hello and eating out

lilla

Dislikes
The usual, bigots; dictators........
Hello, I have been diagnosed with Dibetes type 2 today! but was told of the possibility last week, the day fter my fathers funeral, i have been in a real state ever since, to the point that i have been having chest pains, my head feelslike its been over inflated, im dizzy and my heart is racing. I have no contact with the gp since he announced it to me over the phone. Today i called the docs n insisted i have a meeting with the diabetic nurse, as now i find my doctor is away for 2 weeks. My blood sugar number is 8, this was after 14 hours starvation. Today a neighbour did a reading with her machine an it was 6.4 which was after soup and some flaked toasted almonds, and an hours walk.

Having said all that, im wondering if there is anything at all i could eat at a chinese, this has been arranged for a while to take my daughter and some friends out for a graduation dinner. I really do not want to let her down, I do not want to tell her yet either, I will when i know more about my situation, she has already lost her step father, and now my father..........i just need to get through this dinner now...................who'd would ever have thought this was going to be a problem, certainly not me!

Please tell me gently if this is not a acceptable question, i have no one else to turn too, my neighbour is in her eighties, she does not do chinese. AND I NEVER WANTED TO DO DIABETES, but such is life.

paragliderpete

Hi and welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your problems, you've made a big step joining our happy band, and you will get loads of advice, ask as many questions as you like. Daisy should be along shortly with her standard advice.
With regards to your meal, go and enjoy your meal, if you think about it your Diabetes will have been developing for some while , so one more meal won't be a problem. You can then start to coming to terms with Diabetes and what you need to do to bring your blood sugars down to normal levels.
you will find lots of advice on diet on the forum, to start with reduce your sugar level, so at your chinese try and concentrate on the meat / fish dishes rather than the sugary sweets.
Best of luck

lilla

Dislikes
Oh, thank you for your swift reply, i guess that is the case, i keep thinking now if i eat anything other than vegetables i will keel over into some kind of coma, or just die! I know thats going over the top, but emtionally that is how i feel. It has helped very much to read through this site, if i had not read so much before hand, my first mesage would have read like a suicide note :oops: .
Im hungry now......an have no idea if or what i can eat to go to bed on, normally i dont get hungry before bed, if i do i would have cornflakes, but i have red somewhere, that is a bad food to have, oh god im so confused and worried.
Good to no that there are people here, just that people are here! Thanks.

paragliderpete

Hi again. If you have any cold meats and cheese in they are ok, add in a boiled egg and a pickled onion and any veg. Should keep you going till the morning . The main thing is not to panick, It's probably taken years for you to develop Diabetes, so its going to take a short period of time to get your head round it all. We've all been in the same situation, It does get easier. Have a fry up in the morning and start the day with a new purpose. I'm sure that you will find in a few months you will be healthier than you have for many years. Enjoy your new supper

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are receiving BG readings in the 6's to 8's, you are doing well as a lot of us get diagnosed with much higher numbers, so try not to panic too much :D

I'm sure Daisy will be along to give you some information soon, but in the meantime try reading some basic information:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870

Welcome to the forum.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Lilla and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information mentioned by Pete and Indy which should be helpful to you. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Grazer

Hi Lilla and welcome! As others have said, try not to panic as your numbers are actually quite good compared to a lot of us. Nothing is suddenly going to happen as a result of eating the wrong thing. Long term, we just have to eat the right things to get our blood sugar under control. So enjoy your chinese. If you want to try and be careful, east lots of meat and fish dishes as others said, but try and go for the ones without batter. The white flour in batter is difficult for us. Obviously, the sauces can contain a lot of sugar, so try and have drier dishes. Have the crispy duck, LOTS of it, but with not much in the way of pancake. Veg is fine, as are nuts which you get in lots of their food. Nuts actually help. Do leave the desserts out though.

Fraddycat

Hi Lilla, welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place! Don't worry about going into a coma, that's not really likely. Pete is right, enjoy your daughter's graduation meal - its an incredible achievement and deserves to be celebrated.

Yes you will need to make changes going forward but many of us enjoy the changes that we've had to make and feel much better for them. You will be amazed when you get your BG under control how much better/younger you will feel.

Keep strong, best wishes, Jane

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome :wave: :wave:

Sorry to hear about your dad, as the others have said, your levels aren't too bad considering the stress you are going through.

Enjoy the meal out, your daughters graduation is something to celebrate so well done to her! Lots of us have found that cutting carbs down brings our levels down. Don't worry about asking ANYTHING, it's very worrying to get diagnosed and you'll think of tons of questions as the days past so fire away, as you get control you'll probably find that you actually feel better than you have for years! I certainly do!

Ann

lilla

Dislikes
Goodness!
You have all bought me to being a bit teary, which actually might be a good thing infact.
It has been enlightening to say the least read all your replies, and most of all I dont feel so alone and lost.
I slept well last night and did not wake up feelling grogy, must have been the snack that pete suggested last night, thanks Pete.

I did wake up with a bit of a start, then remembered, turned on my computer and here you all are, like a wave of warmth. I feel very lucky to have found this place.
Daisy I read the information you give to us newbies thanks for the info, 100pct more than I have had so far, and your cat is just like mine and she is called Daisy !
Indy, jane, Grazer, and Indy, thank you for your encouraging messages and for being so welcoming, I
feel better all ready, well, like there maybe some hope and that i will be abe to manage.

You all have put my mind at rest, that if some query comes to mind, or im not sure about something, which normally happens in the evening, when im alone and the day has quietened down, I have here to turn to, even if its to say hello, you not what I feel like im an alcoholic, hello my names lilla and im a diabetic! weird im sure.

xlillax

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
You're never alone on here Lilla, I found that out months ago when I was first diagnosed, This forum and these great people helped me immensely and kept my boat floating. You will get used to the Idea after a while and things won't look so gloomy, do yourself a favour and read through the posts on forum, do your own bit of research remember only you can help yourself, take an interest in your food choices. you can and will fall off the rails now and again, not the end of the world, don't beat yourself up about it. Ask if you're unsure, Ask if you want a bit of reassurance and enjoy the forum. :D :D Gosh listen to me, like an old hack now??

lilla

Dislikes
Hi RoyG,
I have spent all day clearing my cupboards and shopping for compatible food, as you say take an interest in my meals, no matter how much i read, i still feel confused, somewhere inside me im not willing to really believe i cannot have a hot chocolate before bed, so i have bought one i think i may be ablr to have, Cadbury's high lights, i just have it there in the cupboard.
Everyone has been so nice an friendly snd helpful, thanks or saying hello and cheering me up. I look forward to being an old hack one day, and knowing what im doing..........maybe :?

paragliderpete

Hi glad to see you're making progress, keep asking questions, you will find that there is no such thing as a daft question. as with diet you will be surprised how quick you get the hang of it.
As you like hot chocolat you could give this a try :- 1rounded teaspoon of cocoa powder, no added mik or sugar, such as green & black. one teaspoon of Amaretto, and add boiling water , add double cream to your taste.
In total about 2g carb, 3g fat and 30 cals depending on on the amount of cream. goes nice with some nice cheese , anti pasta and a pickled onion for a snack or supper

lilla

Dislikes
That sounds positively decadent! i will try that, although could i change the Ameretto for something else, like port or kalhua?
I purchased some strong cheddar cheese today, then read here somewhere that it sends peoples sugar levels racing, so I am saving that for when i get a meter; you love those pickled onions dont you :)
Thanks for that snack attack idea last night, I had a really good sleep for the first time in a week.
Going to see the diabetes nurse tomorrow, Im hoping to feel more assured or at least be armed with some equipment by tomorrow evening.
I might be here asking more questions, because i might be more confused, who knows.
Ps., Do you really Paraglide?

Grazer

Strong cheese isn't a problem.its your friend! It's the starchy carbs you need to avoid, not the fats and dairy. And feel free to swop amaretto with kahlua. Or any other alcohol. Kahlua is my wife's favourite by the way. I'm a red wine or single malt whisky man. Or beer. Or ........ :thumbup:

paragliderpete

Hi spot on with the Kahula, that works well also. As for the cheese you should be fine with strong cheddar, the trick is to go for the full fat types.
A bit of advice for you when you go to see the DN tomorrow, there are a number of things you are entitled to so ask for them ;-
1) you are entitled to free prescriptions, they have the forms at the doctors and the chemists, will need to be signed by the doctor and then posted off. Keep the receipts of any medication you have to pay for before you get the exemption as you can claim the money back.
2) you should have your feet checked for neuropathy by the DN. She will check for sensation and pulse
3) make sure she registers you for retinopathy, they take a photo of the back of your eye to check for diabetic damage. It takes a while to get an appointment, so make sure she progresses this.
4) ask for a test meter and test strips, explain to her thay you want to actively control your diabetes by diet and that you can only do this by monitoring your response to various foods. You may find that you are refused , many of us are , its very much a post code lottery . best of luck with this one. She will also possibly tell you that you do not need to test. This is rubbish, you may end up buying one yourself. If so come back to theforum for advice, its alot cheaper buying from ebay or amazon than the local chemist.
5) when you have your routine blood tests, you should have and hba1c, and cholesterol as standard, make sure they also include thyroid and liver function tests, and resquest print outs of all your results, again you are entitled to the and its handy to have a record. If you are unsure about the numbers you can always come to the forum for advice.

Hope this hasn't overloaded you , and best of luck with the DN, I hope you get a good one , come back for a rant tomorrow if you don't . cheers

paragliderpete

hi Grazer. i put the amarreto in the cocoa, well sometimes if the cup is big enough. or should I have said I put the coca in the amarreto. nice either way

paragliderpete

Hi lilla. just noticed the last line of your last post. I'm a fully qualified pilot and also fly paragliders and paramotors, although my knees are getting bad , so settle for a cockpit and engines more and more, an old age thing, but I reckon it's because I had a very big paper round

lilla

Dislikes
soo sorry i seemed to have missed so many lovely replies did not even see there was a 2nd page. if i have missed any one out please count your selves thanked, i have appreciated ALL of your comments all so informative and reassuring.
glad i got the kahlua right, i really enjoyed it with cocoa.