Food Diary

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Reading all the great results that some of you have I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to each put a week's food diary on here so that new diabetics can get some idea of what works for some.I realise that what works for some will not work for others but it will give a sort of starting point to the bewildered!

Knowledge is the key to control

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
OK,I'll start. I,m type 2 and trying to lose weight!This is what I showed the dietician who say there were not enough carbs in it!Any comments like 'OMG you shouldn't be eating that' welcomed!

BREAKFAST EVERY DAY: ½GLASS OF TROPICANA JUICE 1 COD LIVER OIL CAP/1 FLAXSEED OIL CAP .
1 WEETABIX WITH MILK / 1 TSP CINNAMON. CUP OF TEA/MILK (250ML)

MAIN COURSES:
PORK CHOPS(GRILLED) WITH 3 SMALL POTATOES OR MASHED POT.STEAMED VEG.
PORK SAUSAGE AND MASH
GRILLED FISH
COLD MEAT SALAD
HAGGIS/NEEPS/MASH
SMALL STEAK PIE
OCCASIONAL CHINESE!
LIVER CASSEROLE
CHICKEN/MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
ROAST CHICKEN/BEEF
MINCE/3SMALL POTATOES STREAMED VEG MEALIE PUD.
BOWL OF SOUP (350ML) SMALL BROWN ROLL
BOWL OF CHICKEN VEG SOUP 1 SMALL BROWN ROLL
BOWL OF LENTIL SOUP

One of these accompanied by 150ml milk and 1 cinnamon tab/1 vit B tab /and 1 flaxseed oil cap.

SUPPER:
SALAD SANDWICH WITH ONE SLICE COLD MEAT/CHEESE 1 CINNAMON TAB/1 FLAXSEED OIL CAP. CUP OF TEA.

BACON/EGGS (Sundays)

SNACKS (OVER DAY)

5XCUPS OF TEA
HANDFUL NUTS/FRUIT
NECTARINE OR OTHER FRUIT

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Wow, Sue, I took one look at your breakfast and wondered about the 'Sugarless' moniker! Total carbs!
It's a great idea to post comparisons of weekly food diaries though.
Here's mine:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and bacon, mushrooms, coffee with cream

Lunch: Mackerel with mayo, wholegrain mustard, green salad.
Roast chicken breast with pesto, mayo, humous, celery.
Tuna/mayo/anchovy/spring onion/celery/dijon mustard mix.

Dinner: Lamb burgers with chorizo
Pan fried salmon
Pork loin steaks
Chicken lots of ways
Omlettes with cheese, leeks, crabmeat
Chicken ceasar salad (no croutons!)
Pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds
Lots of veggies including courgettes, broccoli, cauliflower,
leeks, aubergines, mushrooms, red/green peppers, celery, savoy cabbage, celeriac, spinach, salad leaves

Snacks: Macadamia nuts

Never, ever, ever: pasta, rice, bread, potatoes

All the best everyone,

fergusc

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Don't think I could eat a cooked breakfast in the morning!(well maybe after work but there is no one to cook it for me!)Don't have any added sugar to anything!My BS isn't too bad in the morning so I can get away with eating cereal/juice.

Mine is:
Breakfast: Weetaflakes with semi-skimmed milk OR Dorset High-Fibre Cereal OR Dorset Porridge.

Lunch: Sandwich made with seeded bread, Flora Buttery and cheese/turkey/salmon and salad filling. Sometimes I'll have crisps.
A small glass of semi-skimmed milk.

Dinner: Varies but always home-made. Shepherds Pie/Liver & Bacon Casserole/Fish/Chicken dishes etc. with potatoes(roast/mash/baked,new or whatever we fancy) and fresh veg. I eat almost any fresh veg. going.
I do pasta once a week.I have a low sugar or sugar free pud once a week.

Snacks: Fruit/ocassionally nuts/sometimes a couple of squares of 70% cocoa solids chocolate/Nairn's oatcakes/Crumpet or English Muffin/Home-made low sugar cake.

I don't smoke, drink alchohol, or tea or coffee. I drink mostly tap water and sometimes sugar-free drinks.

chocoholic

Whoops. Just noticed I wasn't logged in. Unusual. Normally I'm straight in as it's on my regular links bit. How odd.

Lady J

Watch out for the fruit juice, Sue. I use juice to treat hypos and consider them very good at RAISING BGs... I know it's good for you in other ways, but possibly not for the BG.

For your mash, there are some great recipes out there for cauliflower mash, which apparently tastes great, but is obviously lower carb.

IGNORE THE DIETICIAN (but I guess you already know that!!)

LJ

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Already do,LJ !!Only take a small glass of juice.It does indeed put up BS! My usual after work BS in the morning is 5.7 I was a bit dry at work and took a swig of juice just before coming home and ,when I tested, my BS was 7.5,that was about three-quarters of an hour after drinking juice!
Like the cauliflower mash!I think fergus should patent it!

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Here's another great alternative to the starchy old spud.

Try celeriac, peeled chopped then boiled till you can pierce it with a fork with little resistance. Then get mashing. Add a little butter or some creme fraiche, salt, pepper and a grating of nutmeg.

Really delicious and very low carb. You'll never buy another tattie.

All the best,

fergusc

Debra41

Dislikes
Sprouts
Hi, this is a good idea!

I have a light breakfast usually because I dont have much of an appetite in the mornings, so something like, 1 slice wholemeal toast with marmite or peanut butter, or a homemade banana smoothie.

Lunch, wholemeal pitta bread with homemade mackeral pate with some chopped cherry toms & cuspamber, or a small homemade pasta salad with tuna/sweetcorn. Sometimes a sandwich but I try to avoid white bread, I still enjoy crisps and eat fruit for snacks but think I will try some nuts.

Evening meal, anything really, but always homemade, I never buy ready meals and avoid processed foods. Love making curries, chilli, casseroles, pies I also eat a lot of fish, french roasted cod is gorgeous and really easy, as is baked seabass with cream potato and asparagus - even my 8 year old loves it :D

I make puddings & cakes usually at the weekend as a treat :) and occasionally enjoy the odd takeaway! oh and I drink red wine - sometimes even in moderation :D

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Natasha,

No need for a sauce in the shepherds pie. Simply fry a chopped onion, 2 sticks of celery and a couple of cloves of garlic in some olive oil. Then fry the lamb mince (400g) in the pan till brown. Add some tomato puree and 200g of sliced mushrooms fried in butter. If it looks a little dry, simply add a little water.
Add your cauliflower topping, bake for half an hour and your there!

By the way, what the hell is a 'cuspamber'!!!!

All the best,

fergusc

Poppy

Fergus, did you read in the paper the other day, that chorizo is quite often made from donkeys.......kinda puts me off it.

Poppy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fergusc</i>
<br />Hi Natasha,

No need for a sauce in the shepherds pie. Simply fry a chopped onion, 2 sticks of celery and a couple of cloves of garlic in some olive oil. Then fry the lamb mince (400g) in the pan till brown. Add some tomato puree and 200g of sliced mushrooms fried in butter. If it looks a little dry, simply add a little water.
Add your cauliflower topping, bake for half an hour and your there!

<b>By the way, what the hell is a 'cuspamber'!!!!</b>

All the best,

fergusc
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Apparently the spam/word filter has something against the letters c---u--m as it does with some other letter combinations even though they are inside words!

Debra41

Dislikes
Sprouts
Thanks Sue, I was wondering why the word was distorted! Fergus I can spell the 'long green thing thats goes in salads and posh people have in sandwiches with no crusts, thats particularly nice with tuna!!!!' Just in case you were wondering!
D :D

ChocFish

WOW it allows long green thing ROTFL I thought how rude of you Debra

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
wonder if it will allow cukumber?

Yes it does!!

Mims

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugarless sue</i>

As a new, born again person, I think sue is absolutely right about helping people like me who need help in which foods we can or can't have and what quantities! I am now quite keen to get my life in order with a little help from my new friends!:)

<br />Reading all the great results that some of you have I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to each put a week's food diary on here so that new diabetics can get some idea of what works for some.I realise that what works for some will not work for others but it will give a sort of starting point to the bewildered!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Lady J

I'm not sure how valuable food diaries are without posting your relative blood glucose results...

While lots of these things sound delicious, we have no way of telling from the posts if they are good/bad/indifferent for people's levels...

For example, some of the diets seem to have quite a lot of carbs which I wouldn't think would be suitable for many type 2s!

LJ