Rapid-D Link Removal - help!!

dani-a

Hi guys,
Well finally got my accu chek combo pump yesterday (woohoo) and have opted for the Rapid-D Link Infusion set. have no probs using the steel cannula and having to change that every 1 to 2 days HOWEVER my first cannula change this evening was not easy. I inserted the new one before taking the old one out with no glitches but when it came to removing the old one, it was so so painful. Still smarting some 50 mins later. We weren't told if there is a knack to removing them, so my question is.......are there any tips you guys could give me?
I have heard talk of lift off wipes/sprays....should I be using this at all?
Any advice is more than welcome
Thanks
Dani

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dani, we don't use the rapid-D sets but use the contact detach sets which essentially are the same. Get yourself some adhesive removal wipes, it makes it so much easier to remove. There is an adhesive removal spray too, after trying the spray and wipes we decided that the wipes are better but you may prefer the spray. We get the removal wipes at the same time as ordering our pump supplies, if you get in touch with the helpline for your pump supplies they may be able to send you out some wipes quickly. The wipes we use are called Uni-Solve but I'm sure other brands will work equally as well. I find if you dab the removal wipe on the sticky "plaster" to wet it then gently work around the edge of the plaster in a circle until the plaster is loosened against your skin, I hold my finger gently over the middle of the plaster where the cannula goes into the skin, that keeps the cannula from shifting about as you're loosening the plaster. Once it's loosened all the way around then I pull the cannula away from the skin straight out, don't pull at an angle as that may hurt. If you don't have adhesive removal wipes on hand for the next set change you can also try soaking in a warm bath with the set still attached before trying to remove it, the warm water might help to soften it a bit although it hasn't really worked that well for us.

jopar

You can get a spray to help losing the stickiness to make it easier.. I think it's called something like adhesive lifter or something!

But I would try some moisturising cream on top, allow to soak for half an hour or so, or perhaps some soapy warm water should help to make the patch less sticky and more comfortable to use..

I use the Tenderlink, which is Teflon so can be left in for 3 days, and having a nice hot relaxing bubble bath every night, means that on day 3 it comes off without much problems at all..

pickle76

I use eye make-up remover wipes called 'Quickies' which are very moist and quite oily. I wipe around the sticky pad til I can see it's absorbed some of the oily moisture, then gently peel off. Very rarely get any redness afterwards. The wipes come in a blue plastic tub and I get them at work (Lloyds Pharmacy), but couldn't find them elsewhere. If anyone else knows where they're available please pass it on!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can also use a cotton bud dipped in baby oil to soak the sticky part and then it just peels off.

I have gone back to teflon sets but when I tried steel ones like yours I found the lift off spray really useful.

iHs

I use the Rapid D set and take it out by using medical adhesive removal spray like LiftPlus or Niltac. About 2 sprays then wait 10secs and then gently peel back the edges of the white adhesive towards the centre where the needle is and then by holding the peeled back edges like a butterfly wing, I can then lift the steel needle out without any real discomfort. LiftPlus and Niltac are available as free samples and have websites so try the sprays and see what you think.

All the best