How to take insulin when traveling!??

xafsanax2010

Hey everyone,

In July I am going on holiday to my Bangladesh to see all my family, Im gonna stop at Dubai and then take another connecting flight to Bangladesh, I'm on 4 injections a day- long acting at night and fast acting with my meal. So what would your advice be because I'm flying, the last thing I want is a Hypo and I certainly don't wanna have a high bm cus that make the journey loads worse, im flying economy anyway! -_- LOL this is the first time I'm flying since being diagnosed and on my own too so I'm nervous :/ Please help!! Thanks :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shadowlance

I travel fairly often for work, including through Dubai and I've never had any trouble. You can take your insulin and a needle or two on board. Make sure you have a letter from your doctor, sometimes security may want to see it, but I've never had to show it. In fact, the only time a security officer asked about it, he saw the pen, asked what it was I said insulin he said no problem and I was on my way.

As for being on the plane, I usually go to the toilet and inject after the meal. I don't do it before in case something happens and I don't get my meal in time or I misjudge to dosage because the meal was different to what I thought. You should always have some form of glucose available when on a plane in case of a low.

Sammeh5678

I would keep your insulin to your normal dose and keep checking your BG. I know when I'm having a hypo because of how I feel. Best way to do is whenever your doing excersize or not moving for prolonged period of time, always carry a Glucose stick, Dextro or a Mars Bar.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App