Celeriac

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,

I have heard Celeriac mention a few times on here and I have just ordered one. I have a soup recipe to use it in. My question though is this, how do I use it, prepare it? Ive never used it before. From the picture it looks to me like a swede. Can anyone please advise me what I can do with it?

Thanks

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its a pretty ugly veg and a ****** to chop, but it does make good chips, roasted in the oven with salt and pepper, you can also do dauphinois with it, slice it finely then layer it in a roasting pan with cream butter and salt and pepper. Or make it into soup.

WhitbyJet

Lenny3 said:
Hi,

I have heard Celeriac mention a few times on here and I have just ordered one. I have a soup recipe to use it in. My question though is this, how do I use it, prepare it? Ive never used it before. From the picture it looks to me like a swede. Can anyone please advise me what I can do with it?

Thanks

These are my all time favourite celeriac dishes

http://shelikesherfood.wordpress.com/20 ... uphinoise/ and

Celeriac Roesti

400 g grated celeriac

olive oi/butter/ghee or a mix of both - whatever you want to use for fryingl

1 onion, thinly sliced

2 cloves minced garlic

salt & pepper

1 good handful of grated parmesan cheese

Cut the onion and garlic, melt ghee/butter and fry on medium heat for approx. 10 minutes until onions are really soft, but do not have coluor.

Add the grated celeriac, salt and pepper, and stirring frequently cook further for 20 minutes until celery root is soft.
Allow to cool slightly and mix in the Parmesan cheese.
Shape this mixture into balls, place on a lined, greased baking tray and flatten slightly.Place in the oven and cook at 200 degrees for 20 minutes, until rösti is golden and crispy.

Serve these with a dip of your choice, but especially good is creme fraiche mixed with a little horseradish sauce or creme fraiche mixed with finely chopped chives or lemon mayonnaise.

Here are some photos for you to see what this dish looks like, totally YUMMY.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... trsti.html

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You need a GOOD knife to cut celeriac, but it's worth it.
It makes excellent chips; boiled it can be a puree or mixed with other pureed veggies. A Julienne in a vinegar dressing is a nice addition o salads. Celeriac soup is delicious too.
Hana

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac can be used in lasagne instead of the pasta sheets
Celeriac and leek soup is easy and delicious just soften the leek in a little butter add chopped celeriac season cover with half milk and water cook for about 20-30 mins then blitz add a little fresh parsley and a swirl of cream
CAROL

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I eat a couple of celeriacs a week, buy them from Morrisons or Tescos £1 to £1.50 each depending on size. Also occasionally buy them at Lidls. You can actually do anything with them that you can do with a potato. I use them for roasties, chips and mash, though my favourites are cheese and celeriac pie or cottage/shepherds pie with celeriac mash.

All the best

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Thanks for the ideas guys. Mine should arrive tonight, I did my shopping online with Sainsburys as they had a £10 off first shop voucher.

I love the sound of those Roesti WJ. Shall give those ago.

Defren

I LOVE celeriac chips. Cut celeriac into chips, par boil then put into hot oil in the oven and bake. Drool!!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Im so pleased I found Celeriac thanks to you guys!!!!

Last night I enjoyed sauages with mash, onion and gravy!!!!!! It was amazing. Never thought Id have mash again. From now on I will always have Celeriac in my fridge!!