2 in 1 ragu alla bolognese & chilli con carne

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These two dishes are very easy but the first cooking takes a long time, 3 to 4 hours simmering is best.

Firstly, the meat. Skirt (or flank) steak is best. I use about 2lbs and slice very thinly across the grain. Then I cut each slice in half. This is a very lean meat and is inexpensive. Cooking this for a long time makes superb sauce.

Very gently fry a cupfull of finely diced pancetta (smoked or unsmoked, bacon will do at a pinch) in a pan to extract the fat. Whilst this is breaking down, blitz 1 medium onion, 1 large stick of celery and one large carrot in a food processor so it is a mush. Add this to the pancetta in the saucepan and cook gently for about 5 mins. Then add the pile of thinly sliced skirt steak, turn the heat up to medium and stir until the meat is browning nicely. Add a good measure of red or white wine and two tins of chopped tomatoes. Stir in and bring to a gentle boil, turn the heat down, cover and let it simmer for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally and checking to see it is not getting too dry. Add to this salt and pepper. I also add three or four finely chopped anchovies and three or four finely chopped sun dried tomatoes or tomato concentrate. The long simmer breaks the meat down and, as it falls apart, it 'thickens' the sauce. If it is getting too dry towards the end, add a little water. You don't need any spices or stock cubes.

When ready, divide in two, putting one portion away for a chilli. For the Ragu alla bolognese, I use wholegrain Penne which I cook until it is 'al dente' ie very slightly chewy. When cooked, add the penne to the ragu and mix. Penne works well because the sauce gets into the little tubes.

The next day, warm the other portion up but this time add a tin or two of red kidney beans and some finely chopped red chilli's. Drain the liquid from the kidney beans otherwise it will be too salty. Deseed the chillis if you don't like it too hot. Put some brown rice on and bring to the boil. I boil it in a vegetable stock. Brown rice needs 20 or 25 mins to cook and remains chewy. Drain the rice and serve with the chilli sauce.

The above should be enough for 3 portions of ragu and 3 portions of chilli. They are filling meals and, using wholegrain pasta and brown rice, I find no appreciable effect on my BG.

volaer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
Re: 2 in 1 ragu alla bolognese & chilli con carne

Thank you for these awesome recipes!!!

Sent from the Officially Diabetic