Byetta / Bydureon

ps147

Hi All, this is my first post so please be easy on me if the questions i ask have already been answered :)

Right, where do i start. i have been T2 diabetic for nearly 10 years now. started off on Metformin 500 & glimiperide and gradually over the years the doses have been increased and / or other oral medications added / changed, including Gliclazide, Sitagliptin etc. Over the years my weight has also increased and diabetic control has been getting poorer until......................BYETTA!!!

Started on Byetta nearly 2 years ago and have since lost 6 stones in weight, have come off my BP meds, Cholesterol is within good limits and have also now come off Metformin.

Have been on Bydureon for the last 2 months (as it suits my lifestyle better, once a week inj rather than twice daily).

My sugar levels are really good now, Fasting being in the range of 4.5 - 5. 2hrs Post meal being around the 7 mark.

Now, my diabetic consultant has instructed that i come off the Bydureon / Byetta altogether and see where my BG levels are at and if needs be can add Metformin & or other oral med.

The questions i ask (in case anyone is or has been in the same position as me) are :

- If i need to add Metformin only, is there a possibility that i will gain weight?
- Do i have a say as to which therapy i prefer, Ie, I would really like to stay on the inj as it is working so why try and fix it? rather than going down the road of starting on metformin, then adding something else, then changing something else and going full circle to being overweight, poor BG control & then restarting Byetta a few years down the road?
- Can someone stay on Byetta/Bydureon indefinitely as the only therapy even though they are not overweight anymore?
- whats the longest someone has been on Byetta?

Any answers or comments will be really appreciated

C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I cannot answer your questions about Byetta/Bydureon and am bumping your post up in the hope that someone will reply.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The metformin will not make you add on any weight most find it helps to loose weight. The byduren is expensive which may be why they want you to come off if they feel you can control with lifestyle.

If it doesn't work you can ask to go back into it. But if you feel very unhappy changing then go back and have a good talk with them.

samy@2612

Hi lousieb, I saw your post about Bydureon, i have been on it for 2 weeks three weeks this weekend,my blood sugars are quiet high at 13 to 14 in a morning i just wondered if you woyuld share your information about your start on it and how long it took for your sugars to drop i know they say 4 weeks but i am worried as mine ar high and dont seem to be moving!

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Byetta for a couple of years, but it caused me more problems than anything else. I think it is designed for patients who eat a diet higher in carbohydrates than I do. If you eat a low carbohydrate diet, it doesn't seem to help much and for me, it made me have frequent lows. So I had to eat more carbohydrates than I was comfortable eating to prevent the lows. I gained weight and my control got worse. It has been about 3 years since I was on it. I know many people have done very well on it, but it was not a good fit for me.

ps147

Hi guys thanks for your responses. I have officially come off all meds as of last night and have my appt with consultant in a fortnights time. Will keep you posted.

I think the best way forward is going to have to be going on a low carb diet and sticking to some exercise. I wonder hiw long it takes fir the bydureon to come out of your system fully? Last week tuesday was my last dosing day.

samy@2612

ps147 said:
Hi All, this is my first post so please be easy on me if the questions i ask have already been answered :)

Right, where do i start. i have been T2 diabetic for nearly 10 years now. started off on Metformin 500 & glimiperide and gradually over the years the doses have been increased and / or other oral medications added / changed, including Gliclazide, Sitagliptin etc. Over the years my weight has also increased and diabetic control has been getting poorer until......................BYETTA!!!

Started on Byetta nearly 2 years ago and have since lost 6 stones in weight, have come off my BP meds, Cholesterol is within good limits and have also now come off Metformin.

Have been on Bydureon for the last 2 months (as it suits my lifestyle better, once a week inj rather than twice daily).

My sugar levels are really good now, Fasting being in the range of 4.5 - 5. 2hrs Post meal being around the 7 mark.

Now, my diabetic consultant has instructed that i come off the Bydureon / Byetta altogether and see where my BG levels are at and if needs be can add Metformin & or other oral med.

The questions i ask (in case anyone is or has been in the same position as me) are :

- If i need to add Metformin only, is there a possibility that i will gain weight?
- Do i have a say as to which therapy i prefer, Ie, I would really like to stay on the inj as it is working so why try and fix it? rather than going down the road of starting on metformin, then adding something else, then changing something else and going full circle to being overweight, poor BG control & then restarting Byetta a few years down the road?
- Can someone stay on Byetta/Bydureon indefinitely as the only therapy even though they are not overweight anymore?
- whats the longest someone has been on Byetta?

Any answers or comments will be really appreciated

Hi I have just started on Bydureon week 3 and blood sugars fasting in a morining are still vhigh 12 to 14 did you experiance this when you started and how long did it take to stabalise? Regards Samy26

samy@2612

ps147 said:
Hi guys thanks for your responses. I have officially come off all meds as of last night and have my appt with consultant in a fortnights time. Will keep you posted.

I think the best way forward is going to have to be going on a low carb diet and sticking to some exercise. I wonder hiw long it takes fir the bydureon to come out of your system fully? Last week tuesday was my last dosing day.

Hi Can you tell me how long it took for your sugars to become stable on Bydureon? thanks Regards

ps147

Hi samy. Sorry for not replying earlier - as far as gettin control with bydureon, for me it was seamless. Was just the first week when my fasting bg was slightly high, around 6 - 7. After week 3 it came to around the 5 mark. Stick with it as some people say it takes 4 - 6 weeks to stabalise your fasting bg

samy@2612

ps147 said:
Hi samy. Sorry for not replying earlier - as far as gettin control with bydureon, for me it was seamless. Was just the first week when my fasting bg was slightly high, around 6 - 7. After week 3 it came to around the 5 mark. Stick with it as some people say it takes 4 - 6 weeks to stabalise your fasting bg

Hi ps 147, thank you for your reply it has started to come down a little 11 and 12 know so i just got to eat less and work out more thanks once again Samy