traveling documents

jas76

im going on holiday soon and it will be the 1st time since i was diagnosed, i want to know what kind of documents i will need to take for the medication i'll be carrying, thank guys

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jesta1865

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
walking, dieting
Hi you need a letter from your doctor which says you are a diabetic, out should include all the medicine you are carrying and the fact you have to carry Sharps.

Always declare them, having said that no one ever questioned it, or asked to look at the letter etc.

Declaring it all can be an advantage sometimes, my wife and I landed in Brisbane a couple of years back, our plane and 3 other long haul flights came in roundabout the same time. So there were well over 2000 people in the hall trying to get through customs. As we declared my stash :) we were ushered down the red channel, to be met by a very nice Aussie and his tired dog. The dog gave the bags a cursory sniff and wanted to play more than work, so we got the all clear. Then asked if we had to go back through the normal channel and were told no all done, go through to the hall to meet our daughter. You have never seen so many people glare at 2 people as that morning. If looks could kill I would have been just a pair of smoking boots like a cartoon :)

jas76

brilliant, just spoke to the surgery and they dont do letters now they give you a print out of all the things you will be carrying in order to treat yourself so will pick that up in the morning, [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A letter from your gp is essential although I've never had to produce it at airports. A copy of the meds you are on is also recommended, I just use the tear off slips that we use to put in when requesting a repeat prescription as these detail all current meds, if your luggage was to get lost then you can just take this along to the local medical centre or pharmacy.