Mood swings/depression

jfyie123

Hi. Im a 18 year old man who has been receantly diagnosd with type 1 diabetes. I've noticed that my mood has decreased significantly since and i have had a very short temper, often getting angry over nothing. I was just wondering wheter anyone else has experienced this?? I just want to be on my own and get annoyed when other family members try to get involved.

Also i've felt slighty depressed but i didnt know if this was just me feeling sorry for myself, if its part of the condition or whether its just a personal thing??

any help would be welcome!

thankyou

Djashe2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
uneducated and ignorant people with views on diabtes
Jfyie123, im not a medically trained person just my own observations since i was diagnosed 3 years ago but low blood sugars can make me less tolerant and very snappy with people and then on te opposite high sugars i will not think before i speak and just blurt things out even if they are hurtful.

The depression side of things is a draw back from being diagnosed and best to speak to someone about it. The more u worry bout being diagnosed the worse it gets until you speak to someone.

Hope this helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had feelings of being depressed before diagnosis. Apparently this is a "symptom" of high BG for extended periods. I wasn't 'technically' depressed, just didnt care about a lot of things etc. this has been monitored in the last 3 months and I'm glad to say I'm now fit and well apparently!

I too am short tempered now. I rarely have low BG, but as I've only been Type 1 for 3 months I think it's just me taking out the little anger I do have recently about my diagnosis.

I'm hopeful it will pass :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jfyie123 said:
Also i've felt slighty depressed but i didnt know if this was just me feeling sorry for myself, if its part of the condition or whether its just a personal thing??

It's understandable that your mood has taken a tumble given that you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, there's a lot to take in and it can all become too much in the early stages and you just want to bury your head and hope it all goes away.

I went through the same period and I'm sure many other type 1's went through it also, however try and stay positive and accept help from your family and let them be aware of how your feeling, if things continue or progress then you need to talk to your gp or diabetes team and ask for help.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi,
I'm going through this myself at the moment although I've had type 1 for 17 years, I've finally admitted that I have depression and am off to the docs tomorrow. From talking with my family and partner we believe i've been slowly getting worse over the last two years. Alot has been going on and it's all got on top of me so I can relate.
Your newly diagnosed so it is very normal for you to be feeling like this. As people have mentioned try to just take it one day at a time and see how you go, if you do get worse you should go and see your GP and have a chat with them.

jfyie123

Thankyou everyone! it just annoys me because i go from the happiest guy in the world to miserable in the space of a few mins! Its comforting to know others have experienced and come through it though, hopefully i will too! I just feel, i dunno, that the worlds against me (dramatic i know!) but i do have things happening in my personal life which may be contibuting to my mood so hopefully that can improve and so can my mood.

Thankyou though everyone, like i said, its comforting to have people to talk to when you dont want to talk to those around me! :)

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I was the same today, I think I went from quite all morning, teary at lunch, laughing in the afternoon, snappy by home time and now I'm ok - just vacant.
I'm thinking of what to do to my life/work at the moment. Everything affects us in some way eventually. Something I've only just discovered this weekend.

Bighans

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars
Hi guys!

I'm in the same position with uncontrollable temper outbursts. I always disagree with everything and keep forgetting to count to 10. all my friends keep staying away and it really has an impact on my marriage. I tried to talk to a psychiatrist, receive medication for it, but no change. My sugars are somehow controlled and in single figures. Average 7.5, so not to bad at all. I use 76 units of Llantus at bedtime. in the morning 20 units of Novorapid and 1.8 mg of Victosa. At lunchtime and at tea time another 20 units each.
I lost my job and as soon i mention to some possible new employers that I suffer from Diabetes, they don't want to know. I feel like it is not worth living anymore and my depression is getting worse as we speak. Of course it is hard to find a job when you are over 50, but Diabetes certainly made it worse. Is there a law that I have to tell my employer everything or should i just don't tell them, i don't know?? :?: :?:
Anybody out there in a similar position, please share your advice and pm me your experience. :idea: :idea:

qbix

Hi,

I have been diagnosed for about 4 months now and I have slid into a bit of a depression about things too. I have been on prozac for a little over two weeks now and while I don't feel the worlds happiest person, I don't feel like like there is no hope for anything anymore. Before going on the prozac I didn't feel like life could ever feel like it was worth living. All the chores I had to do round the house (with a wife and two kids) seemed like a bind and that I would never have any time to myself. Now I am able to deal with all the pressures that life has to throw at me on top of dealing with all the new experiences that diabetes has to offer. I am hopeful that in a couple of months I might feel a bit more like my old self, but it is a long way off yet.

I have read that there is a strong correlation between diabetes and depression, so I doubt you are alone in the way that you feel and judging by the other posts it looks like it is not that uncommon.

There is a diabetes careline that you can call (I haven't had the guts to phone it yet) and apparently they can put you in touch with someone in your area that is diabetic so you can talk things through with them. The number is:

0845 120 2960

I would strongly advise you to talk to someone. The sooner you can get your head straight the better. It is tough. The full impact of having diabetes didn't really hit me until about a month ago and I am still adjusting to the fact this is for life. I will say that this forum is awesome though and all the people on it are just genuinely trying to help one another get through it and that I have felt lifted by some of the posts I have read.

Bighans

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars
jfyie123 said:
No there is a law which states that you cannot be descriminated against because of diabetes

Yes I am fully aware of it, but you can tell as soon as they know you are diabetic and insulin injecting, their attitude changes and they tell you , sorry you are not the person we look for. No Law for that, but their face tells the story at once.

Bighans

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars
qbix said:
Hi,

I have been diagnosed for about 4 months now and I have slid into a bit of a depression about things too. I have been on prozac for a little over two weeks now and while I don't feel the worlds happiest person, I don't feel like like there is no hope for anything anymore. Before going on the prozac I didn't feel like life could ever feel like it was worth living. All the chores I had to do round the house (with a wife and two kids) seemed like a bind and that I would never have any time to myself. Now I am able to deal with all the pressures that life has to throw at me on top of dealing with all the new experiences that diabetes has to offer. I am hopeful that in a couple of months I might feel a bit more like my old self, but it is a long way off yet.

I have read that there is a strong correlation between diabetes and depression, so I doubt you are alone in the way that you feel and judging by the other posts it looks like it is not that uncommon.

There is a diabetes careline that you can call (I haven't had the guts to phone it yet) and apparently they can put you in touch with someone in your area that is diabetic so you can talk things through with them. The number is:

0845 120 2960

I would strongly advise you to talk to someone. The sooner you can get your head straight the better. It is tough. The full impact of having diabetes didn't really hit me until about a month ago and I am still adjusting to the fact this is for life. I will say that this forum is awesome though and all the people on it are just genuinely trying to help one another get through it and that I have felt lifted by some of the posts I have read.

Thank you and I will try this number either tonight or tomorrow, when I got some peace in the house. On another note I am fighting this now for six years and still non the wiser!!!! Just to let you know :oops: :oops: