Illness and diabetes

happycat

I was diagnosed in September. Over the last 10 days or so I have been rather ill. Doctor says that I have had a chest infection and 'flu. I don't seem to be recovering well and my BG is high. Doctor says that I have to be patient as my body has been subject to a lot of stress trying to fight off the illness. He said that I should not test my blood sugar as it will be high and will just add to the stress.
I feel immensely tired and have no appetite. I also have chest pains. Should I be testing? Does it take longer to get better if you have diabetes? Beginning to feel depressed about my lack of wellness. Any advice? Thank you. :(

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lat time when I was on antibiotic with chest infection my sugar levels went crazy. All above 10 with many close to 20. I recognise first signs of illness from my slightly higher levels. Not sure if it takes longer to recover. Last time it was about a week and I guess its standard.

Hope you will get better soon and dont worry about high levels. You cant do much about this at the moment but visiting gp again would be good. 10 days is quite long and can be exhausting. Maybe you need some other medication

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
It drives a truck through your immune system mate, if I make it through a month without getting a cold or flu I've done very well, take a good multivitamin and vitamin b supplement. You'll find its par and course, best thing is rest.. I appreciate that is easier said than done sometimes.. I have an 18 month old toddler and run a business. Good luck with it and hope you feel well soon, he says from his 2 days into flu with temp of 102 sick bed.. Oh well reset the well days clock, I made 4 whole weeks.. Yay!

WhitbyJet

Sorry to hear you arent feeling so well, dont worry too much about your bg levels at the moment, your body is fighting an illness.
Try to eat something light, something low carb, eg chicken soup would be good, you can liquidise soups and sip.
Have plenty of hot drinks, herbal or fruit teas, cocoa made with cream or coconut milk.
Multivitamin/B Vit has been mentioned, but best supplement by far is elderberry extract, its sold under Sambucol, and I would urge anyone to collect fresh elderberries when they are in season, freeze and eat stewed with a little sweetener and cinnamon, they are lovely with home made vanilla ice cream or yoghurt.
Elderberries really do seem to boost the immune system, my family have used them for years and they truly do shorten the duration of a cold/flu.

Hope you feel better soon x

staycalm&hopeful

hi happycat :D
sorry to hear that you"re ill,personally to my self i find yes i think it certainley takes longer to recover.
my chest infection took all of eight weeks to go,but hey you just have to go easy on yourself.you are
doing all the right things etc keep warm ,drink plenty of fluids.best wishes :wave:
DEBS

happycat

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I feel less frustrated now that I know that it will take longer. Diabetes is a new thing for me and I am still learning how to cope. There is such a lot of information and so much of it is confusing. Thank goodness for this forum. :)