Damaged Hearts Pump Better When Fueled With Fats

Defren

This is from May 2011 is new to me, so I thought I would share, as it opens up a debate which is not only raging here on this forum, but in other places too. I am a proponent of a high fat diet, and my views are pretty well known, as are some other posters. For newbies, this could be a way for us all to put forward our theories and why we hold them. What scientific reports/trials swayed the way we think about dietary fat. http://www.case.edu/medicus/breakingnew ... ndfat.html

Contrary to what we’ve been told, eliminating or severely limiting fats from the diet may not be beneficial to cardiac function in patients suffering from heart failure, a study at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine reports. Results from biological model studies conducted by assistant professor of physiology and biophysics Margaret Chandler, PhD, and other researchers, demonstrate that a high-fat diet improved overall mechanical function, in other words, the heart’s ability to pump, and was accompanied by cardiac insulin resistance.

I found this report from here: http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/heart- ... t-diet.htm

High fat feeding-induced alterations in gene expression related to energy metabolism and specific signaling pathways revealed promising targets through which high saturated fat potentially mediates cardioprotection," said the researchers, led by Dr Margaret Chandler, assistant professor of physiology and biophysics at Case Western.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here's the study Defren
The myocardial contractile response to physiological stress improves with high saturated fat feeding in heart failure

The major findings of the present study reveal that high saturated fat feeding improves myocardial function at rest and during physiological stress in rats with LV dysfunction after myocardial infarction.

summary, our results show that high fat feeding improves myocardial function at rest and during physiological stress in mild to moderate HF/LV dysfunction but may negatively impact the contractile reserve under nonpathological conditions. Additionally, differentially expressed genes in the HF/LV dysfunction group fed high saturated fat fell under the category of energy metabolism; that these genes/pathways are classically downregulated with HF alone suggests that high fat is cardioprotective after infarction by sustaining a normal metabolic phenotype while preventing the increased expression of hallmark mediators of cardiac injury

More from this researcher
http://www.experts.scival.com/cwru/expe ... r&u_id=100

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Defren said:
This is from May 2011 is new to me, so I thought I would share, as it opens up a debate which is not only raging here on this forum, but in other places too.

Have I missed something, where's it raging :eek:

Defren

phoenix said:
Here's the study Defren
The myocardial contractile response to physiological stress improves with high saturated fat feeding in heart failure

The major findings of the present study reveal that high saturated fat feeding improves myocardial function at rest and during physiological stress in rats with LV dysfunction after myocardial infarction.

summary, our results show that high fat feeding improves myocardial function at rest and during physiological stress in mild to moderate HF/LV dysfunction but may negatively impact the contractile reserve under nonpathological conditions. Additionally, differentially expressed genes in the HF/LV dysfunction group fed high saturated fat fell under the category of energy metabolism; that these genes/pathways are classically downregulated with HF alone suggests that high fat is cardioprotective after infarction by sustaining a normal metabolic phenotype while preventing the increased expression of hallmark mediators of cardiac injury

More from this researcher
http://www.experts.scival.com/cwru/expe ... r&u_id=100

Myocardial Infarction ie heart attack. So now we have research that shows rather than cause heart issues, saturated fat can aid patients who are at risk. This is the whole point (for me) of the debate about fats. All other fats with the exception of saturated fat has been shown to create health issues within the population. The cause is mainly the high processing of other fats and the fact they are made with fragile molecules that become damaged during the processing of them. When processing vegetable oils, branches are broken and moved, these become free radicals within the body that then go on to damage and kill cells. This does not apply to to saturated fats. So eat sat fat and coconut oil it actually does you good. Coconut oil speeds up the metabolism helping us lose weight, so a taste of fat on the lips does not mean a lifetime on the hips, but only if you eat saturated fats.

Nigel, I thought better of you!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
[quote="Defren] Nigel, I thought better of you![/quote]

................not sure what you mean :lol:

Seriously though I don't think discussing diet on a forum such as ours can be described as 'raging'....although I can't speak for the 'other places' you refer to :)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The rats were fed 60% saturated fat (palmitic and stearic acid). The remaining fat was monounsaturated oleic acid (e.g. olive oil). No/very low polyunsaturated fat.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Defren, I don't read it as those at risk,These were rats that had induced MIs They also sad that (SF) "may negatively impact the contractile reserve under nonpathological conditions, depends on what you think the condition of your heart is in at the moment.
I think mine is OK, it was last time they looked but that was a few years ago.

My knowledge isn't that great but I could envisage that more cholesterol would be needed when a muscle needs repair. Cholesterol forms the 'stiffener' in cell membranes.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/C ... brane.html

Personally , the little oil I use comes from olives and occasionally from walnut rather than from a coconut. Why should I buy a product from the tropics when both are produced far nearer. I could in theory make my own, plenty of walnuts in the garden , and chestnuts which was the oil used here in earlier times. Perhaps we should buy a press. ( our olives died this winter during a week of temperatures of -14 but as they only had about 20 olives between them there would't have been much oil)

Defren

phoenix said:
Defren, I don't read it as those at risk,These were rats that had induced MIs They also sad that (SF) "may negatively impact the contractile reserve under nonpathological conditions, depends on what you think the condition of your heart is in at the moment.
I think mine is OK, it was last time they looked but that was a few years ago.

My knowledge isn't that great but I could envisage that more cholesterol would be needed when a muscle needs repair. Cholesterol forms the 'stiffener' in cell membranes.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/C ... brane.html

Personally , the little oil I use comes from olives and occasionally from walnut rather than from a coconut. Why should I buy a product from the tropics when both are produced far nearer. I could in theory make my own, plenty of walnuts in the garden , and chestnuts which was the oil used here in earlier times. Perhaps we should buy a press. ( our olives died this winter during a week of temperatures of -14 but as they only had about 20 olives between them there would't have been much oil)

If you look at the top quote in my OP there is no mention of rats, the research was done on rats - as in a lot of these things. I read somewhere (I accept it may not have been this article, but a connective one) that there were firm results in people.

If you choose to eat olive oil and walnut oil that is your prerogative and one I have no intention of criticizing. I actually have both olive and walnut oil here, bought before I knew what I know now. I prefer sat fats and coconut oil - horses for course I would say.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I think it needs to be pointed out in case it gets lost in the rage that the original paper mentioned was abot the benefit of saturated fats in people with heart failure or who have had a heart attack. It does not say that saturated fats are beneficial for those without heart failure or who have not had a cardiac event.

Regards

Doug