Bulk Recipes?

A

Anonymous

Hi, was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for bulk recipes?? I live alone and find that buying things fresh is costing me an arm and a leg, I'd like to be able to cook things that I can then freeze and have whenever i want..

I'm not a lazy cook, just dont want to be spending hours in the kitchen making meal after meal from scratch..

Also, can anyone suggest some tins of soups that are allowed? I'm really struggling with lunches, if i eat a meal, i tend to not eat the rest of the day which isnt doing me any good either...

Thanks

Sharon xx

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sharon
I find that home made soups freeze very well so you could make enough for 2 or 3 servings .Leek and celeriac makes nice soup if you just sweat the leeks in a little butter until they are soft and then add chopped celeriac (or swede) half milk and half water ,simmer gently for about 20 mins ,a pressure cooker is good only takes 10 mins I then add veg stock cube and wizz in food processer .Sorry I dont know quantities I always tend to make as much as I think I will need or how ever much of the ingredients I have to hand !If you experiment you can make lovely summer veg soup with peppers and courgette add a bit of cabbage to make it less expensive and some garlic to make it more healthy and tasty
CAROL

A

Anonymous

Thanks Carol, love my soups, just wasnt too sure on what was allowed, will give that one a go though, i used to make a lovely soup with cabbage and rice, but trying to stay away from rice now

Thanks again

Sharon xx

WhitbyJet

sharonmac said:
Thanks Carol, love my soups, just wasnt too sure on what was allowed, will give that one a go though, i used to make a lovely soup with cabbage and rice, but trying to stay away from rice now

Thanks again

Sharon xx

Sharon there are loads of recipes suitable for freezing, meatloaf for example, fish recipes can be frozen, veggie dishes, desserts, cakes, all can be frozen, take time to look through the recipe threads.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4871

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23840&hilit=chocolate+paradise

A

Anonymous

Thanks Whitby Jet, will have a proper look in morning, just so fed up with everything at minute, never once thought I'd have to worry about the thing i enjoy most....food

Sharon xx

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I make big stews and casseroles and portion-freeze them; also ratatouille, which can be eaten with lots of things, such as salmon, sausages, chops - even plain grated cheese.

I bought a great "ready meal" from the Co-op the other day - strips of butternut squash and courgette with garlic & lemon butter, ready to microwave. I added grated cheese and it made a fine supper for one. I think they intended it to be the veg for a full meal, but . . .!

At £2 it was probably more expensive than doing it myself, but there was no waste and no hassle, so worth it at the end of a long day.

Viv 8)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sharon try not to worry about food treat this as a challenge 8)
Stir fries with loads of different veg are good and if you do 2 different stir fries on different days maybe chicken 1 day prawns ,or beef then any leftover veg can be turned into soup and frozen or even cooked and used with some good quality low carb sausages to make an exotic bubble and squeak
The only time I really struggle is at a buffet last night we went to a wedding anniversary and every thing was very carby even the salads were pasta or rice based there were some chicken legs though and cheese and onion sticks so I filled my plate with those and also treated myself to a couple of small sausages on sticks ,so I had quite enough to eat even if it was a bit like hunt the thimble :roll:
Dont despair :thumbup:
CAROL

A

Anonymous

Thank you everyone, you have all given me some great ideas, first appointment with diabetic nurse is tomorrow, so at least i have some good ideas of what to eat etc now as I really dont fancy trying the NHS guide at all.

I'll get there!! :D

Thank you

sharon xx

Grazer

If you can't be bothered with making soup, I get a Baxters ****-a-leekie. Although it's got some rice in, it's only 5.6 grams carbs for half a tin, so no probs for a lunch or starter according to how low you're carbing. On days when I have a salad for my main meal (with meat, fish like smoked mackerel, etc) which is very low carb, I have half a can of soup for a starter.

Spiral

I'm a vegetarian and I low carb. I was a bit worried about being able to eat well when I had an op on my foot in April. I wasn't sure how long I was going to be off my feet. I live with a meat eating non low carbing teenager and I wanted to be able to feed both of us.

in the end I stocked up my freezer with individual portions of food I enjoy and some things for my son.

I have several diffiernt soups that freeze well and I put a couple of portions in a freezer container - for either 2 meals or me or me and someone else. I make almond bread and freeze that as individual slices.

I freeze frittata - although you do need to be careful as some times is can go soggy, although eating it up again oftern sorts that out.

i like the feta and aubergine pie in the Nerris and India Idiot proof diet, but I made it with the aubergine slices between layers of the spinach and feta mix in individual portions which froze well - this heats up well in the microwave.

I find chilli freezes well - but I use about 50/50 red kidney beans and soya beans to keep the carbs low.

As for fresh, I make big tubs of greek style salad with a lemon juce dressing and crumbled feta, this keeps a couple of days.

You need to experiement with what you enjoy and find out how it freezes.

A

Anonymous

Thank you everyone, I'm off to my first diabetic nurse appointment in an hour, so at least can relax a little after today, I'll be looking at all the recipes on here and your suggestions and try to make a few menus out of it, that way i can bulk make things and freeze them, trouble weith me is I never normally eat more than once a day, so its just getting into the habit of eating again...and not knowing what i'm really in mood of...I'll get there eventually

This site is wonderful and the members on it, always ready to help others, we need it

Thank you again

sharon xx

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I make in bulk all of the time - my favourites fro freezing are:

Cottage Pie (using cauli and celeriac for the topping)
Chill Con Carne (minus the beans)
All types of Curry (with PLENTY of veg!)

I get a 10 pack of mini foil trays w/lids from Wilko's for £1. Spend a Sunday afternoon cooking, and make sure there is stuff in the freezer for the nights that I don't fancy cooking, or when I come home late.

A

Anonymous

Patch said:
I make in bulk all of the time - my favourites fro freezing are:

Cottage Pie (using cauli and celeriac for the topping)
Chill Con Carne (minus the beans)
All types of Curry (with PLENTY of veg!)

I get a 10 pack of mini foil trays w/lids from Wilko's for £1. Spend a Sunday afternoon cooking, and make sure there is stuff in the freezer for the nights that I don't fancy cooking, or when I come home late.

oh thats the kinda things i like eating, sounds good to me

Thank you patch!!

Sharon xx

maggie2

I made loads of courgette and carrot soup this year and it freezes well. If you like courgette and have a spot where you could grow a couple of plants then you'll be well rewarded. I wasn't all that keen on this veg but now on a low carb diet I've found inventive ways to make it more palatable. Am going to look for a courgette cake recipe today as I've just picked another few. :D
I do ao long to have a tasty cottage pie but the beef here in France is tasteless even bio when I can afford it. :cry: I've tried combining it with pork or lamb and still it tastes like sawdust.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah - soups freeze great. Easy to make, and delicious.

A

Anonymous

Thanks maggie and patch..

Maggie, I love courgettes, used to make a veg lasagne with lots of it....Might look for a few recipes with them, thanks.

Patch, could i actually just use cauli for a cottage pie topping? I really dont like celeriac at all. I read somewhere that swede wasnt too good in carb content, I used to make a swede and carrot topping for my cottage pies when following a diet a few years back and it tasted deeelishhhh...Just wondering what other toppings i could use?

Thanks

sharon xx

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cauli would be fine on it's own. Bit of cream and S&P and your away...