Retina / eye screening

MadMat

Got an appointment tomorrow for my first Retina screening, bit concerned about the leaflet mentioning blurry vision and pain or extreme discomfort as possible side effects!

Could someone tell me what actually happens at these appointments, and how bad / long lasting the side effects are? I'm supposed to be doing the night shift in a taxi tomorrow night, appointment is at 11:30am!

Mat

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mat

They would put some drops in your eyes to open up the retina so they can photograph the back of the eyes.. I am not lying..the drops sting loads....and yes you do get blurry vision. it usually last for a couple of hours. The eyes will be sensitive so take a pair of sunglasses to help. Personally i find that my vision is only affected if i am looking at something closely.

I think you will need to see how you are before you start your night shift, but for me a couple of hours usually does it for everything to get back to normal.

Claudette

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The blurriness of the eye drops does ease-off after a few hours but they do warn you not to drive after the eye appointment, not sure what time your night-shift starts but if it's later in the evening you should be OK....you'll know by what you see if you are safe to drive, if in doubt don't drive.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mat,

You'll be fine I should think for your night shift.

I've had it done twice now and both times I would NOT have been able to drive home as focusing on the traffic is hard and gives you headache.
Keep the sunglasses on outside as this helps and rests your eyes from the brightness. I found after the first one I went home had a bite of lunch and then went to sleep for about an hour (after aborting trying to read the newspaper!!) and when I woke up they were a lot better and I would have been able to drive by late afternoon / early evening.

Don't worry about it and the folks who do the tests are usually very friendly and helpful (well ours are round here anyway!)

HTH
Angie

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not everyone needs to have drops to dilate the pupil. I have had 6 or 7 retinal screens and have never had to have drops. The retinal photos were perfectly fine. I would advise anyone to ask whether it is absolutely essential to have the pupils dilated.