Injecting help needed

Akash

So i got diagnosed in early march, and lost a lot of weight around 2 stone, anyway since diagnosis i have injecting in my abdomen, until recently as it has been hurting a bit, and when i press down on the areas i can feel thats its kind of bruised. Is this scar tissue? I have recently started injecting into the buttocks however not sure about legs as i have virtually no fat around there (Im a 17 year old boy who's very active). So bit startled as to what to do. Can anyone give me advice much appreciated, thanks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
When I inject into my abdomen, I find the effect of the insulin kicks in faster than when I inject elsewhere.

I suggest you grab some leg flesh (around the thigh) and inject there. That's where I normally inject, or (if not) in the buttocks.

I doubt if you're much skinnier than me: I'm ten stone. (I'm so skinny, there's no way I'd inject into my arms.)

You should always vary the site of injection, anyway.

One further thing: I don't use injector pens. I find them too cumbersome and clunky. And I also recall that when I tried using them, it was more difficult to inject comfortably.

I use disposable syringes. And if you only have insulin in the form of pen-cartridges, that shouldn't be a problem.

I have described how to take up insulin from a cartridge, using a disposable syringe, elsewhere: see the thread 'Blood Glucose Monitors', started by daisybell, in the section 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' (the thread I mentioned is right at the top just now); and check out my entry dated May 17th (2.06pm).

kt78

Hi Akash

May be worth checking you're using the right size needles? I was using ones that were too big for about a decade without realising! :eh:

Liang171717

I think it is better in the upper arm and near shoulders, as that place have few Pain nerve, I always inject insulin in that places, I feel it is good, and we need also change pinhead of injector pen

Barong

Dislikes
hypos, rude, inconsiderate people, bad language.
Yes, the upper arms are good, but you must make sure you inject at the soft outside of the arm (imagine you put your arm on the back of a chair and inject in the place that rests on the chair). Hope that makes sense. I was given this advice by a very experienced diabetic nurse when I was running out of places after 52 years of injecting :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you using the smallest size needles, they now come in 4mm size . With the 4 and 5mm needles there is no need to pinch up therefore making it easier to use arms and legs.
This pdf has a diagram of sites and info on rotation.
http://www.bd.com/resource.aspx?IDX=11464

qbix

I find injecting can hurt a lot sometimes. It can actually be the insulin that is causing the pain rather than the needle. I find my lantus injection hurts far more than the novo rapid. I think of my abdomen like a clock face and inject at a different hour each time. I also have made a wee dial to remind me what time to inject at each time.

Mcvicker35

qbix said:
I find injecting can hurt a lot sometimes. It can actually be the insulin that is causing the pain rather than the needle. I find my lantus injection hurts far more than the novo rapid. I think of my abdomen like a clock face and inject at a different hour each time. I also have made a wee dial to remind me what time to inject at each time.

I've found that to be the case with my Lantus, it can be the speed you are depressing the plunger at, I tend to inject slowly and pause a couple of times. Be careful about only using one area of the body, I used my abdomen religiously for a couple of years and ended up with lumps, essentially scar tissue, in that area. This then affected my insulin absorption and knocked me out if whack. Try to rotate around the body. T

Jovifreak

Hi Akash, don't inject in the same place all the time, if you use your stomach, use a different part each time, or the tops of your arms, you can use a chair to rest on to get some flesh to push your needle into or ask a friend to squeeze for you, also the tops of your lets, all around them not just the side. In 27 years of injecting i've never used my buttocks, I just don't fancy that haha.