T1's, drinking and clubs

BethR

Hiya,
Still havent found anyone my own age with type 1, who regularly goes on nights out drinking ect. Im at university and was diagnosed in nov 2012 so its all still new, and the last time i went out i had my worst hypo so far, which has made me nervous about going out. I would love to talk to someone also dealing with this, so i could see how they manage it, and also how to manage buying sugar free drinks at the bar when its noisy and busy

Thanks,
Beth x

Stuarty

What exactly is the problem Beth?

I'm 28 now and have been Type 1 since I was 7. I regularly go clubbing and drink more times in a week than should be legal lol.

What insulin are you on? How much are you taking and more importantly, what are you drinking?

BethR

Hiya,
im on M3, 9 units in the morning, 4 units at night. The only real issue is me worrying that im going to have a serious hypo like i did the last time really. I just wondered what everyone else does when they go out.
Beth

bethan90

I know how you feel! Keep a close eye on your blood sugars throughout the night. Mine always go high and then I over inject and end up with a hypo in the middle of the night. Alcohol actually makes your BS go down, so I would say drink an occasional full sugar coke instead of diet, especially if you're dancing a lot too. And always have a snack before bed! X

Stuarty

I always end up going high when drinking alot, but I do small injections every now and again to keep my bloods below 10. It seems to work for me that way, but if I end up taking TOO much insulin and go low, I just have a few sips of Lucozade to bring it up slightly. I would edge on the side of trying to be SLIGHTLY low before starting to drink. But that's just me! The most important thing is to regularly check your reading. I do it all the time. My girlfriend carries my blood machine and injection around in her handbag for me, which is great! :thumbup:

I agree with everything bethan90 said. Especially about having a wee snack before bed time.

Pearsall85

Hey, since being diagnosed ive been told by my drs and diabetic nurse to not adjust for alcohol and just let it go high, although I did give myself a few units on new years eve as after doing a few vodka jelly shots I asked if it was sugar free jelly and it wasnt! checked and my levels were 22!

If I go out drinking real ale they normally spike to about 17 but I dont bring them down there and then in case of going too low, not sure this is the way to go about it but ive not been told otherwise.

Stu.

Stuarty

Pearsall85 said:
Hey, since being diagnosed ive been told by my drs and diabetic nurse to not adjust for alcohol and just let it go high, although I did give myself a few units on new years eve as after doing a few vodka jelly shots I asked if it was sugar free jelly and it wasnt! checked and my levels were 22!

If I go out drinking real ale they normally spike to about 17 but I dont bring them down there and then in case of going too low, not sure this is the way to go about it but ive not been told otherwise.

Stu.

I was also told that I 'shouldnt' take extra insulin when drinking alcohol.

That's all well and good for a non-diabetic nurse to be telling me, but she doesn't understand how ****** I feel when my bloods are really high!! I absolutely HATE being high and I will do anything to avoid it, including taking extra shots of insulin as and when I need them. I check my blood very regularly as well so if I do end up going low, I will know about it!

But that's just me folks!

BethR

yeahh, im always checking mine too. I hate being above 7 even though im still getting used to changing my insulin around to find out what works, also i cant alter my dosage yet as im on 2 set does a day which doesnt help. My blood sugars are usually around the 4's at evenings though so maybe i just need to fill up on carbs before i go out! Thanks for all of the advice though, its always helpful to hear what everyone else does, especially as i dont know anyone else with type 1!

Beth

diggerhtfc

Unfortunately my advice would be don't drink to excess. Personally if I'm drinking I don't adjust the amount I inject - end up quite high which contributes to feeling awful the next day. So I avoid drinking to excess - you can still enjoy yourself, honest.

fractureman

I always make sure I visit a take away on the way home from a night out to take on carbs. The alcohol will lower your bs when your asleep.

I don't worry about sugars going up when drinking they don't spike too much & you know the reverse will happen later anyway.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am 19, I was diagnosed in June 2010 and at uni also - which of course means I go out ALOT. I have been told to avoid insulin when drinking, however as a result I have to avoid also drinking high sugar drinks such as alchopops and also get diet mixers if I can. I also make sure I have a big meal before going out and maybe taken a little less insulin as usual as alcohol does lower your BS. I also when get in from a night out check my sugars and if low will have a sarny (helps with the hangover too lol) :)

Switch2501

Best advice my dr gave me when I was first diagnosed was "at the end of the night, make sure you go get a pizza or some chips"

As mentioned before, alcohol drops your sugars, so you need some carbs to ensure they don't during the night.
I'd avoid full fat coke as a preventative measure as it will still just drop, the sugar from it won't stick around.

BethR

chr1234 said:
Hi I am 19, I was diagnosed in June 2010 and at uni also - which of course means I go out ALOT. I have been told to avoid insulin when drinking, however as a result I have to avoid also drinking high sugar drinks such as alchopops and also get diet mixers if I can. I also make sure I have a big meal before going out and maybe taken a little less insulin as usual as alcohol does lower your BS. I also when get in from a night out check my sugars and if low will have a sarny (helps with the hangover too lol) :)

Ive not heard from anyone also at uni yet! Sounds like a silly questions but do you still drink cocktails and stuff like that? Was thinking about going on holiday this summer, but the idea of trying to get sugar free drinks in somewhere like ibiza is putting me off!! How long were you diagnosed before you could adjust your insulin by yourself?
Beth

Switch2501

Dunno about chr123 but it was only 2 years ago since I started adjusting my own insulin, that's only because of the availability of the dafne/ice course. Ask your diabetic team about it. :)

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
BethR said:
chr1234 said:

Ive not heard from anyone also at uni yet! Sounds like a silly questions but do you still drink cocktails and stuff like that? Was thinking about going on holiday this summer, but the idea of trying to get sugar free drinks in somewhere like ibiza is putting me off!! How long were you diagnosed before you could adjust your insulin by yourself?
Beth

Yeah I still love a cocktail or two! Just remember when you get back from a night out to check sugars etc! You're diabetic team will advise you on drinking, don't be ashamed to ask about alcohol and that! I have already started adjusting my own insulin, after about a year they introduce carb counting so you insulin is tailored to what you eat. Feel free to mail me if you have any questions and that! :)

Goody

Hi, i was diagnosed in late 2011 and i still go out drinking etc. and never inject on a nightout. Your bs may spike but the alcohol will soon bring them down. Then top them up on the way home with a burger or whatever you fancy. Sometimes on a really heavy night out ill experience hypos the next day as the alcohol is still in my system bringing my sugars down so wont need to inject much if at all.
When out just keep off the sugary stuff ie coke, redbull and alchopops - you dont want your BS being through the roof. I normally keep to pints of lager then move onto spirit/mixer (diet coke).

I went Ibiza last year with the lads, i was fine. A slight adjustment to my background insulin (due to heat and alcohol consumption) Don't let the thought of trying to find diet free drinks out there put you off. Most bars/clubs out there have a good selection of diet/sugar free drinks and are better stocked than most of the bars ive been to back home. Every bar/club in Ibiza had sugar free red bull! :)

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
hi beth im 32 and have been type 1 for24 years now. i always make sure i have a clutch bag that i cann put my stuff in with my lippie n that. i drink what i like but always take my blood every now n then to make sure im ok. if i need more insulin then give it. depending on how you approach it with others. i was always very upfront n told everyone about it. try getting a bag of crisps at bar and if you had too much sugar ask for diet drinks. i help it helps hun. if u fancy a natter im [email address removed] xxxxx

Sent from my GT-S5670 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Kevlaar

I was diagnosed just over a year ago at 24, and I love a night out.

When I was first diagnosed, I said I was going to stop drinking for 6 months. That lasted 2 weeks!

I find that I'll normally be OK whilst on a night out, mainly because I tend to stick to beer, but find my levels drop the next day as the alocohol wears off.

Just don't go out on an empty stomach.

After a few beers I also once took my novorapid when i was meant to use my glargine - wasn't a pleasant experience trying to raid an empty kitchen for sometihng sugary when legs were like jelly!

Goody

No i never inject after a nightout, high risk of hypo if you do as the alcohol will bring down your sugars anyway. If i load up on carbs on the way home ie burger n chips im normally fine come morning (4-7). And like someone else said, it helps with the hangover :)