Increasingly large amounts off insulin needed

MANDA

Please could any one help. 23 yr old female on insulin since the age of 3yrs. History of not injecting in the past. Now trying for exelant control, but struggling with frequent admisions to a&e with life thretning blood sugars. Having to inject larg and increasing amounts of insulin to keep any sort of control. Nurse unhappy about quanty being injected,but no advise given on how to reduce!!! Twice a day levimir(long acting) total 92 units. PLUS x3 plus of NOVA RAPID (quick) total 60 units at least.HELP any one with any advice.

erroneous

Hard to help you if we don't know what kind of food you're eating, if you do exercise and so on... You know, some people just need to have a large intake of insulin. If the nurse is unhappy about the large doses you're having SHE should be the one to teach you how to reduce it! That's amazing that she complains about it without giving you advices.
Are you carb counting? Did you do the DAFNE course? That could be helpful.
Your A&E sessions are bad for your health as you might know. At the moment you should'nt try to reduce your insulin intake if you're doing Ketoacidosis. Tell us more about yourself! ;)

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time with your diabetes, Manda.

As erroneous said, it's impossible to advise you without knowing a great deal more about your control. These are the sorts of things that would help gain an understanding of your problems:

What do you eat in a typical day?
What sort of blood sugar fluctuations do you see over that time?
What is your HbA1c?
By how much have your insulin doses increased?
How is your body weight?

The good news is there are many great people on this forum, any one of whom will be more help than your nurse, by the sound of it!

All the best,

fergusc

Fugs

It seems that some of us need large doses of insulin. I have to take over 1000 units a day and my hba1c is over 14. Could you have an infection pushing up your bg? I assume that you're already carb counting. I was under calculating my carbs for a long time and so my boluses were too low.
Have you considered taking metformin? It does help combat some of the insulin resistance. Hope you find a solution but try not to stress too much because that will also increase your bg

Out of my mind,
Back in 5 minutes

>^..^<

MANDA

I do carb count ,as that was the way my parents were taught. I,m 9 stone which is a lot for me, but the incresing insulin makes me hungry all the time . I have a low carb diet as im always awear of the fact my bm,s jump so violntly. I can be 6-10 at waking and then for no reason start rising and like today be up in the 20s. i cant go on like this. To day i,v gone home to my mum to get help, but may end up in a&e any way. I,v done every thing that you have to do , regarding crb /insulin intake , Changed my pen/insulin cartrages, taking antibiotics in case of an underlying infection. Bm,s every 2 hours and i think i,v drunk the local resvior dry !!!!!! bm now 29

MANDA

What is the DAFNE cource havn,t herd of it befor. My last hba1c was 12 which is good for me, cos of my history of not injecting ,but on the way up. Very depressing when i.m trying soooo hard to get it right and have better control. THer was some talk that i may have poly cystic overys but no further investigation was done. this is my first time on a forame so i appolagise for my woffling.

Fugs

DAFNE-Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. It's a course for type 1 diabetic which covers how what you eat can change your insulin needs. Most people find the course invaluable.
I think you need to go and see your dsn and/or your gp. Keep a food diary and take it with you when you go. You never know there could be a pattern to the high bgs. There are plenty of different insulins you can try - what works for one person may not work for another. There are also tablets you can take to get you thru this bad patch

Out of my mind,
Back in 5 minutes

>^..^<

lahdida

Hi Manda ,
I realy feel bad for you I went thru a bad spell like that ,I was in a&e at least once a month with high blood mostly high twenties,some thirties.For me it felt like the harder I tried the worst it got.keep you chin up though and keep on top your doc for help.I wish you all the best,
lydia