gastric by-pass

highdownview

hi,
I'm on metformin, levemir and rapid insulin.
When I was put on insulin I was warned it can cause weight gain. two stone later I'm now classed as morbidly obese and in clothes size 22.
I've attended 2 cycles of a feeling good weight management group over the last year, and have only managed to loose 17lb.( I also have fibromyalgia which doesn't help) at the moment I'm waiting to hear if I'm suitable and considered 'ready' for a gastric by-pass.
I have been told that its the only way to permanently loose weight, I'm aware of the possible complications and the greatly reduced portion sizes. I don't binge or over eat, yet I struggle to loose weight.
I have a friend who is very anti me having a gastric by-pass and is rather vocal and oppinionated about it and says that I won't be able to eat normally or eat what I want.(I should at this point say he knows very little about diabetes, and how it globally affects the body) to which I replied that I don't eat what I want as it is.
So, has anyone had a by-pass and did it make them feel better, and need less medication?

Ashleigh

i was size 22 at my biggest, maybe slightly bigger and the dr said my bmi wasn't in the range to be considered. I'm five foot one, and i read something the other day that said the criteria to be considered needs your bmi to be 40 or above but i don't know how accurate that is.

also, i just have to say, that gastric surgery isnt the only way to lose wright and keep it off permanently. i thought nothing would work for me, but then i discovered atkins, and now running. now i run, I'm.confident that i won't put it back on once i've lost it - but everyone responds differently to different things. i.hope you rdoctor has good news for you :)

Elc1112

Ok, in know it's not the same, but I had a breast reduction earlier this year. I was a 28j and the **** things were giving me so much back, neck and shoulder pain. I was a 28 back so it was very unlikely that losing any weight would have made a difference.

Anyway, I was struggling with back, neck and shoulder pain. This was leading to bad headaches and problems with my spine. They were also causing a range of emotional and psychological issues.

I decided that a breast reduction operation was my only option (after exhausting and and other available option). Some of my family were really opposed to me having this op, similar to your friends are now.

I really felt like this was my only option and there really weren't any other options that I could see. I went ahead with the op and it really was the best decision I have ever made. I'm a 30b/c now (still a bit swollen), have no back ache and am in proportion for the first time since I was a teenager!

As I said, completely different op but I still had to face the potantional complications and a load of resistance from friends and family. The important thing is that you do the op for you. You need to be aware of te potential risks and benefits.

A gastric bypass will mean that you have to eat smaller meals for the rest of your life, but you seem to be aware of this and, more importantly, happy with this. Sure, there are a lot of other considerations but, again, you seem to have taken these on board.

All I would say is make sure you have weighed (no pin intended!) up all the options as make this decision for you. Once you have decided 100% what you want be clear with your friends and family - this is you decision and you have made your mind up. While you appreciate their concern, you need and want their support, nor their criticism.

Hopefully somebody will be a long soon who has actually been through the gastric bypass op. Unfortunately there does seem to be a lot of stigma around this type of op, so you probably will get a lot of opinions thrown your way. Consider all the pros and cons and make the decision that is right for you - only you can make that (with input from your doctor).

I am going to stop waffling now and go tend to my hangover (I only had two glasses (albeit large) of wine. Such a lightweight. Pathetic!). Good luck with everything. Take care.

Emma x

Elc1112

Ps sorry about the bad spelling. Small keys + big thumbs + too much wine last night = lots of typos and an inability to use grammar correctly!

highdownview

Hi Ashleigh, I can't remember my bmi but I was nearly 19 stone, and I seem to have shrunk from the 5'7 1/2" in my teens to 5'6" at 48, so the increased height/weight ratio would have increased and that would have upped my bmi.
at the last feeling good session there were a couple of ladies who had undergone the gastric by-pass, and they were very positive, but they weren't diabetic.

Ashleigh

what about something less invasive, like a gastric balloon? they just stick a tube down your throat, insert a balloon, inflate it,then remove the tube. its also only semi permanent.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I found this article about the pros and cons. If you have not seen it before it might be worth a read.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/vbowen7/

This is a very personal decision and only you can decide what is best for you.

Good luck in making that decision. I hope somebody comes forward who has had the operation.

Una

Hi All,

Well i hope to b able to answer your questions personally after 12 Oct when i have my Gastric Bypass :clap:
Its been a long journey getting to a date all types of test and Psychological reports, and many group meetings.
The info I have is that i will stop all MEDS THE DAY OF THE op. and the likely hood is that i will no longer need them. There are facebook groups where loads of people have stories to tell, Most say4 yrs after still Off the meds.

My line is i would rather loose a piece of my stomach, have food issues maybe for 2 yrs hopefully less lose 75-80% of my Excess weight( with exercise)than Loose My Feet,Sight, mental abilities and all the other stuff that comes with Db :wave:

I may be Mad but not clinically, I have a report to say so :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Una - keep us up-to-date. I really hope it all goes well for you! :thumbup:

highdownview

We were told about 'dumping syndrome' and it sounded scary. Then blow me, a couple of days later I had a blood reading of 17. The symptoms were exactly as the dumping syndrome. I was worried as I'd taken insulin. It was only then that I realised I'd broken the first rule of taking insulin. Check the expiry date!!!!! It ran out in April...how it'd sat in the fridge so long I don't know. At least I know now, should I have the op, what dumping syndrome feels like and not put myself at risk.
Today I was daft, I travelled from littlehampton to Plymouth to take my daughters stuff for uni. I put in fresh insulin syringes in the cool bag, but when I was half way there and had lunch, realised I hadn't put my kit in my handbag, so I had no needles!!!!!
Thanks to technology I was able to phone a doctors surgery in Plymouth and was able to collect a prescription en route... How good was that!!!

Rustysmum

I have type 2 diabetes, I had a duodenal switch (Bypass) 8 years ago and I haven't looked back since.
I was Just under 20stone and 5ft3ins when I went for my op, on metformin and gliclazide. Now I am on diet only, am much healthier and more active than before. My HbA1c is 5.4 but my GP insists on all the checks still just to make sure.

If you want to know more about weight loss surgery look at this website, it gave me loads of help before and after my surgery -
www.wlsinfo.org.uk

Best of luck.