T1's, drinking and clubs

Jenn1f3r

my usual plan of attack is to deal with (relative) highs in the morning rather than to worry about going low - again as i drink alot of lager this generally helps keeping the sugars up. other point of note is that my morning NR is usually half that for a comparible breakfast on non drinking days! - im 24 and have had type 1 for 23 years

MPF

Dislikes
Essex, Scouse brows, Two faced people, CLOWNS.
Yo, are you still needing help with the whole clubbing/alcahol/diabetes thing? I'm 20 (as of two weeks ago) it gets much easier to manage trust me

I drink like anyone else.. If its spirits I don't take insulin if I mix it I take half my dosage and if it is cider or a sugary alcoholic drink I take the same amount but have like a slice of bread before I start off the night! :) my tummy gets bloated when I don't take insulin so when drinking spirits my tum tum does stick out a bit lol but if I feel high take some novorapid and you'll be grand :)

the_exile

Largely depends on what you're actually drinking, I'm not a heavy drinker myself, usually only have 2 or 3 beers, which is around 30grams of carbs, I think DAFNE advises that you should usually take half the amount you would usually take for carbs if you're taking them in with alcohol (in my case i take a half a unit of insulin per pint). If you're drinking alcopops or stuff with full sugar coke etc then that'll be a seriously difficult night to manage and wouldn't even begin to guess where you should start! You'll need to find out how many carbs are in your drinks before you can begin to work out how to manage the insulin needs.

Alcohol makes your sugar level rocket up and then it drops gradually over a long period of time, i've heard of people having hypo's the afternoon after they've been out the night before due to alcohol, good advice about the pizza, would be a good idea to have something like that before you go to bed, pizza is really high in fat content so takes a loooong time to absorb the carbs, it would even out but not completely nullify the glucose drop from the booze.

Pearsall85

Would you bolus for the beer before, during or after? Also everynow and then I used to go down the pub If there was a few games on telly and do an "all dayer" now if I wanted to once in a bluemoon would I just have to make sure I eat something before drinking then just constantly monitor my levels throughout the day and with other meals later in the day?

Stu.

the_exile

Pearsall85 said:
Would you bolus for the beer before, during or after? Also everynow and then I used to go down the pub If there was a few games on telly and do an "all dayer" now if I wanted to once in a bluemoon would I just have to make sure I eat something before drinking then just constantly monitor my levels throughout the day and with other meals later in the day?

Stu.

It's your own personal preference really, personally I would bolus before the first beer (I'm on the pump so can bolus half units) and check glucose and bolus every 2 hours after that, otherwise I'd be injecting and testing constantly, if I done a test and it was say, over 14.0, I'd stop drinking beer and go onto soft drinks or something until it returned to single figures.