Tablets (oral)
A slice of Burgen contains:

11.9 grams of cabe
2.2 grams of sugar

A slice of Hovis Hearty Oat contains:

16.4 grams of carb
1.2 grams of sugar

Which is best?

Do I minimise the carb or minimise the sugar?

SweetHeart

I would say minimise the carbs - very basically carbs are sugars, so you must count the total carbs not just the sugar. All carbs will convert to glucose.

I'm sure someone will be along with a better explanation soon!

Ju

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sterling!

I'd always opt for the lower carb. The 'of sugar' bit might hit your BGs more quickly, but it's the overall carb content that's important in my view. Now, if there was an order of magnitude difference in the 'of sugar' part but only a small difference in the overall carb, a Type 2 might be wise to have a few more carbs, but a slower absorption and therefore less of a spike. I'll let other Type 2s comment on that. For me, I minimise carb followed by minimising sugar.

Smidge

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Dont quite understand some of the responses, usually when a food content states X grams of carbs, Y grams of sugar, the key number is the carbs, as the carbs INCLUDES the sugars.
Sometimes you will see that a food contains for example 20 grams of carbs OF WHICH 3 grams are sugar.

You wil never see a label stating a food contains 20 grams of sugar of which 3 grams are carbs.

This is why you should never purchase diabetic foods!!

If you go to the health shops you can buy sugar free sweets that contain no sugar, hence good for diabetics? WRONG!!

They contain typically 98% Carbs - Very bad for diabetics......!!!

All the best

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is why you should never purchase diabetic foods!!

If you go to the health shops you can buy sugar free sweets that contain no sugar, hence good for diabetics? WRONG!!

They contain typically 98% Carbs - Very bad for diabetics......!!
I agree that they aren't necessarily a good idea but not for the reason you say.
I've got in front of me a packet of Ricola sweets that are 'sans sucre' .The label says per 100g : carbs 97 of which sucres 0g, polyols 97g.
Polyols are nutritive sweeteners, that means that they have calories (about 2.4 calories a gram in my packet) . That's different to non nutritive sweeteners, eg. aspartame/saccharine etc, which have none. Polyols are carbohydrates but are not sugars or starches and normally have very little effect on the glucose levels ( can vary a bit according to sweetner and individual reactions;)

In this case the ingredients tell me it's isomalt but it could have been others such as sorbitol, glycerol, maltitol, xylitol, and mannitol.
Research shows that isomalt doesn't do much to either insulin levels (in those that have their own) or glucose levels. If someone with type 1 ate a few of them and injected for them , they'd end up very hypo if they used the carb count at face value.
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_08_b70.htm

However because they aren't absorbed they are fermented in the intestine. Again people react in varied ways but they can be very laxative and cause some people to get a lot of intestinal gas and feel very uncomfortable.

Roman

As a lover of bread and on a low carb diet I am always checking the carb contents of bread at the supermarket.

My favourite (and the lowest carb count I've found) is Kolos Ukranian Rye bread. The info label says it contains 29g of carb per 100g .... of which 6g is fibre giving an available carb content of 23g per 100g.

It's a sourdough loaf made with rye flour - and gas a scattering of caraway seeds in it. It's delicious and it freezes well.

It's available in our area (Lancashire) at Booths supermarkets but if you go to their web site (kolosbakery.co.uk) they do a mail order - next day service.

Being of Polish descent it's soul food to me .... and very tasty !

Grazer

Sounds interesting roman. Might give it a go. Regarding diabetic foods, I'm with Phoenix. Some don't like them, some get upset tummies (probably from eating too much) but the chocolate I get has polyols but is about half the carbs of a normal bar. Even then those Half only count for half again according to my meter. I also have diabetic jam from tip tree which has no added sugar, no polyols and just natural fructose. It's again half the carbs of normal jam and tastes really nice. I now get cavalier chocolates from Belgium which are sweetened with Stevia, a natural product, and are about one third the carbs if the normal equivalent. So I guess I'm saying not all diabetic food is as bad as the establishment likes to claim.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shopping in Tesco's last weekend and they didn't have my favourite Burgen Soya & Linseed, decided to try the Hovis Seed Sensations which contains 7 different seeds, it's not much more in carbs than Burgen at 13.8g a slice and is very nice too.

Roman

As a general rule I avoid anything labelled 'diabetic' and anything I pick up from a supermarket shelf that doesn't have a label quoting the amount of carb goes straight back !

I like chocolate as a treat (who doesn't ?) and I buy Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate. It only contains 22.2g of carb for the entire bar (100g) ..... and it's very tasty !