Another problem for the elderly.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date
C

catherinecherub

We hear about stereotyping of diabetics.
This is equally bad, stereotyping the elderly. If you are old and a diabetic then it is a double whammy.

I only hope this e-petition was put forward by a very young member of our society who hasn't thought it through. If he lives long enough, he will know that illnesses are not always self inflicted.

Not much support so far.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34559

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fool, the one signature says it all.....

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
What a ****. Too ashamed to put his full name it seems. His time will come.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have requested that this e-petition be deleted using the feedback tab at the bottom of the page.

It smacks of the ideology of a certain tyrrant who committed suicide in 1945.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Its a shame you cant flag up this sort of petition as being offensive and ageist, is the poster trying to be funny or is he really serious :roll:

ps how on earth did you find that Catherine? :lol:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if this person realises that many over 75 either fought or lived through a war and maybe even lost members of their family so that he has the freedom today to write such rubbish

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a very cheerful Topic, however it shows that there are still people that get bad ideas into their heads.

images
Roy :)

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
well I have put in my feedback that I am shocked they permit petitions calling for people to break the law ( age discrimination)

:evil: :evil: :evil:

yes there are some illnesses that might not arise or be as serious if one lives / eats healthily .. but there are issues there.

Its only relatively recently a lot of medical research has proven some of these and its a bit late for some people affected . It s only current young generation that have all this increased knowledge form an early age ...... hopefully they will benefit but sadly many do not if one looks around any city centre on a weekend night :evil:

when my mum started smoking nowt was known about the dangers of smoking, in fact it was promoted as being a relaxant and a social "must" :shock: . It was a loooooooong time before the effects on health were proven and by then she was addicted. Of course then she "should" have stopped but she hasn't ......... creates a dilema.

She was almost refused heart surgery a few years back but she told them she had cut right down ( she has since increased again :thumbdown: ) I agreed with the surgeon ........ he did not want her to ruin the work he was doing to help her improve her health. I also agree that people wanting liver transplants for example should pledge not to drink :wink:

One can however only say something is "self inflicted" if we know the dangers but carry on.

sometimes we can also be afected by ill health even if we do everything "right".

Horrid petition.. I hope it "dies" !

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I guess in the politically correct EU state that we live in, removal of that e petition would be a violation of free speech.

I have run a business since 2009 selling electronic cigarettes. In recent months I've seen a sharp increase in the number of pensioners buying them. I've spoken to many of them personally and the number one reason for most of them doing so is that they have a health problem (heart or hip/knee replacement being the most common) and the doctors/hospitals are refusing to treat them unless they pack in smoking. Most of them have smoked all their lives and find it nigh on impossible to quit, but find the electronic cigarette easy to switch to as it mimics the smoking action, but without any tobacco.

Personally I think it kinder to let them smoke these devices and allow them to have their health treatments than have them denied treatment altogether. Let's not forget that the vast majority of them have worked all their lives and therefore contributed both tax and national insurance into the system.