Bread

M

Maybird

I notice reading the posts that a lot of you eat Burgen Soya and Linseed bread is this bread better for diabetics than wholemeal or multi grain bread

Hilary

Grazer

It has les carbs per slice, and is reportedly lower GI so doesn't give such quick or high rises in BG. I eat it, and compared to multigrain, I get readings 1 mmol lower two hours after a sandwich. Wholemeal is not much better than white.

KennyS

I can eat no more than a half a slice at a time without a fair bump in my readings and only in conjunction with a full meal. I have tried to smother it with butter and peanut butter to no avail. Its disappointing to me because I really like sandwiches..... guess I will just have to build me a loaf I can eat. Been experimenting with cereals.. got one that 'kinda' palatable.... back to the lab.

Kenny

MaryJ

Same here with 'normal' bread so just don't bother

I treat myself sometime to a piece of naan bread on a saturday, the rise negated by the fat in the curry and the wine I drink, recently tho' I've just not been bothered with it

Mary x

KennyS

Defren said:
I can't 'do' shop bought bread at all, I make my own if I want it. Even Burgen spikes me.

What kind of recipe do you use. As I am new to this business my wife and I are experimenting with almond and coconut flours but haven't had good success with muffins so taking on bread at this point is probably futile. Have noticed a large interest in psyllium husk as a gluten replacement in yeast breads. That sounds interesting. At any rate, any guidance to a nice sandwich capable bread would be very appreciated.

Kenny

Defren

KennyS said:
Defren said:
I can't 'do' shop bought bread at all, I make my own if I want it. Even Burgen spikes me.

What kind of recipe do you use. As I am new to this business my wife and I are experimenting with almond and coconut flours but haven't had good success with muffins so taking on bread at this point is probably futile. Have noticed a large interest in psyllium husk as a gluten replacement in yeast breads. That sounds interesting. At any rate, any guidance to a nice sandwich capable bread would be very appreciated.

Kenny

These are bread rolls, the ingredients make 4 rolls. I think this was a recipe from Whitby Jet, but I can't remember to be honest.

20g Sesame seeds
15g Oatbran
10g Sunflower seeds
6g flax
40g grated cheese
4 eggs
1 table spoon psyllum husk
pinch of salt
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons nigella seeds (optional)

All I do is mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix the wet in another, then combine. If after a few minutes the mixture is still too thin and runny add another tablespoon of oatbran. Once the mixture is of a good consistency, spoon it equally between four baking rings. I bake at around 150 until a skewer comes out clean.

[edit to add] the nigella seeds are optional, but the taste and aroma they add to the rolls makes them as vital an ingredient as any other when I make them. I get nigella seeds from ebay.

KennyS

Defren said:
KennyS said:
Defren said:

Kenny

These are bread rolls, the ingredients make 4 rolls. I think this was a recipe from Whitby Jet, but I can't remember to be honest.

20g Sesame seeds
15g Oatbran
10g Sunflower seeds
6g flax
40g grated cheese
4 eggs
1 table spoon psyllum husk
pinch of salt
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons nigella seeds (optional)

All I do is mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix the wet in another, then combine. If after a few minutes the mixture is still too thin and runny add another tablespoon of oatbran. Once the mixture is of a good consistency, spoon it equally between four baking rings. I bake at around 150 until a skewer comes out clean.

[edit to add] the nigella seeds are optional, but the taste and aroma they add to the rolls makes them as vital an ingredient as any other when I make them. I get nigella seeds from ebay.

Do you see a difference in your BS with the oat bran? I have tried rolled oats, steel cut oats and neither do me well. So pretty well ruled out anything with oats.

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I struggled with bread after diagnosis, as it was something I used to love. I tried the burgen bread, but to me it tasted awful.

My wife found something called Warburtons Sandwich Thins in a supermarket, apparently they are near the pitta breads. They are like a small slice of bread that is sliced. I use they at breakfast with an egg, or for a sandwich.

The wholemean ones are 100 cals per thin, and only 20.1g carbs, including 2.1g of sugar, and they actually taste quite nice to me.

Not much use if you are on v low carb, but I am medium (130-140g a day), and they fit into my diet quite well.

Reactions: dawny1966

Defren

KennyS said:
Do you see a difference in your BS with the oat bran? I have tried rolled oats, steel cut oats and neither do me well. So pretty well ruled out anything with oats.

No, none at all. These are really low carb, I worked them out to be 5g of carb per roll, and as they are quite substantial, one is more than enough.

Defren

Caterham said:
Hi All

I struggled with bread after diagnosis, as it was something I used to love. I tried the burgen bread, but to me it tasted awful.

My wife found something called Warburtons Sandwich Thins in a supermarket, apparently they are near the pitta breads. They are like a small slice of bread that is sliced. I use they at breakfast with an egg, or for a sandwich.

The wholemean ones are 100 cals per thin, and only 20.1g carbs, including 2.1g of sugar, and they actually taste quite nice to me.

Not much use if you are on v low carb, but I am medium (130-140g a day), and they fit into my diet quite well.

They are much higher than I could dream of tolerating, but as you rightly say, for people who can tolerate higher carbs, they could work out well.

Grazer

Defren said:
Caterham said:
Hi All

Don't quite get it - is that 20.1 grams carbs per slice, because that's as much or more than normal bread. Or is that 20.1 grams per 100, which is quite good?

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Grazer

It's 20.1 grams for both slices combined, so each slice is just over 10, which is a lot lower than other bread.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finally gave up trying to simulate bread a few years back and gave it up entirely. I do miss it but anything I tried to 'replace' it with was simply not the same and some of it was vile.

I had nimble in the early days, it's about 9g per slice but as with all commercial breads, if I have a loaf in the house, I will eat my way through a loaf as fast as possible. I've had a packet of mama Lupees wraps in the freezer for months but again, I will enjoy them so much, I will find an excuse to eat them all! Going without bread is much easier than I thought it would be.

wiflib

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I replace it with MEAT. Slices of Roast Beef, smothered in butter. YUM.

DickM

I have three slices of Low GI bread a week, always at breakfast time with either a poached egg or scrambled eggs with a tomato.
My only other treat is 3 crispbreads at lunchtime with Granovita mushroom paste and raw fresh chillis chopped on top and a good handful of fresh raw onions..
The crispbreads don't seem to affect me as my Sugars are down to 6.5 2 hrs after lunch.

andrew_333

I generally eat Hovis Original Wheatgerm, which is 9.7g carbs per slice - though the slices are rather small. Burgen is acceptable, but it just doesnt seem like "real" bread.

TUI

We've been trying food doctor pittas, just one filled with chicken and salad and a bit of yoghurt with lime. results at the moment very good.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Richard Nikoley of "Free The Animal" blog has been experimenting with something he calls "fat bread". Looks and sounds pretty delicious. I don't have a food processor, so haven't tried the recipe, but have heard a few sources say it's great. George of Civilized Caveman is also playing around with the recipe. For people who really miss bread it might be worth a try.

http://freetheanimal.com/2012/07/fat-br ... ished.html