Fluctuating Blood Glucose

C-J-N

Hello
I have had type one for about a year now and after all this time I am still struggling to control my blood glucose levels. I manage to control them for about two or three weeks at a time but then for no apparent reason I'll suddenly need more insulin for the same food / exercise, then I'll get it to level out for another two or three weeks only to need less insulin for the same food / exercise. At first I thought it was just the honeymoon period stopping and starting but it's been a year of this and it happens so often that I'm not sure that's it anymore. I've been meaning to ask at my next appointment but they keep postponing that so in the meantime I'd really appreciate any suggestions as to why this is happening and if there's anything I can do about it.
Thank you

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bit cheeky but how old are you and are you male or female. If the latter it could be hormonal.....mind you that applies to blokes too of course!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
This happens to me quite randomly and no-one can offer any suggestions apart from that I may be pre-menopausal (I'm 48 this year) and hormones are playng up. I do notice an increase in my BSs during my period but apart from that there is no pattern. Is very frustrating especially when my DSN says they'll settle - she's been saying that for 18 months! I don't know your age but something to consider. All the usual suspects have been checked - cannula sites, carb counting checks etc. Someone suggested tempreture but again my levels go up and down during cold spells and when it's hot.

Good luck - I hate to say it but you may never know exactly what causes this to happen or be able to accurately control it as blood sugars are so random during these times. I certainly have given up predicting when it's going to happen. :crazy:

C-J-N

Hello
Thank you for your help; I don't know anyone else that's diabetic so it's great to be able to come on here and get advice from others.
I am a 29 year old woman so hopefully it's nothing to do with the menopause; I have no reason to suspect it is. I considered that it might be to do with my period but the dates don't match up and it changes every 2 to 3 weeks rather than every 4 so that doesn't seem to be it either. I'm trying to get a new appointment arranged at the diabetes clinic so hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on the issue.
Thank you and good luck Riri trying to get yours sorted as well.

lins100

I have had diabetes type 1 for 26 years now. I'm 35. I have had this problem for a while now. When I used to eat meals at same time and gave myself same amount of insulin and carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner my sugars were more stable than they are now that I 'think' I know my insulin to carb ratio. But even this seems to change from week to week but could also be due to stress, phyical activity or eating food I haven't before and guessing the carbs arong. I sometimes think the carbs listed on the food packet is wrong as often my fluctuations make no obvious sense or have any reasoning behind them. Its very frustrating. I have spoken with my gp, nurse and doctor and dietician and they say this is normal for most diabetics but u have to ensure u correct the low or high. They give me no resolve but offer advice as to why it might happem. Its very hit and miss and leaves us at risk of complications.