Does being diabetic get you down?

Kayla

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just wondering if being diabetic other people have ups and downs?
I tend to have my good days and bad days but have been feeling rather low lately and haven't been able to shake it.
My nurse told me that this can happen being diabetic, does anyone else experience it?
I'm only 22 studying at college but always seem to feel down on the inside, I don't like to show it on the outside, I know they can change what meds you're on but it's taken me long enough to find a combination that agrees with me.
Any thoughts on this one?

KerrieG

I feel like that now and again too. I'm not far off your age (I'm 25) and I still struggle even 8 months after being diagnosed. How about making an appointment with your Dr to talk about how you're feeling at the moment. It might be that you need a small dose of antidepressants just to help boost you a little. I'm on them and I know they're not the best solution but I do find that they help. You could always try talking to your friends about it, having support from friends really helps me.

Feel free to message me if you like,

Kerrie :)

spmccann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone has good and bad days. I know after I was first diagnosed I was very angry and upset. However a few months on I've made my peace with it mostly. Okay there are still days where I rail against it because of the changes I've had to make and resent its intrusion into my life. Everyone thinks "why me" at some point .
I'm living in the republic of Ireland we don't have the NHS but we do have the Health Service. If you are diabetic you Qualify for a long term illness card, basically covers your diabetes meds and strips. Getting issued with one of these was the day it really hit me. This is for the long haul.

Is your diabetes getting you down or is it something else. If its your final year you can be under a lot of pressure. There are studies that show that diabetics are more likely to get depressed but it really depends on the person. There is something of the "always in the kitchen at partys" feel to being diabetic. Being a student you should be having fun , doing silly things with traffic cones and occasionally even learning something. Its ok to feel down once in a while but if it continues seek help. You might feel that your friends wont understand but you'd be surprised.

Remember there is life after diabetes diagnosis and for a lot of us its pretty good. Its also that wonderful time of year when the weather is bad and there's little sunlight so you might need to get outside a bit more. You probably had to make changes to your diet so make sure your getting the right vitamins .
One thing to remember there's been more progress in diabetes treatment in the last 10 years than the previous 100, there's no reason why someone of your age cant live a long , productive and happy life.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Yes sometimes it does, I do get fed up with it and all the injections,finger pricking, hospital appointments and other medical conditions that I have, that are associated with Diabetes, I think some people feel like that from time to time, (I've had diabetes 23 years now) with lots of ups and downs, but there could also be an underlining ,medical problem or condition that can affect our overall mood. I hope you start to feel a bit better sonn. Take care RRB

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Hi,

i dont know why but being diabetic for 18 months or so hasnt phased me at all. Just had to cope with it and get on with my life. Glad ime doing it with diet alone. It has however made me very aware of what i eat and i will say that of late i have been getting very fed up with my diet. Getting a bit tired of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and leeks as my main vegetables. Craving potatoes and especially crisps. However, what is keep ing me on the straight and narrow is the blood testing and the shock of finding out what carbs do to my bloods. As i want to live long and prosper as Spock once said then i will just have to persevere.
Good luck to you.

Andy

Kayla

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all of you for getting back to me so quickly, I appreciate it!
I have made an appointment with my doctor and have also started the gym recently I'm hoping starting to get healthy will help lift up spirits!
It's nice to know that I'm not alone though and there are people out there who experience the same thing and understand what I'm going through so thank you all who replied for your support! :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plenty of H2O and Green tea if you find it palatable or Roobios tea.

Also will aid metabolism, as you said you go the Gym, Keep your skin nice, take free radicals from the body is a powerful antioxidant because as diabetics we need all the help we can get.
Also great for keeping the Blood sugar in check

The green leaves can calm the storm... :mrgreen: (seriously keeps a healthy uplifting state of mind).

Kayla

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Green tea sounds good haha :)
Also exercise, I've just joined the gym and started up swimming and aqua-size and silly as it sounds I feel healthy already! :)

WhatNotToEat

Have also been feeling low and can't seem to shake it. Have never accepted being a diabetic. Hope things work out for you :thumbup: :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Green tea?? This young girlie is at college and hooefully living life to the fullest.... To try and minimalise thoughts if diabetes and trying to live normal with friends and family.
I would lije to ask if green tea users are over 30?
Sorry.. Just that I was a bit of a 'girl'. Although lokked after D as best I could... at that age .. I would have baulked at the thought of sipping green tea... Actually I still do 30 years on.

Not really wishing to put a downer on suggestion.. Honest... But I in all honesty in my 20's would never have drank green tea unless p*****d.

My advice... You are an individual.. Go and enjoy life first as your main aim... Your diabetes lives with you...
Do regular blood tests, and try to do the best you can to eat a balanced good diet.. But at your age.. Try to enjoy yourself and balance the good life in one hand withe the good living in the other...

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Simply drinking lots of water works wonders.
Depends how you look at it as soon i was diagnosed i took it on myself to beat it. Currently, I'm winning!
However if you want to drink alcohol at your time of life which is perfectly understandable, I woukd recommend leaving out the high sugars in alcopops and Empty calories in beer and go for vodka (its the cleanest alcoholic beverage out there) or my personal choice red wine.
As a previous poster said, youve still plenty of time to adjust to diabetes and live life to the full.
One more piece of advice from my soapbox, Stay away from hydrogenated fats and monosodium glutamate. They alter your cells in a way which makes them resistant to your natural insulin and are a contributing factor the the rise in diabetes over the last 20 years.
Best of luck

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree with red wine.. No effects at all with me.. ( hiccup-Sat night-lol!!)
Know one of my customers stoped white wine.. He type 2. He much more stable on red too..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree with hydrogenated fats as above too...

Best stick to caveman diet!!! No, seriously .. At your age it is so important to live your life, but if possibly can as above avoid the h.fats, horse meat, halal meat....
All the h's!!!

Gym is good.. Tbh.. I joined twice in 20 years and both times lasted 2 weeks.. It does nothing for me, but exercising doing my gardening is heaven.

Balance and moderation is the best advice..

hester

Hi,
I've experienced a low level of depression all my life, or at least from early twenties. Started when I got married (not a coincidence!) and I think turned into a bit of a habit. Kayla's description of being down internally but being cheery on the outside is apt, but also the best way to go. Who wants to deal with a person constantly draggy and gloomy, tho I agree it is necessary to be honest with one's friends. And anyway when you fool the world into thinking you are cheerful you fool yourself as well!
I find the low carb restricted eating thing helps if anything. I have had a better winter than usual. Perhaps the effort to walk more works here too. Best wishes to Kayla. Hester

Kayla

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you again for all your support and advise!
Thankfully I'm not a big drinker at all so that isn't really an issue with me.
I've started talking to my fiance about feeling down and it feels better to get it off my chest really. Also I saw my doctor too but she said to give it another 6 weeks and see how I feel.
Going the gym again tomorrow, trying to eat good too, starting to feel more healthy haha!
I know a lot of people struggle in different ways with their diabetes and I really appreciate people sharing their own stories, lets me know that I'm not alone! :)
I think I accepted my diabetes but maybe don't take it as seriously as I should, I had a friend in high school who took his so serious it ruined his life it became like an obsession and I don't ever want the diabetes to be in charge of me!
I hope everyone else who has their down days and suffers due to being diabetic knows that there are people out there who can relate and to all who have helped me with this topic thank you and good luck! :)

Much love, Kayla :)

Kayla

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a 38 year old diabetic, been diabetic for 32 years, and often feel low and down (depressed)

I'm sorry to hear that, I've been diagnosed for 3 years so far and I know the feeling I have my ups and downs.
Good luck to you and I hope you have some things to put a smile on your face :)

coco4

Hi when you are feeling in a depressed state do you find you have to force yourself to even go out? I am finding at the moment even though my DSN and GP say I gained really good control in a relatively short space of time, diagnosed Type 1 May 2011, 55 years old that I am becoming increasingly scared to go out even on the shortest of journeys, it's driving my husband mad. Only yesterday I cancelled going out with one of my best friends because I started to imagine all sorts of "disasters" happening, ie hypos, going unconscious, not being able to test, feeling uncomfortable injecting because we were going to be out for lunch. I've even started thinking that the world will run out of insulin and then what are we going to do. I was on anti depressants for sometime before I was diagnosed and although they helped, coming off them was not pleasant and I've read that they can interfere with glucose control, so that would be another worry for me. When I voiced some of this to the doctor he said because I'm managing my diabetes really well he couldn't see the problem. I mentioned about CBT or counselling, but he said he would have to refer me and it could be a year before I heard anything. Just wish I could have my old life back as I am sure most of you on this site do. Anybody got any tips to overcome these irrational fears? Thanks

theshrekster

When first diagnosed, yes and fairly often. But have slowly come to terms with it, still hate diabetes, but have to deal with it,
Now 3 years on, still get some down days, but that might just be life in general :)

Keep smiling and things will improve!!!

Chrispp

I just love to hate the condition, the day I accept it or get used to it. I think it will beat me. Still not happy with my doctors, who always want to go for the easy option for them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app