diabetic nurse (first visit).

kerrycakes

I've seen lots of people asking about first visit with the diabetic nurse, and as I had my first visit today, i thought I'd say, I had built it up in my mind to be worse than it was. She was very nice, and asked on my feelings of being diagnosed. She gave me a lot of information and explanation on things, and told me how things would be managed, what we were aiming for in terms of bg levels and stuff. She reasured me that I was normal in what i was thinking and feeling, and we had a chat about how my diagnosis would affect the other meds i was already on, and that she would be working around those as they were already doing what they were supposed to, and it would make things worse in terms of my mental health and my diabeties if they were changed to suit the diabeties. This reasured me as I had been worried about that. She checked my blood pressure, and my weight and my feet (with a funny little plastic thing just to check nerves were being as they should) She gave me a perscription for foot balm, as the otc creams i've been using for dry skin on my feet were not quite effective enough. She listened to the changes i've made to excersise and diet since being diagnosed, and gave me a few tips. I came away feeling a lot more informed, and feeling a bit better about things. So yeah, hope this helps others that are worried about seeing the diabetic nurse for the first time :)

Reactions: 2 people

Trunin

Dislikes
Arrogance, lies, and flees
Hello !

It is always comforting to see positive posts like yours. Me too I had a good experience when I saw the endocrinologist for the first time about two months ago, and I assure you that I was not happy to be told I was pre-diabetic. But my doctor explained to me it was not the end of the world and that I had the opportunity to beat this thing if I did my homework. Diet, exercise and metformin keep the numbers down and finally, I must recognize that this new challenge has been a reminder of how important it is to live a healthy life and to take better care of my body, this wonderful machine! Good luck to you :)

unhappy

Hi, my first visit was unfortunate horrible. I had a very nasty nurse who didn't want to listen to anything I had to say, butting in mid sentence to tell me she wasn't interested in that !! When I tried to ask about diet she said " well I'd tell you to take out refined sugar from your diet but your not interested in that so you can go onto metformin" I came out feeling angry and let down and no I will not be making another appointment to see her again. When I told my daughter how upset i was she told me to make a complaint against her as this was not the first time she had been nasty to a patient. I have turned to this site and as many other diabetic sites for advice instead. I don't want to change my doctor as she is lovely and always happy to listen to me and help where possible .. my only problem is this nurse who I'm doubting has any real knowledge of diabetes anyway !!

kerrycakes

Sorry your first visit was so awful :-( i agree with your daughter, complaining is a good plan. Is there another nurse in the practice that you could see? Hope things get better for you :( wish i could wave a wand and make it better :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

unhappy

Hi, I'm not sure if there is anyone else I could see, I would need to ask. At the moment I just feel unable to return to the practice at all, but I will have to as I get a repeat prescription I need to pick up. I just hope I can go through the door, ask for the prescription and get out before the receptionist connects me to that nurse. I have had my confidence knocked big style ... if I have got diabetes (which she didn't really confirm as she was so busy getting angry that I had the nerve to ask her questions instead of just agreeing) then I need help, not condemnation. I just know I can't talk to that person again. She glared at me when i walked into her room and snapped at me for the whole of the meeting. In her eyes I was an idiot who doesn't know anything so how dare I ask questions !!!

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would agree with the others, you need to put in a complaint. If the nurse treats all diabetics the same way, how many won't go back and get the help they need, which then can lead to further complications. After a lot of hassle in my local GP surgery, I finally put several complaints in (some they conveniently lost) for loosing records and not following up their own procedures things are slowly improving, (they even made the news for the numbers of complaints people have put in).

If you have a hospital local to you and have a diabetic team, you could express your concerns and ask to be referred to them. I am at this point thinking on this idea myself, but having trouble identifying if they have a good reputation or not.

unhappy

Hi Pav, the local hospital would be a good idea but for one small problem, my local hospital is the Stafford hospital which has been in the news so much lately as one of the worst in the country!!!! (not sure if they have a diabetic team)

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good point, as Stafford is not too far away from me, so get to see the news about it, hence my hesitation to go to my local hospital team (not Stafford), though I tried contacting the diabetes team and constantly got the answer phone saying they were off sick or no one was on duty type thing.

unhappy

the only good thing to come out of this is its made me more aware and also made me research diabetes with a vengeance .... I may even be more informed now than that nasty nurse !!!!!! The only problem is I would have be happier with someone who was more understanding and willing to offer me guidance instead of her "get on with it" attitude ... it makes me wonder if the surgeries gain by how many people they diagnose but not by how many they help ??

K

Kat100

Do you have a drop in or walk in centre near by...you could see someone there...they are good for asking questions and you are free to drop in...just a thought it may not e helpful or it might be...best wishes for the future. Also rude nurses and doctors are just not on.
I would have to say something but that's just my view.
:)

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is why I was getting concerned, as the doctors at my GP practice did not care that my numbers were in the 20's and said carry on as normal. It was only when I mentioned the figures to a nurse at the practice when seeing her for a separate thing, and she was very concerned and got things moving and was put on new meds later that day.

Been trying to find an alternative practice, some are only taking immediate locals, while others have a mixed reputation, seams better the devil you know and who to see when one has problems and at the moment I get test strips on prescription (though had to justify them).

K

Kat100

It's hard stick with it...we have to be so assertive when we feel that we need some support...make a list take it with you with all your needs written on it...you can do this..