Just diagnosed

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
it's very true actually - what Mick and others said about feeling better when you start gaining control - and it can be done with a little thought - I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders ... actually some people think I'm a little bit (read: totally) insane because of how happy I've become since being diagnosed --- here you have somebody young who has a lifelong illness and yet they are 10 million times happier that 2 months ago. Why? Because now I am in control, not some **** undiagnosed thing that nobody can see or feel. Now you have a word for why you feel so **** - and a course of action to enable the ****-ness to be lifted :)

all the best xxx

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Matt

it isn't all that bad, honest. I was diagnosed type 1 in April at 38 and I too did not realise all there is to diabetes at the time. Once you have seen a dietician and have had a chance to get your head round the whole thing you will start getting on with your life as you were before, only healthier.

I gave my family so leaflet to read so they undertood a bit more and my mum bought a little book. Unfortunatley my hubby still pretty much ignores it, although he can often tell if I am going hypo ( kind of like a sniffer dog!) even if I am only 3.9. My 4 year old son understands more and even pricks my finger - I have even let me inject me (with some guidance) so that he isn't scared of it and it is now normal to him! Although I have to say he almost delights in pricking me now :) Give yourself time and it will all come together so top speak - honest!

hth

Lou x

MaryChristine

Hi Matt

Just a quick word about possible complications of diabetes - yes, they they are scary but they are not inevitable. Concentrate on getting your blood glucose levels down, you'll find lots of helpful advice on this forum on how to do that. Don't dwell too much on possible complications but if you can't help thinking about them, try to think positively and use them as motivation to stick to whatever exercise, medication and food plans work for you.

Best wishes

MaryChristine

matt28781

thank you for the replys,

i have already started to make big changes to my lifestyle i dont normaly do any exersize at all EVER! but today i brought a multi gym and got up early and went for a run :shock:

also cut out all fizzy pop and chagned it with fizzy water.

iv just got to get my head around my diet the big problem is i have a low budget and i cant afford to buy health food so i have to do my best with what i have.

i see alot of people saying cut out the patatoes and rice etc but on my booklet from the docotrs it supporst eating mainly pasta rice and patatoes so whats the story there lol?

i tnink last night it really hit me hard sure there are worse things to have and this is totaly managable but this is for the rest of my days, no light to head for..no final goal or cure i guess thats what scares me :? .

that and all the conflicting info im getting.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Matt,
If you read the many threads on the forum around diet and carbohydrates, you will see a common theme - the out-of-date information that is still being given out by some health professionals verges on the criminal. Those people who try to follow the "eat plenty of starchy carbs" advice (or rather mis-advice) inevitably find their weight increases, their blood sugar increases, their medications have to be continually increased and they have absolutely no chance of gaining any kind of control over their diabetes. These are the people who, a few years down the line, suffer the sort of horrific complications that you were so alarmed at reading about. Have a read of the Success Stories thread and you will see what I mean.

When you look at what diabetes is - an inability to be able to process blood sugar - the solution to the problem is very logical. The carbohydrates in the food that we eat are converted to sugar by our digestive systems and are stored in the blood. These include what most of us would regard as good and essential carbs - those found in fruit and vegetables. These contain vitamins, minerals and fibre as well as the carbs. Against this are what are often referred to as "empty carbs" - these are sugar and the starchy foods like cereals, bread, pasta, potatoes and rice, that contain just carbs and very little else.

So, armed with that knowledge, when your body can't cope with the sugar in your blood, does it make any sense to eat foods that will simply create yet more blood sugar? The answer doesn't lie with health foods but with healthy foods - there is a big difference. You have already started to make changes by replacing the fizzy (and high sugar) pop with fizzy water. I wouldn't suggest that you simply cut out all the starchy foods from your diet, but try to reduce the portions and make up the difference with vegetables that are better for you. When you next buy bread, get a Nimble or Weightwatchers loaf instead of your normal one. These have half the carbs per slice that normal breads have, so without changing your bread consumption you can halve the carbs that you get from the bread.

You have already invested in some gym equipment but can I suggest that an even better investment for you is the "Diabetes Solution" book by Dr Richard Bernstein. This is generally regarded as the diabetic's bible. It does contain a lot of very low carb meal recommendations and this may be too low a level of carbs than you need - we are all different and each of us has a different level at which we are able to maintain control over our condition. To begin with I would ignore the recipes - they're only a small part of the book - of more value to you is the information that the author gives about the different types of diabetes and their treatment.

Just read the book and you will soon gain the understanding of your condition that you need in order to control it rather than it controlling you.

If you have any doubts or questions then please keep firing away and we will do all we can to help you. Good luck.

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
If you cant afford a copy of Dr Bernsteins book try reserving a copy at your library.

Katharine

Matt,

Some of the things you have told us sound a bit worrying to me. You are 27, have significant thirst problems and are not hugely overweight. It is possible that you actually may need insulin injections sooner rather than later. I suspect you could have type one diabetes. I think you would be best to see your GP again so he can consider referring you to hospital for another opinion about it. A c- peptide test and other antibody tests may be useful to find out what type you are.

Given your thirst and so forth it is reasonable for the doctor to try metformin first line. In the USA this is advocated from the time of diagnosis and there are good reasons why this is usually a good thing for type two diabetics and overweight type ones.

Do you have a family history of diabetes of either kind?
Did you lose weight?
Did the thirst/lethargy/weight loss start relatively suddenly?
Did you have a viral infection recently?

The complications of diabetes are indeed terrible. You can think of diabetes as a disease that prematurely ages your blood vessels and tissues. The good thing though is that the more normal your blood sugars are, the more self healing occurs. The worse your blood sugars, blood pressure and so forth the more the damage accelerates. For most diabetics with average control (hbaics 7.5-8.5) it takes 5-20 years to get noticeable complications.

You therefore have plenty of time to get to grips with sorting out your management plan.

Katharine.

matt28781

hi,

i cant trace anyone in my family that has had it, i havent lost any noticable weight to be honest and the enegry levals and other symptoms have been for along time they didnt just come on suddenly.

i will infact ask the doctor when i go back but i really dont want to challange his opinions he diagnosed type 2 instantly should he of waited for more tests first>?

Katharine

Hi Matt,

If your symptoms fo thirst and tiredness are longstanding and you have not lost any weight this makes it LESS likely that you will need insulin to start with.

If your blood sugar was very high diabetes can be diagnosed even on a single test. Your GP may want to do further tests not so much to check the diagnosis but to check how your blood sugars are doing. I would expect you to be given a clinic appointment quite soon when you will indeed get a battery of tests.

Provided you don't get iller or thirstier or nauseated or start losing weight you can see how things go for now. If you do get iller, thirstier or nauseated or start losing weight you need to see the doctor or go to A and E if it is the weekend.

matt28781

hi kathrine,

i had the other bloods done that same day and have a follow up in 2 weeks time. my blood sugar was 17 but i did drink lots of pop before hand.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Matt
diabetes is controllable and in general people who control it don't get complications. There are a couple of basic strategies for controlling the amount of glucose circulating in your blood.
1) The most logical is not to eat stuff that turns to glucose, that means, sugars and starches.( now you have to learn where they lurk)
2) The method favoured by most, but not all, medics. Eat what you like and take a shedload of medicine to counteract it.
3) Somewhere in between the 2
All of them are designed for getting your blood glucose to as near as posssible a non-diabetic level ( 4.5 - 5.5) You need to learn as much as you can before you can make a truly informed decision on which path you choose and which suits you best.
Get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. This book has it all. Read David Mendosa's website and the Dsolve website. Read our threads, especially the one on success stories. The first objective must be to get those numbers down. Circulating glucose is toxic to your micro blood vessels and nerve tissues and other systems.

Trinkwasser

matt28781 said:
the doctor was very rude and made me feel very uneasy the first thing he said to me is lets hope you have a future.

So what does your new doctor say? <G> This one sounds like a plonker and in need of replacement, can you ask around your friends colleagues and pharmacists, see if they can recommend a better one?

Meanwhile have a read round here

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

OK he's a personal friend who I have known for years, but apart from that he has an engineering background which is useful in analysing what is occurring, and an excellent way of explaining things simply

The absolute key to this disease is to TEST and modify your diet according to the results. Your doctor will almost certainly not permit you to do this but it really is worth springing for your own meter and test strips otherwise you have no clue as to what is occurring and whether you are improving things. The rest of the treatment consists of exercise (growing and using muscle reduces insulin resistance) and medications.

Trinkwasser

matt28781 said:
so just a quick question.. is weight lifting a good idea?

in general yes

BUT

keep a close eye on your numbers while doing any form of exertion, you may find you run your BG low or you may find it jumps up seemingly on its own, and you may find such effects differ at different times of day. You will probably need to tinker with your carb input and BG levels to achieve this without tears.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
In terms of long term control, lifting weights improves muscle percentage and that in turn aides the body's own system to deal with insulin .. or so I read someplace or another ... don't quote me ;) x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I like using weights,in my job muscles are very useful! :D Usually do about half n hour with weights a day.Now have biceps like Hulk Hogan.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Matt
Diabetes might be a burden at the moment, but once you learn what to do and get control, it can be shrunk down to a mere nuisance. one you mustn't forget, but which you don't need to allow to stand in your way. You'll have to take charge of it. Whatever your care team tell you and however good they are, you will have to be the one in command.

matt28781

i have to say you are all amazing on here. i would be lost already if i hadnt found this place.

im still new to all this as in which foods to eat what exercise to do etc etc so much to learn. im trying to take it slowly so it doesnt go straight out of my head again.

but let me thank you all from my heart for all the advice given already.

matt :D

nicx

I was diagnosed with type 2 in May and have just been on the DESMOND course at Lewisham Hospital which was quite informative about diabetes. :)

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi nicx,
Welcome to the forum, like you I was diagnosed T2 1 month earlier. I went on the Desmond course, while I found most of the course helpful the dietary side did nothing for me, it only served to increase my BG levels. Thankfully I found this forum and tried the low carb diet the result being I now have control over my BG and have no need for medication. It was down to trial and error balancing the carbs but I got there in the end. If you read through some of the carb related threads you can see what can be achieved. Its your decision in the end but it worked for me and many other T2s on the forum.

Best of luck Graham

nicx said:
I was diagnosed with type 2 in May and have just been on the DESMOND course at Lewisham Hospital which was quite informative about diabetes. :)