Type 1 with hypothyroidism; how to lose weight??

berry121

Hi everyone,

I hope that someone can help!
I am trying to keep my weight off, but am struggling as it keeps piling on... and on...
I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 2 years old. I am now 25 years old. My HBa1c at the last check was 7. My current BMI is 28 (overweight). I am 5 foot 3 and am a UK dress size 12 (perhaps bigger now). I have a 9am-6pm office job. I am currently taking 150 micrograms of Levothyroxine. I currently take 26 units of insulin in the morning and insulin with every meal.

I try to avoid bread, rice, pasta and potato and general sugary items, to try and minimise the amount of insulin I need to take. On an average day, I eat a bowl of weetabix for breakfast, raw veg for mid morning and mid afternoon snack, salad, soup or similar for lunch and fish with veg for dinner. I drink a lot of water but also drink a lot of tea! I do quite like the occasional biscuit, hot cross bun and the occasional take away, but who doesn't!? :)

I do not drink alcohol, 'do' drugs or smoke.

I do what I think is a lot of exercise (though my boyfriend would disagree!)
Monday: 1 hour circuits class
Tuesday: Pole fitness class
Wednesday: 1 hour circuits class or 45 minutes spinning class
Thursday: 1 hour swimming
Friday: 45 minutes spinning
Saturday: 1 hour or more swimming
Sunday: usually a long walk (Geocaching)

And I cycle to work (10 minutes there and 10 minutes back- not far!)

I have reasonable blood sugar control, but have my highs and lows like everyone, I guess. I have been on the carb counting course.

I used to not do any exercise and started the above routine and weight came off. Then the doctor decreased my thyroxine and has continued to keep decreasing my thyroxine. The weight just keeps going on and my clothes no longer fit and have no energy and am getting very down and upset about my weight. My friends/colleagues do 2-3 bits of mediocre exercise a week and they lose weight at a click of the finger, with hardly any effort. My self esteem is through the floor and I am thoroughly fed up.

If I have a night time hypo, I do go on the 'naughty cupboard binge', but have found a way around that now and this happens less and less.

I have been to see the dietician, GP, diabetes doctor etc. and all I have been told is to 'keep going on as you are'. Maddening, because I am getting bigger and bigger, no matter what I do.

Does anyone have any advice, hints, tips or similar experiences? Are there particular things I should avoid or implement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

GlazedDoughnuts

Dear Berry,

do you calorie count? Try eating less calories than your body needs to maintain it's weight, it seems like you get plenty of exercise, calorie counting should hopefully help shed the weight.

A guideline I use to work out how many calories I need is bodyweight converted into lbs x 14kcal (per lb of bodyweight) MINUS 500kcal if you intend to lose weight, from there onwards adjust as I lose weight etc.

Also I try to keep my diet fairly lean, so big on protein, moderate carbs and moderate fat. But whatever happens I always COUNT my calories.

MyFitnessPal is awesome at doing that!

Try to avoid excessive alcohol consumption/recreational drugs.

Elc1112

I can relate 100%! I've been type 1 since I was a kid. I'm 29 now. Been on Thyroxine for several years. Really struggle to lose the weight (find it far too easy to put it on).

I follow a low carb, low calorie diet and exercise six days a week. For the record, I think you're getting plenty of exercise and the pole fitness class sounds amazing - wish my gym did that! I've spoken to my GP, dietician etc. and really haven't found their advice helpful. They tell me I am eating too few calories (1000ish). If I eat more I put weight on. The dietician suggested I upped the exercise. When I am supposed to squeeze it in I really don't know!

When I do lose weight it comes off so, so slowly. It's incredibly frustrating!

My GP prescribed my metformin last years. I'm not overweight but he said it may help to stop the weight gain. It just have me a bad stomach so I came off it.

I realise that my post isn't overly helpful. I just wanted to let you know what you're not alone!

Em x

janeclark53

i have hypothyroidism for alsmost two years and was recently diagnosed type 1. i lost weight when diagnosed with bith( it is rare with hypothyroidusm but does happen) i also lost a lot of weight before being diagnoser type 1. eveyonce in a while i gain 5 lbs or so in a few days despite eating v low carb etc...then i realised it is fluid!!! usually corresponds with monthly cycle and low days...apparentlt if u are low and have maybe been high fir a day body retains fluid incase of another high day. hri water tablets which doc says are ok help a lot.

bethan90

This worries me as I have been diagnosed with hypothyroid recently but docs are waiting for some reaso before putting me on meds. My understanding is that when your thyroid levels are corrected by Levo your symptoms (including weight gain) will disappear. Have you had your thyroid function tested lately to check they're giving you the right level of meds?
The only hope I've been clinging to is that once I'm on the meds I'll start having more energy and my weight loss will become a bit easier!

berry121

Thank you so much for your replies :)

Bethan90- try not to worry about it yet- it might not be the same for everyone! Yes, my thyroid has been tested recently- but sadly, every time it is tested, the dosage gets reduced...

Janeclark53- thank you so much for your post- I will certainly give that a go :)

Elc1112- Thank you so much as well- it really is good to know I am not alone. It's funny to read your post- it's like reading my own mind! Im sorry that you are having the same dilemma- hopefully something some one suggests here will help :)

Glazeddoughnuts- Love the name! Thank you for your suggestion. No, I do not rigourously count calories- although I do count carbs to measure insulin. I do not eat a huge amount every day and what I do eat is very healthy- I don't think that I can eat much less.

Thanks for all of your help so far :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, I think before I can offer advice I need to come and observe the pole class, just to be able to form an opinion, scientific reasons :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Would you say there is any links between diabetes and hypothyroidism?, I ask because my daughter 10 yrs has been on metformin since she was 3 for hyperinsulinism now she has just been diagnosed as having hypothyroidism and it seems kinda funny, I wonder if there could be a link?

GlazedDoughnuts

berry121 said:
Glazeddoughnuts- Love the name! Thank you for your suggestion. No, I do not rigourously count calories- although I do count carbs to measure insulin. I do not eat a huge amount every day and what I do eat is very healthy- I don't think that I can eat much less.

Thanks for all of your help so far :)

Good stuff, try calorie counting in that case, MyFitnessPal is your friend.

I've made fruitless attempts at weight loss in the past, a lot of it boiled down to not counting calories, your situation may be a little difference but ultimately the concept of calorie counting still has it's place :)