably isnt.
It isnt a low Vit D issue as I have been taking supplements for 3 years.

All the best - Steve

Mileana

That area of the metabolism is also linked to your thyroid hormones and phosphorous levels - are they normal, do you know?

Do you know for a fact that your vit D levels are in range or are you just concluding from taking pills to must be normal?

I have a mess of vitamin readings myself although I spend time in the sun and have been given injections - noone knows where the stuff goes, but it's nowhere to be measured in my blood at least.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Mileana,

you are right, my low Vit D is purely an assumption based on my supplementary intake.
I will discuss the other levels on Monday, I do not know how deficient I am at this stage.
I have read a lot about the symptoms of low Calcium and I dont appear to have any.

Regards Steve

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is certainly evidence that women with T1 and possibly T2 are more susceptible to osteoporosis so it's important not to be calcium deficient. It's less clear with men but they are not immune.
Good sources of calcium are dairy products such as milk, cheese and yoghurt. Calcium is also found in canned fish with bones, such as sardines. Other sources of calcium include green leafy vegetables (such as broccoli and cabbage, but not spinach), soya beans and tofu