Binge eating?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe not binge eating as such, but craving food so much its becoming hard to resist.. does anyone get this?

I've heard many places diabetics do tend to binge eat, why is this? And how can I avoid it, because I don't want to start putting on weight

Thank you

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
Jelac that is a difficult one... I still do and probably always will binge eat. My only saving grace at the moment is that having done a DAFNE course I can compensate with insulin.

I can't help it at times - I just get an urge to eat. I try to avoid things high in carbs and sugar but occasionally I slip up.

I wonder how many others out there have the same issue?

marcskinman

i tend to binge eat a lot. its an anxiety feeling i get when the thought pops into my head. even though i know it will shoot my BG up i cant stop sometimes. i have been this way for a few years now. my health is ok as i keep active but recently i feel it is controlling me. :crazy:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed for almost 3 weeks now. I currently don't binge, in fact I barely eat at all between meals. But I've found since the diagnosis I'm HUNGRY. Like all the time. I'm not sure if its the insulin or what but my appetite has increased 10x. So although I'm disciplined at the moment, I'm wary that once this all becomes routine I might start binging. Any advice on how to MAINTAIN what Ive got right now? Or if I'm going to eat what is "safe"?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thundercat, I have very varied results at the moment, when you are high is that when you're more likely to crave food, or is it the other way around?

I would love to be able to control this!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, according to my dn, it is when bg is high that cravings happen. Its very frustrating to find out that just when you want to eat less diabetes will crank up the appetite! Sometimes it feels like a little gremlin with a wicked sense of humour. When I get a craving to binge I try to keep myself busy but it is very hard to ignore.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strange, I've never noticed the correlation with high BG. I've only had one instance where I've been over 9 in a fortnight (woohoo!) so maybe my munchies are all in my head!

kelp84

Hi
I suffer from this really badly ... In fact one of the ways I can normally tell when I am high is because I will get insatiable cravings for weird things or think nothing of over indulging on things.
This -as a couple of ppl hve mentioned is so annoying as this is obviously precisely the time when you really should not be eating!
The only thing I can think of that causes this is that when you go high you get thirsty and the body commonly confuses hunger with thirst! When I feel like this I try to have a couple of pints of water or squash and if that really doesn't help I will try to eat things like chicken or eggs which are low in carbs and won't affect me much!

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hale710 said:
Strange, I've never noticed the correlation with high BG. I've only had one instance where I've been over 9 in a fortnight (woohoo!) so maybe my munchies are all in my head!

I guess it's still early days, I've had diabetes for 8 years or so, and I've only recently started getting this food craving.. that I have taken note of anyway!

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
kelp84 said:
Hi
I suffer from this really badly ... In fact one of the ways I can normally tell when I am high is because I will get insatiable cravings for weird things or think nothing of over indulging on things.
This -as a couple of ppl hve mentioned is so annoying as this is obviously precisely the time when you really should not be eating!
The only thing I can think of that causes this is that when you go high you get thirsty and the body commonly confuses hunger with thirst! When I feel like this I try to have a couple of pints of water or squash and if that really doesn't help I will try to eat things like chicken or eggs which are low in carbs and won't affect me much!

Thank you, thats really usefull! water always seems so unattractive when you're hungry, but I will definitley give it a go :)

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
Jelaca said:
Thundercat, I have very varied results at the moment, when you are high is that when you're more likely to crave food, or is it the other way around?

I would love to be able to control this!
I definitely find my appetite is tenfold when BG is high,I also find it hard to eat a meal if BG is low.....Sods law ! :roll:

kocall

hi i have had the same problem for years until i stumbled across raw carrots they are a great solution for that sweet tooth moment as well as high in vitamins and none fattening hope this helps :grin:

Reactions: 2 people

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I binge eat - in a big way. I am recovering from anorexia with binge eating. I find the triggers are worse when my BM is low, as my body is screaming our for the needed sugar. Once I start eating like this I cannot stop until I feel sick. A combination of diabetes and an eating disorder is a very difficult and distressing situation to be in. I do not want to get overweight yet again.

mrndnn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never liked sweet things, and didn't used to binge between meals. Now as a diabetic (type 2), on insulin and metformin/repaglinide/sitagliptin - l crave sweet things and am always hungry. Drives me nuts. my appetite has soared. When I report this, my docs.DN all say my HBA1c is ok, so not a problem, but try to watch my weight - I am overweight. But how when somehow now I crave sweet things like mad. I had years of barely touching sweets, puddings, cakes etc. But now......And the hunger, the burning hunger. If someone pointed me toward something that would take that away again, it would be magic

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a binge eater as well. It is horrible when food is on your mind all the time and when i start controlling i even dream about food . It makes me feel very pathetic indeed. Needless to say my alone sugar is high. I try to snack on healthier stuff but when i see all the food i cant have i get upset and then eat more. It bay make you feel very hopeless :(

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
I used to go between binge eating/starving when I was slightly younger and it played havoc with my blood sugar. Only really now starting to get back control and I really struggle when I have a hypo, especially in the night as I just have the overwhelming urge to binge. In fact I used to intentionally run high so I could avoid hypos for that reason. I have been very lucky so far. I have been diabetic for 20 years and now have a lovely nurse who is really supportive :)

laurabethxo

I tend to binge eat when I have a low blood sugar, and find that other times I am not attracted to food or even hungry. I could go a whole day without eating, and just drinking water, juice or diet drinks to keep going, and then when I'd get to family dinner time I'd already be feeling low. So I'd eat a lot during the evening, seconds of dinner and snacks until bed time.
I weigh about 9 stone at the moment, I have always weighed between 8 and 9, I'm 19 and I'm 5'3. I'd like to weigh less which I suppose reflects my awful diet!
But I appreciate binging within the diabetic community, and I don't think you should feel guilty if you do, as long as you do enough exercise to burn it off :)

tinyroman

Reading all the posts about binge eating, I have to say I'm actually relieved to know that others have the same challenge. I honestly thought I was a 'bad' diabetic for wanting to eat all the time, and havent said anything to my dn for fear of being judged. I'm overweight; my brain knows what I have to do to lose weight, but in the evenings I end up prowling round the kitchen like a hunter/gatherer, opening and closing the fridge and cupboards. I just don't seem to get full, and on checking it usually is when my sugar's high. Really appreciate all your posts, thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There is comfort in knowing that other people struggle. Sometimes you can feel so on your own in this self destructive cycle. My bg are never under 11.