Keeping Diabetes Kit Warm whilst skiing

Emma Holdaway

Hi,

I can't be the only diabetic keen skier can I??? How do people keep their insulin and blood test equipment warm whilst on the slopes? I have a small bag that I wear under all my layers with the kit in - this is not comfortable and often results in by blood test meter being too cold to use.

Any better ideas? I can only seem to find products on the market to keep insulin cold rather than warm...

Emma

AMBrennan

Frio mentions this in their FAQ:
We cannot advise you on the use of FRÍO® travel wallets in cold and freezing or other extreme conditions because tests in these conditions have not been carried out. Any testimonials we have received on the use of FRÍO® products in cold and freezing and other extreme temperatures are from individuals who have simply reported back on their use of the wallets in these conditions – we must point out that we have not recommended the product as safe to use in extreme temperatures or environments.

All we can say, is that the wallets have been used by professional mountaineers in extreme conditions, and they have said the FRIO® wallet prevented the insulin from freezing during their trips, please see the section "What Customers Say".

We would recommend that you consult the manufacturer of your medication for advice on insultaing it against freezing temperatures.
The only other thing I can think of would be putting one of those chemical hand warms in your kit bag; I'd check that they maintain acceptable temperature range first with a min/max thermometer - they can apparently get quite hot (60C).
Edit: Maybe one could put the insulin in a Frio wallet, and keep that wallet in a bag with a hand warmer? :***:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Emma.
Could I suggest you might want to try , ringing up the company that make your insulin and ask them this question.
It IS an excellent question you have raised , Frio walllets as you quite rightly say only keeps insulin cool.
I myself have rung up novo nordisk , roche, and BD microfine [needles] with my own queries and questions.
They have all been so helpful and couldn't do enough to help me .
Hope this helps?
Anna.x :D

HelenLouise

Hi Emma,

did you work out a way to keep your insulin and tester warm on your trip? I'm a ski instructor and that's the most annoying thing about diabetes and the cold. If my blood tester accepted blood it would frequently give massively wrong readings (one finger 2.2 the next finger along 18!) , I'd store it as close to my body as was possible but (I was in Canada where it got to -25) it really didn't work. I never took my insulin out after doing so for the first weeks and the cartridge shattered!!! IF you discover a good way to keep it a good temperature I'd love to know.... also hope the skiing was great!

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emma, I would also like to know if you discovered a way to keep your insulin warm when skiing. I was diagnosed Type 1 in January this year and hope to go skiing as usual next winter.

Loey