Blood sugars all over the place HELP

Katietremayne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I've had chest infections past month it's gone now after to courses of antibiotics I ended up in hospital on Saturday on a drip they were worried about my bs but now I can't get them down at all not had anything that I shouldn't have!!! They are ranging between 18 and 25 it's getting me really down I don't know what to do I haven't been diagnosed a year yet

QasimH

Hi

Sorry to hear that you been ill hope you a quick recovery ... Unfortunately illnesses play a major role in bs ... Are you insulin dependant or taking tablets? I guess your sugars will be all over the place getting over an illness ... Try not to stress or worry to much as this can also have a negative effect on your bs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you're confident in adjusting your insulin, you should get in touch with your DSN for advice.

I've only been in hospital twice since diagnosis but my insulin requirements were almost double once I came of sliding scale. I had to test almost hourly to get any kind of control. It seemed to resolve a few days after discharge. A certain amount will be due to inactivity along with any infection and/or drugs you might have been given.

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
There are many things that can affect your Blood Glucose levels apart from the obvious, Food/diet, Insulin, Exercise.

You do not say how long you have been living with diabetes. Do you regularly adjust your own doses according to your CHO2 intake, exercise and state of health?

In my personal experience (40+ years of type 1), any of the following factors can play a significant role:
Stress/relaxation
Ambient temperature (Insulin is better absorbed in warm conditions)
General state of health
Loss of warning symptoms (leading to unnoticed hypos and a rebound of a high)
Hormones
How your insulin has been stored and how old it is

I was in hospital a few years ago undergoing a replacement hip operation. Prior to admission my control was good and my HBA1C around 7 (old numbers).
The hospital team take over the supply of insulin while you are on the operating table by including insulin in a drip.
Afterwards I found that my Blood Glucose levels were similar to yours. It took a few days to wrestle control back and get on top of things. With hindsight, I should have quizzed the nursing team much more about how I was to take control again. Strangely, they knew very little about the management of diabetes.

I found that I had not had my basal (Lantus background) insulin for 24 hours and it takes around 48 hours for this to build up again. As soon as I was able to get on my feet and get active, things improved no end. Being in hospital is stressful.

Illness can significantly increase your insulin requirements, and on occasions I have had to take 25-50% more for a short while until things return to normal. Then of course you are at risk of Hypos, so you need to take lots of readings.
As others have stated, you should contact a DSN for advice before making significant changes to your insulin doses.
I was on a REACCT course recently and a participant, who is also a nurse herself, said she had no idea how much pregnancy affected blood glucose levels. She said the first pregnancy was a nightmare, but she understood much better the 2nd time around.

As a matter of course I always do 8 or more tests per day. This is because I have lost virtually all my warning signs. In your case, you may find it provides some extra clues to what your body is trying to tell you.

IMHO, exercise is a great balancer. A little goes a long way. Are you able to take some short brisk walks? Test before and after and notice the difference. I find 30 minutes of vigorous cycling will lower my blood glucose by 8 - 10 MMol/L.

I hope you are able to get the advice you need from a DSN and also take control of your insulin dose so you know what to do when things go adrift. Diabetes management is like walking a tightrope. Sometimes you will lose your balance!