How many grams of carbs do you have a day?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunshine_Kisses said:
I definitely think my body must be in shock; I've not lost a lb, despite two months of no sugar whatsoever (chocolates, cakes, biscuits and crisps were all a daily habit before!) and quite majorly changing my diet... And upping my exercise! So I find it a bit odd that I've still not lost any weight... But know its the numbers that are most important !

Hi Sunshine :) - have you tried measuring yourself? If you are exercising more than you did you may be building muscle as well as losing a bit of weight, muscle weighs heavier than fat so one may be cancelling out the other, but you may have lost inches! Weight loss isn't always about pounds and ounces. Keep up the good work you are doing a great job all round :)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I aim to eat less than 50g of carbs each day and have been successful so far. The most I have is around 40g if I feel hungry in the day. Most of the time though, I find I can go from breakfast-lunch without feeling peckish, but from lunch-dinner is a little more of a challenge. On my hour long journey home I often feel like I could use some sustenance. To stop this, I just have a bag of peanuts which are 27.8g of carbs in total for what I eat. Not too terrible considering!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I try for 30 per day following Bernstein. sometimes it's just a little more. I doubt I hit 50 even once a week.
Hana

Sunshine_Kisses

Wow, am so impressed with you all doing super low carb! I've seen if I can go any lower the last couple of days and the only way I seem to be able to is if I miss out lunch... And even then I'm still around 75grm's.... I do think that's partly cos I'm veggie and don't want to eat eggs more than once a day... But it's really interesting to hear what's working for others :)

And thanks so much lovinglife for the words of encouragement - I'm not sure I've lost much up to now as my clothes aren't looser *but* my blood sugars are balancing out and I think I finally might have lost a pound or two, according to my scales - so getting there - whoop! :)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like hana said Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Diet book is an excellent introduction into low carbing. It's a bit of a diatribe but the philosophy is sound. If you are still achieving the numbers you gave earlier then perhaps you don't need to reduce your carb intake. Although, I'm a T1 and achieving those numbers on insulin is hard!

Have a look at the books I suggested, some great recipes and ideas in there. I wouldn't focus too much on weight, from your profile picture you don't look like you need to lose weight. Focus on your BG by trying to stick to the guidelines: less than 9 mmol/l 2 hours after eating and below 7 mmol/l before eating.

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
I do 20g of carbs a day, because I'm on the Keto diet to stop using carbs for energy and start using fats instead. For the first two weeks you're tired because your body needs to adjust to using fats for energy instead, so you do as little as possible while this happens. And you keep the carbs low to force your body to use fats for energy. I'm at the end of my two weeks now and I feel great. I've lost 10lbs in that time from sitting my backside and eating high fat foods. I'm vegetarian, so lots of salads with cheese and creamy desserts have been my diet, which was pretty easy to do. Now I'm using fats for energy instead, I'm going to start working out as well.

I'm probably going to stick to 20g of carbs a day because it's easy. Daikon Radish will replace a potato, low carb pitta bread or flax bread replaced my breads. That's about the only major change I needed to make. Oh, and cheese crisps are fantastic! (chop up some cheese, stick it on grease proof paper, sprinkle some paprika on it, stick it in the microwave for 1 minute. Take it out, and remove it from the oily paper. Leave to cool for few mins and you have great tasting cheese crisps).

I have to say this is the best diet I've ever been on. I'm feeling better, looking better and the diet has an 84% chance of reversing the effects of Type 2 diabetes (it was tested at Duke University under the 'Bergstein Diet'). So, I'm optimistic that even if I don't ditch the diabetes, I can manage it easily on this diet.

So, my advice is to have as low carbs as you can for two weeks to get your body using fats for energy instead, then decide if you feel like you need more after that. Personally, I think I can live happily on 20g of carbs a day forever, so I'm sticking with it.

*Edit: This will only work for Type 2 diabetes. Type 1 is caused by different reasons. Type 2 is caused by an immunity to your natural insulin, so removing carbs and caffeine from your diet can resensitise your body to the natural insulin your body creates, thus reversing the effects of Type 2 diabetes. Even if it doesn't reverse it, it will manage it and keep you feeling good.

Also, I should mention that you don't count calories at all at the start of this diet, and you eat as much fat as you can because it's your energy source. If you eat high fat/low carb meals you won't be hungry at all on the diet. You'll find you don't need to eat as many meals at you used to. You eat when your hungry, and you never go hungry on the diet. Meat eaters have an easier time, lots of bacon and fish with leafy green veg.

Avoid fruits like apples and oranges, they are high in natural sugar. Eat them sparingly. Berries are usually okay all the time and some nuts are good snacks too.

Cream, cheese, high fat/low carb foods and lots of non-root vegetables are good.

Potatoes, carrots etc - avoid.

Make sure you get all your vitamins, proteins and fats each day. If you like Mexican food, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, peppers in a bacon wrap is a good one to try.

Holland and Barratt have a zero carb rice and zero carb pasta available (I'm going to test those out this week).

Linseed is great for baking because it's high fat and low carb with tons of amazing nutrients in it. Coconut flour is perfect for baking sweets like cookies, cakes etc, and you can use coconut flour and butter to make butter icing, and you can have as much cream as you want in them/on them.

Sugar substitues are Splenda or hermesetas at the moment, but there is a new one coming out that's made from steam with 0 carbs that I'm going to try.

I'm not a fan of Kale chips, but a lot of people like them.

I'm going to try UK Fish and Chips this week, with a linseed batter mix on some cod, deep fried in sunflower oil and Daikon Fries (also known as 'Boardwalk Fries')

I'm also going to try making a Cheese and Onion pasty (the one with no potatoes in) using soya flour.

There really isn't anything you can't eat. It's just a case of changing the ingredients :)

I'll post up any successful recipes.

Sunshine_Kisses

Wow, Claire87, you sound like you're doing an *amazing* job {bows down as so impressed with your recipe's!}

I thought I was quite good at being creative with food, but you sound like you're *on it*! Go you! :)

I'm still not confident I could drop my carbs that low - I don't seem to be able to have cheese with out it spiking my blood sugars... which is odd, as you're about the fifth person to suggest cheese as a good option... still, I do eat fish, so have that every evening meal at the mo. I can't bear to add it to lunch as well (I like fish, but lunch and dinner of fish will be too fish-tastic for me! :lol: ) so I've been having breakfast of eggs and almonds (pancakes), skipping out lunch and then having dinner of fish the last couple of days - but the my fitness pal ap still tells me I'm having around 75grms carb a day.... but I am going to google some of the things you've recommended above as not heard of lots of them (what are daikon fries?! Hermesetas? Daikon Radish? Low carb pitta??? And I did used to use coconut flour but had completely forgotten about it - so will get my baking hat on again! Coconut macaroons used to be easy, and yummy - imagine they must be relatively low carb!)

I'm also going to look at the books you've recommended SamJB - and thanks for saying I don't look I need to loose weight :) I know I'm not *very* overweight - my bmi is 23 I think - but I do have a bit too much fat on my belly - which I'm told is the absolute worst place to store it, and that often, by shifting belly fat specifically you can also improve insulin sensitivity in Type 2... hence being a little keen to get rid of the tum! :D

Having said all that, I had my very first near 'hypo' experience this afternoon, which was pretty unpleasant - went for a run (running is still new for me, and part of the 'get rid of the belly/lower blood sugars plan), came back, was doing some stretches to cool down and suddenly felt really odd... by the time I'd gotten my meter out I was shaking a lot... tested, and was 4.1 - which I know isn't strictly a 'hypo' but that's the lowest reading I've ever had and defo didn't feel well... still don't really get where it came from as we seem to have established I'm not actually very low carb, lol, so not sure what that was about - despite eating and being back in the 6's 20 mins later, I still feel quite sick so quite keen not to repeat that :?

Any clues as to what it was? As I said, running is new to me, but I hadn't pushed harder than the other 5 or 6 times I've been out and my blood sugars were actually a little higher than usual before I went out so I would have thought that meant I had extra glucose to burn? It's a mystery this blood sugar thing sometimes I tell yee... :lol:

damienmyers69

Dislikes
hate salad, most veg, most fruit
I don't actually count carbs, but I do count the value under them which says.. of which sugars.

usually if I keep that 2nd value to no more than 12grams a meal, 2 metformin push blood sugars back to normal within 6 hours.

actually makes meals much easier to work out too.

Sunshine_Kisses

Hmm, interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way, thanks! :)

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Hi Sunshine :) Glad it was helpful.

I found that if I threw out the store bought food and did some baking once a month, I could freeze and make my own ready meals, which was a better option. Everything store bought is loaded with carbs to preserve it, but it doesn't have to be. One thing I learned was to read the nutritional info on the back and ignore the labels on the front. A lot of things that are called low carb, really aren't. In fact, I don't think I found one low-carb option in big supermarkets that was genuinely low carb. The mass production places are still loading carbs into everything, and you need to avoid low fat things like the plague.

If you're cutting carbs, but not quite enough and then doing a lot of energetic exercise, like running, it will knock you out at the start of the diet because your body is still using carbs for energy, but it's not getting enough fuel because you're cutting them. Meanwhile, your fats are sitting on your waist. So the reason I cut my carbs completely was to get my body to use my fats for energy faster--you've gotta remove the carbs to force your body to change over so it eats the fats. The process is called 'Ketosis'. The Keto diet eats away at the belly fat and all the other fat in your body and uses it for energy once it kicks in. But, it's really important that you don't work out on my diet for the first two weeks while your body changes over, or you'll feel like you've died. So it's a case of having a lazy couple of weeks where you focus on cutting carbs. You need to let your body get used to the diet for at least two weeks before doing anything else. You'll have a few tired moments, but they don't last long, and eating something always helps them go away. So stock in high-fat and low-carb foods and grab some good movies to watch while you lounge on the couch.

I had two stone to lose, so I lost weight faster, like all diets, the closer you get to your target weight the less weight you lose, but my mother is on it and sticking to 40g of carbs a day she lost 5lbs in a week with only 1 stone to lose and doing no exercise at all. She's not diabetic. She just wanted to never be diabetic, so she jumped into the diet with me. But she found ketosis harder than me, and I think it's because of her doubled up carb intake. Basically, the more carbs you give your body, the longer it is going to take to change over to fats for energy. Your body will keep trying to use the meagre carbs (thus making you tired) instead of changing over to fats. So, I shocked mine into changing over faster to get it to work, but even then I had a couple of days of feeling tired during my first two weeks.

Once the two weeks are over, if you're still losing weight you stick to it. But, if it stops losing weight you start counting calories (based on your BMI) and doing HIIT exercise to get rid of the final few pounds. By the two week time, you'll be feeling better and full of energy, so that's pretty easy. After that it's a case of maintaining your weight and keeping the carbs low, but low carbs can be 50g-70g a day at that point. You'll still keep using fats for energy, so the carbs can go up a little bit. Personally, I don't want mine to go back up though. I can't see the point in having carbs. They do nothing for my body that is good.

Also, watch out for caffeine. It does give energy, but it also desensitises your body to your natural insulin. So, I went decaf on everything, to get it out of my diet.

I was only diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago, but luckily one of my best friends is a nutritionist, so she set me in the right direction on day one. I still haven't seen my doctor's nutritionist or found out about blood sugar levels yet. I'm still waiting for the appointment. I got told to lose weight, so when my friend told me about the keto diet (which is for body builders and oddly, obese people who can't get out of bed) I went into research mode and looked at how I could manage it. Oddly, a lot of my recipes came from the bodybuilder's forum or chefs with diabetes.

I'm wondering how cheese can spike your blood sugars. I wonder if it's the kind of cheese you use? Anything 'low-fat' is high-carb. Replace low-fat spreads with full-fat butter. Try full-fat cheese: Cheddar, Double Gloucester, Wensleydale etc. I use cheddar in just about everything because it has no carbs and tons of fats and proteins. Full-fat milk is another to have, but use it sparingly. Low-fat foods are loaded with carbs, even skimmed milk and yoghurts. For me, I had to unlearn everything I knew about diets and turn it on its head. So on the cheese, I'd check what kind you eat. One triangle of Dairylea has 1g of carbs in it, but one giant block of cheddar has 0 carbs in it. You need to be eating the highest fats you can on this diet to make it work. Milk is something to use sparingly. I have a splash of some each morning in a decaf coffee and that's it. And avoid cereals like the plague. A small bowl of porridge or some museli can be had, but for the carb count in them compared to how filling they are, I just removed them from my diet totally. I'm happy with some coconut cake for breakfast instead.

For the start, ignore calories and exercise and focus solely on low carbs. You physically can't eat too many fats on this diet. High fat foods fill you up, so after a full-fat meal you will be stuffed and not need anymore food for several hours. If you eat meat there are lots of foods you can have, but I haven't researched them because I'm a veggie. But I know I saw a lot of recipes with bacon in them on my travels, so that looks like a good thing to have. This is a good guide to what you can eat. The low carb food pyramid: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/ig/Low-Carb-Food-Pyramid/. The top tier, you avoid or use sparingly, the lowest tier you can eat as much as you want of. It gives you an idea of the better food types to choose.

Eggs are a great source of protein, so omlettes etc. are a great option. Pancakes with soya flour, rather than regular flour will cut your carbs immensely. Anything with wheat, corn and even oats in it are carb monsters, so you need to change the flour you use. Also avoid yeast if you can. When it's cooked it turns into sugars, so extra carbs.

Here are the flours I know of so far:

Linseed meal/Flax meal -- This is an ancient food source that has been used since ancient Egypt for baking. It's high in protein and fats, low in carbs and full of Omega nutrients and iron, which is why a lot of people recommend it. It's a super food. You can put the full seed or the meal in a lot of things. It's got a nutty flavour, so I tend to mix it in with savoury recipes for the nutrients. But you can make museli out of the whole grain with berries in it.

Coconut flour -- It's high protein and fat with a lot of nutrients. It's also low carb. I find everything I bake with it tastes like coconut, so cakes, cookies and macaroons are all good with this. I've got a recipe for coconut chocolate chip cookies from the scone chef that looks really good for this, but there are lots and lots of recipes you can use. Just Google 'Low Carb Recipes'. If one serving of something filling is under 7 carbs, I usually give it a try. The scones are like a whole meal because of the cream in them, so they work for a nice breakfast.

Soya Flour -- It's high protein, fat and low carb. It was a super food in the 1970s. It's a pale flour that resembles regular flour in many ways. It has a very mild nutty flavour, but works well in everything pretty much. I'll often use it for pastry. I actually ate this before the diet began. I'm surprised I don't see it more in low carb recipes, since it's the lowest carb flour I've found. (14g carbs per 100g of flour).

Almond Flour -- Again it's high protein and fat and low carb. I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm told it's a great flour substitute.

Hemp Flour -- Another one I have yet to try.

Depending on what you make, you change up the flour. For sweet stuff, I tend to go for coconut or almond flour. For savoury I like linseed or soya flour. I think sweet flavoured baking is easier to replicate, because coconut flour is so good. It's naturally sweet in flavour, so you don't need many artificial sweeteners in it to make it taste great. You can also use 85% dark chocolate sparingly to decorate your macaroons for example. Be careful with dessicated coconut because they sweeten it. Go for coconut flakes instead. Bascially, you have to read the carb content on everything. In flours, under 30g of carbs per 100g seems to be the max carbs you want.

Also, you need new recipes for most things you make. There are recipes for just about everything, but they are all made a bit differently to the regular recipe (an example would be bread with no yeast and five eggs in it instead).

I've compiled a list of recipes I plan to try. I wonder if I can attach the document here? It might be useful to you. No, it doesn't look like I can, but if you just Google 'low fat coconut cake' for example, there are 100s of blogs from people around the world with recipes to try, and most of them are pretty good. I found a lot on food.com.

A Daikon Radish is a very mild radish (I think it comes from Japan). It looks like a massive parsnip and is also called a 'Mooli' which can be bought online at Ocado (Waitrose) and offline I found it in most Japanese stores. If you cut it up into chip shapes and fry it in sunflower oil or even butter, it tastes just like a potato. The only difference is that it has stringy insides, so a celery kind of texture. To avoid it being a weird chip, just cut it width ways, so the strings are all cut short and not noticeable. I was amazed, because raw, it tastes like a radish, but when you fry it up like a chip, it tastes exactly the same as one. I heard there's also a method of boiling the stringyness out of it to make mashed mooli (mashed potato) and roast potatoes etc.

Hermesetas are just sugar replacement. There are a lot of artificial sweeteners, and it's a toss up between natural sugars and lab made sugars. In tea or coffee I'll use the no carb option because it's less carbs. Some people don't like them because 'sucralose' (the 0 carb sweetener) has the possiblity of chlorine traces in it, but the thing is that tap water has traces of chlorine in it, so to be honest, I'd choose the 0 carb sweetener over the natural sugar substitute. I'm fighting diabetes, so any other effects aren't my biggest concern. But, there is a new sweetener coming out soon, that I'm told is 0 carb and 0 risk. It's made with steam. So that would be a solution for both. People who want only natural will use Stevia sugar. It's higher in carbs, but purely natural. People just cutting carbs will use sucralose based sweeteners (Splenda or Hermesetas etc.) It's a choice you make on a personal level I think, but I go for 0 carb because I'm focussed on beating diabetes rather than living organically, right now.

For a quick meal, something I really like is what I'm calling a Mexican salad. To me, it tastes just like a cheesy nacho platter. I slice up some iceberg lettuce and cover my plate in it. Then I chop up a tomato and some cucumber and put it on top of the lettuce. Then I grate up as much cheddar cheese as I want and sprinkle it over the top of the salad (the more the merrier). I mash up an avacado with half a crushed garlic clove in it to make some guacamole, then add a couple of tbsps of Doritos mild salsa, a couple of spoonfuls of my guacamole and a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream (on the sauces the more the merrier). This makes a gorgeous salad that really tastes like a nacho platter. It's full of nutrition, protein and fats, and it fills you up for hours. I feel like I've had a four course meal after it, and it's yummy if you like Mexican food. You can chop up bacon or chicken and throw it in there too if you eat meat. This was my staple diet for my first week while I was trying to find recipes etc. It takes a few minutes to make and it's good in all the right ways. The only thing with carbs in is the salsa, but 100g is about 6g of carbs, so at the most you'll be looking at a 7g carb meal with this.

Another one is Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. You have to buy the mix on Amazon (It's called Hidden Valley Ranch Mix). The flavour is what they use to flavour Cool Dorito Chips, so if you like those, you'll like this. You mix a spoonful of the powder with half a pot of sour cream, then dip things into it. My favourite is slices of cucumber dipped in it. You can also drizzle it on salads and do just about anything with it. It's very moorish, high protein and low carb as a cool dressing for a lot of things.

At the end of the day everyone likes different things. If you weren't on a diet, what would be your favourite fatty meal? What's that meal you used to ban on low fat diets? Finding the substitute for that is usually the answer. Mine were cheesy nachos and cheese sandwiches. So, I found a way to replace them and keep the flavour.

I hope all this helps :) (I do write essays don't I? lol)

Reactions: 2 people

Sunshine_Kisses

Wow, so much helpful / useful info in this, *thank you* !!

I've got a lot of research / reading to do... ;-)

Loosely speaking, without yet reading more around it, it sounds as if you're helping your system to reset in the same way as the 5:2 eating method does.... Which is interesting as I definitely think my metabolism needs some sort of kick start!
Also super interesting what you said about bodies looking to use carbs and not using fat reserves - that's clearly what mine is doing as there's a definite layer of fat on my belly that it continues to keep ignoring!! ;-) lol!

So I will very eagerly read more around what you've posted - and loving your recipe ideas too - keep em coming! :-D

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

Sunshine_Kisses

Just read through this again and absorbed a bit more :)
It's *so* helpful, thank you :)

You asked me about the dairy I was trying that's spiking me - I've tried a few things: feta... I ate half a block crumbled over a big salad one lunch and it made my sugars shoot to double figures :-/
Same with full fat Greek yogurt, and full fat soft goats cheese... Although I have to say they've been a bit hit and miss cos I'll have something one day and it doesn't cause a spike, so I think it's 'safe' - then the next day eat it and it causes a spike!! So still trying to figure that one out ;-)

Regrettably I live too in the sticks for ocado to deliver to me - though waitrose do, so will look up the curious and fascinating sounding radishes there!

Also am soooo googling coconut cake - for breakfast?! How fabulous! :-D

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Clair87, your Keto diet is very like Atkins Induction.

The version of Atkins I use is a Sticky Thread on the Low-fat section of the forum - Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. It's worth having a look at it for the list of low-carb foods - a good base to start from. If you want more carbs you add them in from the lower-carb and Low GI foods. As you increase the carbs, so you reduce the fats - the carb/fat combination is what puts weight on me!

For those of you who don't eat meat, Atkins Induction is difficult because the carb-free protein sources without meat are limited. Rose Elliott, the writer of vegetarian cookbooks, wrote a low-carb recipe book for vegetarians which I think is now out of print. Try Amazon or similar for a second-hand copy.

Also have a look at the Low-carb Recipe section of the forum. Loads of really good recipes on there, posted by committed low-carbers who are also great cooks :D .

I try to stick to 30g of carb per day, which keeps my blood glucose levels in the non-diabetic range. If I go up to 50g daily my BGs are still non-diabetic, but over 70g and not only do my BGs creep up, but I start to gain weight as well! :shock: We are all different; others on here manage perfectly well on up to 150g carbs, and control their intake by portion control. I'm still losing weight, so keeping my carbs down, but I'm pretty sure that once I've lost another 60lbs or so (60lbs already gone :D ) I'll be able to eat a few more carbs without any problems.

A good book about low-carb and diabetes is Atkins Diabetes Revolution, by Dr M C Vernon and J Eberstein RN. It's written mainly for Type 2s, but is of some interest to Type 1s also.

The range for non-diabetic blood glucose is:

3.5 - 5.5 before meals
less than 8, 2 hours after eating (I prefer less than 7.8)
HbA1c 4.6 - 5.4%, or between 20 and 42 in new money.

Hope this is of some use.

Viv 8)

PS Sunshine_Kisses, your hypo feelings after exercise were probably because the exercise had lowered your blood glucose to a level your body is not accustomed to. You should be fine at 4.1; but if your body is used to higher BG levels you can get "false hypo" symptoms until your body becomes accustomed to the new levels. I always carry a few glucose tabs (car, bag, testing kit); one or two will quickly raise the BGs until you feel comfortable again (check again to make sure the figure has risen). I haven't had to use one in months!

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Hey Sunshine :)

I'm glad it helped. For the most part it's working out what really want to eat and then finding a way to cook it, store it and have a nice big plan of meals made up for when you get the munchies.

Have you tried cheddar cheese instead? It might be a case of finding the right cheese for you. I find cheddar works in all my recipes, so if you're okay on that one it might be a good change. There's also cottage cheese, which I'm told is really good.

@Viv: Yep, the diet is very similar to Atkins. It's based on the Bergstein diet, but bodybuilders altered it slightly and call it the Keto diet because it's ketogenic. You go through Ketosis (using fats for energy rather than carbs) that's kind of the whole purpose of it. I found for the first two weeks I ate a lot and felt a bit ******, but after that I don't need much food because it's high fat. Weight just falls off me, and I feel amazing and energetic all the time. I only had ten carbs yesterday because I was full for most of the day.

Congrats on the 60lbs! I've only lost 10 so far (maybe a few more, I only weigh in once a week, so I dunno what this week is yet) but it's only the middle of week 3 for me :) I'm hoping to be doing at least 5lbs a week, which is looking quite easy.

I love this diet more than any other because I can kind of eat what I want as long as I do some clever cooking. I just had a 5g cheese and onion pasty! What other diet can you have a pasty on? lol. For me at the moment it's a voyage of discovery in working out what I can bake. I'm finding that there isn't much you can't make with a bit of creativity :)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Also, for chocoholics. It's not a perfect solution, but there is a Stevia chocolate bar at Holland and Barrett. It's 6-7g per bar, so personally I'd only eat a bit of one a day because it's not super filling or a meal, but if you want a quick chocolate fix. It's not a bad replacement :)

BigStevie1973

Hi,

Here is something, which I have tried that is 0g carbs, 0g fat, 0 kcals and just slightly above 0% flavour!! :wink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ck+of+6%29

They are "miracle" noodles from Japan and I've found that if you rinse them well (they smell a bit funky when you first open the packet) and warm them in some pasata (I recommend one with garlic / herbs etc for extra flavour), they actually make quite a tasty and filling meal with virtually no calories bar for what's in the pasata. They have a slightly odd texture that I can best describe as slightly overdone spaghetti. They work out about £2.50 a packet but one packet should easily do two meals and this can be spread out further by adding chicken, fish or some other protein based "filler". Hope this is some help!! :D

Stevie

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Those are great Stevie. I just picked some up for my boyfriend (I'm trying to ween him off carbs lol). He hasn't tried them yet, but hopefully he likes them. I found some 0 carb rice made of the same thing from Holland and Barrett, which I plan to try with cheesy rice. (That's just melted cheese, fried onions and celery mixed into rice--something I used to eat before diabetes :D). I'm hoping it's more like rice than microwaved cauliflower was lol.

Sunshine_Kisses

Hey Claire, if you read my new sugar and readings thread you'll see that maybe me and dairy are starting to make friends?! Will defo keep experimenting! :-D

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

Sunshine_Kisses

Viviennem; makes sense! I do think my body was probably used to being late teens most of the time at diagnosis (poor body!) as I didn't get a meter till two months after that and had already cut out all sugars / **** and reduced my carb intake lots - but was initially still getting readings of 14/15 after breakfast each day as didn't realise porridge wasn't agreeing with me! So now that I'm mostly in single figures my body must need time to adapt and catch up... Hasn't happened again so all good! :)

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian