Inspiration needed for a special birthday gift

Defren

While reading the wonderful news of Bio and Mrs Bio's new addition, I got thinking about my own girls. My darling eldest will be sweet sixteen in January, and I want to get her something that is so special it is appropriate for such a special birthday, but something she can perhaps use/keep/treasure.

I thought of a special watch, but that seems rather old fashioned somehow, so I am now stuck. She has never been a child who asks for much. She likes clothes, her games console and her laptop. She is very family orientated, as I have said before, only going out one evening through the week, so she can get all her homework done, and then like today, she will meet up with friends in town. Sundays she spends at home. This routine is all of her own making, her education is paramount to her.

So what do you get a girl who is not materialistic, a studyaholic, and has all the things she wants? She has asked for just clothes for Christmas, so what? I could go the jewelry route, but isn't that perhaps a bit samey? Maybe it's me, but I just can't think even where to start looking. I want this gift to say how proud of her I am and how much I love her, while showing this birthday is very special.

Help!

WhitbyJet

I made a very special photo album for my son and daughter not for the youngest yet.
I put in my special treasures eg the first curly lock of hair. The first baby tooth cards and paintings they gave to my husband and I as gifts over the years.
Lots of special anecdotes and memories to keep forever with films of when they were little and so on.
Its a box full of love and yes I did put in some jewellery as well though.
Happy birthday to your special daughter, she is lucky to have you as her Mum.
All the best to you and yours x x

Fraddycat

Whitby's idea sounds so special - what a brilliant suggestion. Another suggestion is a Tiffany Key necklace (its something my daughter's girlfriends clubbed together to buy her for her 18th birthday and she was so overwhelmed). Or you could arrange to go to a show/fancy dinner as a family. I've got a similar problem, my daughter will be 21 soon and will graduate uni in the same year and I am stumped at what to get her for those two events :)

Fraddycat

Ooo just thought, what about a personal shopper and a voucher for some clothes. Larger department stores offer personal shoppers for no extra cost. Or a makeover/manicure/pedicure at a beauticians followed by a professional photo shoot ...

andybob

How about a rosebush named after her that you can then grow in the garden; or a star these are readily available on the internet. Or what about a subscription to Genes reunited or ancestry.com so that she could trace her/your family tree to see where the family comes from. or what about an antique something - jewellery or jewellery box. if shes adventurous what about skydiving or white water rafting a once in a lifetime event! or tea at the Savoy followed by shopping in Bond/Regent/Oxford street.
Just a few ideas for you to toy with.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My Dad bought me a lovely Parker fountain pen when Iwent to secondary school. It had my name engraed on it. I kept it for years and used it all the time until my husband borrowed it, stepped on it and destroyed it about 25 years after I was given it. My daughter bought me an almost identical replacement a few years ago. I use it a lot, and fill it with purple ink. that's in memory of my dad too. He used violet ink for all his wartime diaries.
I know fountain pens are not fashionable, but for a studious girl, they write so beautifully. I always use it for personal letters. The compter is good for business correspondence, But.....
Hana

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One of the things I remember most about my 18th was the bunch of flowers I was given. My first ever real proper grown up bunch of flowers from the florists with lots of cellophane and ribbons. That made me feel really special.

I think a Hana's idea of a special pen in a nice box is great for a girl who is really into her studies. You could get it engraved with a special message from you.

Vicky

Tracey69

HI
What about a sweet sixteen party, if your that brave, or what about having some professional photo taken of her or you can buy vouchers for a model shoot. You can get these from WHSmith or look it up on line.
What ever you decide on she will treasure for ever.
Take care
Tracey

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Defren!

Is there a special book that you could buy your daughter? I think a lovely book that means something to her that you can write a message in would be something she could keep forever and always remember you and her special birthday when she opens it.

Smidge

Nikkig

Grazer said:
I'd simply settle for a 1970 4.2 litre E Type jaguar roadster.

You and me both Grazer!!!! :D

I know you thought jewellery was a bit naff, but how about a charm bracelet that you can add to at Christmas and birthdays?

shop

Have to agree WJ's idea the 1st thing that came to mind for me was memories . not saying that tangible things arnt nice but if your Daughter is family orientated then I would imagine memories would be very precious and wouls grow more special as the years go by.....xxx

Lucy.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Defren. :)

up up and away,

What a day in the air, Air Balloon trip, or any day out that your daughter will always remember.

Any whatever she gets it wont be as nice as the cake her mum makes.

Roy the plonker. :)

MaryJ

Hi jo

Panodra charm bracelets are nice, and can be added to at other special occaisions

mary x

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a program on my computer that takes photographs and turns then into a really clever photo slide show with really great movements and transitions and added our wesding music and creates a proper DVD slides how to play in any DVD player. I did one with all our wedding photos for parents and family. (We had disposable cameras put on all tables and places around the venue). It's great.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi defren.
Given the fact your daughter is studious, family loving orientated lovely young lady maybe a charm bracelet?
As there are both pandora or the thomas sabo charms symbolic as a book,love/family related charms,
girly charms too like lipstick,hair comb/brush, handbags also musical and animal related charms as well.
There are loads of these to choose from - so plenty of choice...
There could be a few to pick out relevant to your daughters gifts and personality...
These can be added to the charm bracelet over her 18th, 21st birthdays also.
She can wear it whenever daily or special times/occassions too.
The choice of future charms could be her own choices after you suprise her with it on her 16th birthday!
Just an extra thought - idea for you :idea:
Anna.

Defren

I am genuinely overwhelmed with all the wonderful idea's suggested, what a wonderfully creative group of people we have on this forum, thank you everyone (even Sheepy who I plan to run over in my car :lol: ). It's heartwarming to know, whatever little issues as well as big ones someone has, a cry for help is answered in such an amazing way.

There have been two things amongst all these wonderful idea's that have caught my eye. The memory box being the first, I have so many things from and about her growing up, and of course her baby book, that I plan making her just such a box. I think I like the idea of presenting her with a box containing all her memories, and tickets to a west end show, dinner and as we live a good way from London, a night in a swanky hotel. Her little sister wants to have a bespoke necklace made with 16 on it, and I like that idea too. I also love the idea of a professional portrait session. It would we wonderful to have her all made up for the show, and pictures taken before we go. It will take some planning, but I have friends in London who would no doubt help with the planning and then the doing on the day. Hana's idea of a fountain pen was also something I like. She loves pens and stationary, and buys new things quite often, so I do believe a special pen would be ideal. Her birthday is actually on a school day, so all the plans would have to be for the weekend, but a bouquet on the day would be lovely.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions, I will let you know exactly what we do, when it happens. :D