What's wrong with me?

I know exactly how you feel.
I have been diabetic for 16 years now diagnosed when I was 9 (type 1).
Like you I have ignored the fact I was diabetic for a long time.
I went through a wild stage as my nurse liked to call it from the age of 16-21 I just wanted to forget I was diabetic. Working, collage, uni and partying all the time. I got by doing my basic injections and running high most of the time. I would be in and out of hospital all the time.
My partner used to worry and I would joke how its ok you can pick my outfits when I loose my eyesight or tell him how he can push me round when I have no legs. To be honest I felt hopeless with my diabetes and humour was just a cover up. I would go months without checking my blood sugars but always took my night time injection. Silly really when I look back.
I fell pregnant at 21 and had to regain control of my blood sugars for the sake of my baby. I then found myself falling back into my old ways just acting like I did not have time for diabetes.
A year later I had another baby so found myself taking good care again of my diabetes.
My babies are One and Two both me and my partner work so life is preety much none stop.
I rang my nurse realising I was falling back into stuff my diabetes ill worry about it when im older kind of way. She suggested doing the carbohydrates course so I went on it.
It was like getting reintroduced to diabetes I loved it. The course has given me I new outlook on my diabetes. I have started again with a fresh start and I now have the insulin pump.
The pump is totally amazing for me as life is non stop.
I would talk to your nurse about it and see if they are doing a course in your area.
If I can change anyone can I am a completely different person with my diabetes than I was 4 years ago.
I am completely different to how I was a month or two ago thanks to the course I would 100% recommend it to any type 1 who has fell out of touch with their diabetes.
Don't beat yourself up about it I dont I accepted I had a few years of not caring luckily I have done no damage.
Tomorrow's a new day just start again :).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App