Advice re supplelements for my Type 2, elderly mother

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there

I've just joined this forum as my mother is computer/internet phobic, and I thought some informed advice would be valuable.

My 79 year old mother was newly diagnosed in November, following a fall (she'd broken her hip and subsequently had an operation). In the ambulance, the medic was rather shocked to discover her BS level at 30, especially as she isn't a "typical diabetic"... if there is such a thing. She is extremely active, even after her hip operation and actually now almost underweight at around 7 stone at 5 foot. She hadn't experienced any side effects other than losing weight and being a bit thirsty. It was thought that as an active gardener and someone that can barely sit still for a minute, this had been in her favour.

Since her diagnosis, she has been pretty good and curbed her previously very sweet tooth and eats healthy, wholesome food. If she was heavier and younger, I probably would have tried to steer her towards a lower carb way of eating, but as it is I have advised her not to eat too many carbs – she has about 2 slices of thin wholemeal bread for breakfast or lunch and maybe a small portion of potatoes for her evening meal, but otherwise her diet is high in fats, protein and vegetables, with nuts and oat biscuits as snacks and a bit of fruit daily. She probably doesn’t exceed 120 grams of carbs most days, which I feel at her age and in her situation, is probably about as low as she can easily go.

She has been on Glicazide since November, and her BS levels have stuck to between about 11-14, which I know is still too high. She has refused to take Metformin – the tablets were initially too big for her to swallow but then she got to hear about the common side effects of sickness and diarrhoea, and was terrified of being ‘caught short’ with her decreased speed of mobility. She has meetings coming up with various diabetes care team members, so it will be interesting to see what they suggest.

I have read quite a bit about supplements, but have almost gone full circle in what I think may be helpful vs not wanting to cause hypos (she hasn’t had one yet, but has been advised that it could happen at any time) or any further weight loss. I’ve looked at Gymnema sylvestre and almost ordered some, but I’m worried it could have an adverse reaction alongside her Glicazide. Bitter melon and cinnamon are also options.

Apologies for the rambling background details, but in short now, it would be great if anyone could advise re holistic supplements that may help to bring down her BS levels without the risk of any adverse reactions.

Thanks in advance.

Nikkig

I take just chromium Picolinate first thing in the morning and since my diagnosis have found this to be best at regulating my levels. It's currently buy one get one for a penny at Holland and Barrett too!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, just in case anyone is interested... I did further reading and decided against Gymnema sylvestre, as I was worried it may do much the same thing as her Glicazide, and therefore put too much strain on her pancreas. I also decided against the Chromium picolinate, as I'm not convinced she's deficit and I read that it's possible to take too much of it, but I may revisit that at another time. In the end, the safest choices seemed to be bitter melon and cinnamon supplements (separate, not together) and have ordered them from Amazon for her.

I will post on here again if there's any interesting outcome from her taking them.

V