I am confused re carbs.

grotbags

I am very confused regarding carbs in my diet.

I am T2 and have always been advised by my diabetic nurse to include carbs at every meal.

Now after reading a few threads on here am not so sure that this is the correct advice.

Oh hecky thump I hate being confused :roll:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
grotbags said:
I am very confused regarding carbs in my diet.

I am T2 and have always been advised by my diabetic nurse to include carbs at every meal.

Now after reading a few threads on here am not so sure that this is the correct advice.

Oh hecky thump I hate being confused :roll:

If you're eating to your DNs advice and still getting high readings try eating LCHF = Low Carb High Fat

All you need to know is on here - http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

The myth is that if we don't eat bread, cakes, biscuits, sweets, sugar, rice, pasta - we're not getting any carbs. When what we're really not getting is FAST ACTING, PROCESSED CARBS which are bad for diabetics.

Some of us can tolerate a lot, others only a little, some of us almost NO processed carbs.

But we still get SLOW CARBS from fruit and veg.

I would say try eating according to the above website for a week and see what happens. Test your blood levels 1-2 hours after a meal and you'll KNOW what makes your BG go up or stay relatively stable. :)

A

Anonymous

That's good advice grotbags. As Grace says - try low carbing for a week, after all what have you got to lose? Think of it as an experiment - you might be surprised.

Swim

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
grotbags said:
Thank you so much GraceK and swimmer2 for your replies.

You're welcome. I was totally confused about what to eat 8 weeks ago, but now one thing I'm certain of is that eating simple carbs is definitely NOT GOOD FOR ME. That doesn't mean the same for you, but you'll have to do your own homework to find out.

I'm learning as I go, from other people. Don't have to do it all at once, just start somewhere and keep going. My next aim is to make some of the cake recipes I've learned on here and to use cinnamon in my general cooking.

I now love my food and I eat to live. Eight weeks ago I hated food and was at a loss about what I could eat that didn't make me feel ill. Big difference in 8 weeks. :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The advice that you should have carbs with every meal is pure bunkum. There is no evidence whatsoever that provides a basis for this old wives tale. It's based on the fact that the brain does need carbs to survive but you get enough from a wide range of 'non-carby' foods. No one suggests you should eliminate carbs entirely but you do need to keep them down and they are not necessary with every meal. This type of NHS advice makes me wonder what other nonsense is given out for other illnesses?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Daibell said:
Hi. The advice that you should have carbs with every meal is pure bunkum. There is no evidence whatsoever that provides a basis for this old wives tale. It's based on the fact that the brain does need carbs to survive but you get enough from a wide range of 'non-carby' foods. No one suggests you should eliminate carbs entirely but you do need to keep them down and they are not necessary with every meal. This type of NHS advice makes me wonder what other nonsense is given out for other illnesses?

Unfortunately, a lot of bunkum is given out. And we need to remember that the NHS is a national organisation run on national guidelines. We also need to remember that Governments need to work out how best to provide food for people of all income levels.

Did you ever hear of an aristocrat child who was given 'sugar sandwiches' during and after the war? I doubt it. But I knew lots of kids from large families who had to make do with a 'sugar butty' as we called them, for their tea because that's all their parents could afford.

There are those who can afford the very best and there are those who can't and so Governments and manufacturers develop foodstuffs that are relatively cheap and filling but not nutricious and they advertise them to the hilt. Also how often do we hear "Oh they're nice, OK for the kids." about some cheap food or other, as if it's OK to feed the kids on ****, when really it's vitally important to feed kids on nutricious foods, not bulking agents like pasta and noodles. Now the fashion is the '5 a day' thing with fruit and veg. How often do you hear "Make sure your child has at least 6oz of decent meat or fish a day"?

It's all down to economics and whatever foods are available and at what cost.

I know what I need to eat and I know what to stop wasting my money on now. The dizziness I experience when I haven't eaten enough protein and fat tells me and no amount of filling up on carbs takes that dizziness away. So what I save on useless carbs I spend on nourishing proteins and my lovely single cream. :)

carbo

Unfortunately many in the NHS go with the myth you need carbs at every meal. Cut down on all sugary items, Eat bread and potatos in moderation. Rice and pasta is high carbs so none or very little. Only sugra free drinks other than tea and coffee. You will get most of the carbs you need from fruit. I check my BG before going to bed and if low have a snack.

A

Anonymous

carbo said:
You will get most of the carbs you need from fruit.

You should get most of your carbs from Veg not fruit. Most fruit will push you levels up