Type 1 and liver problems

JulesMS

My 13 year old was diagnosed with Type 1 18 months ago, He's incredibly active/sporty, not remotely overweight and has a pretty good diet. Blood tests a few weeks ago showed a higher than average bilirubin level, and he's had more blood tests done this week. I hate Googling things as always see the bad articles rather than the good ones (?!) but does anyone have any experience of liver problems with type I? Hopefully the new blood tests will be ok, but am asking the question for info and just to find out a bit more really. Thanks :)

bethan90

Hi

I am 23yo diagnosed 10.5yrs ago. For the past 2-3yrs my liver function tests have been showing raised levels of bilirubin. The rest of the levels they test for when looking at liver function have always been fine and so the doctor says this is something called Gilbert's syndrome, and is harmless. Of course, there could be other reasons behind the raised bilirubin, maybe if the other levels were abnormal, but just to reassure you for now not to worry until further tests :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My best mate has bilirubens syndrome.
Have you looked into that?

lynde89

I also have Gilbert's syndrome, & Drs say its harmless. The whites of my eyes & skin sometimes gets a yellowish tinge if I am ill or sugars are high, that seems to be the only 'noticeable' thing with it. It's not like you suddenly look like a Simpsons character.

I had a trip to A&E for something else about a year ago, they did blood tests & told me I may have something wrong with my liver & they would have to look into it with more tests. Dr said I had high levels of bilirubin, when I asked if it could be Gilbert's syndrome she said yes, that would be a harmless outcome, but we'll need tests to know. I told her I had been told I had this over 10years ago & she said 'oh, yeah that will be it then' sorted, it must have fallen to the back of my records or something.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App