Frustrated.

Clayman

Ok the laser surgery, some said they wanted to know how I went on and it also maybe help others in the future.

Before I went I was petrified, I'd already been to the docotor who was going to do the surgery to kind of gain confidence but even so when I went this morning I was still scared. So this is from start to finish.

I got there at 10:45 my appointment was at 11:00, the nurse was the first to see me to put some drops in my eyes, the same ones that they use for the exams, the ones that open your eyes up a bit. Anyway had to wait for like 20 minutes before they took effect, like I say just like the eye exam they do. After waiting for the 20 minutes and a very nervous 20 minutes as I didn't know what was about to happen, the doctor then brought me in where he explained what was going and then you sign the waiver form then it's on with the op.

He starts off by putting a couple more drops in your eye to kind of numb it (it was my right eye he did), it actually doesn't make your eye feel any different. He then puts what I can only describe as part of the telescope you look into onto your eye, you can't feel it and honestly it's fine. You then put your head in your headrest and he fires the laser, you feel nothing honest the only way you know he's doing something is the little flash of light and a small black spot he does this for 5 or 6 times then it's over.

I know some will still be scared about it but honest there is no worry at all, he even told me that my left eye may need doing but he'd see me in a couple of months I'm fine with that. He asked me how I felt about it all as he remembered I was worried about it previously about it, I told him the truth I felt as though I worried about nothing.

In ending I know it's a scarey thing to go through but honestly my op was to close a leak and it was nothing, you'll walk out wondering what you was worried about I know I did, actually felt a bit foolish to be honest.

ps I was out at 11:35, from when the nurse saw me at around 11:05 to the finish it took 30 minutes and most of that was taken waiting for the drops to react, the op itself takes about 1-2 minutes.

pps Westie2 gave advice about taking painkillers before hand, I did and I haven't felt any pain during or after the op so I'd go with that advice also, alo take sunglasses especially in this weather.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Despite being worried you faced up to it and found it not to be a problem. Great.

Clayman

Squire Fulwood said:
Well done. Despite being worried you faced up to it and found it not to be a problem. Great.

Thanks, I actually felt a buzz when he finished but that was just pure relief because it wasn't what I'd worried myself about. Just want to point out I said "it doesn't make your eye feel different", what I mean is it doesn't feel numb or weird and you can't feel any pain. I would point out it DOES make you feel better talking to people on here and would urge people reading anything on here to talk to people on here no matter what your worries or concerns are.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i know you was telling a serious story but i found your descriptions of stuff hilarious, you could write material for michael mcintyre, i made be demented but your description of your experiences really cheered me up (on a rubbish birthday) very much good luck with everything ill be looking forward to reading about your future experiences :)

Gwilo

Hi Clayman,

glad the eye surgery went ok.
I've just been reading the thread from the start, and I have to echo some of your sentiments about the experience of dealing with some members of the medical profession.
I went in for "routine bloods" due to being on blood pressure meds, and came out having been told I'm probably diabetic with glucose in my pee.
Cue blood test 1.......higher than expected.
Cue blood test 2 the following fortnight....higher than blood test 1....
Cue referral for OGTT.....awating results.
In between each test, the GP (thankfully I've been able to see the same one each time so far) has looked at other symptoms, and insisted I'm diabetic.....however, won't give any more treatment or guidance other than "you're going to have to make changes to diet, like white bread and potatoes", until I get the latest results.
I've been getting a bit down and self monitoring my sugar levels hasn't helped that mood when I see it average at night, but wake up with it high, swinging up and down throughout the day.
This site has been incredibly helpful, and just reading others experience, coupled with my partners support, makes living with it easier.

I love how your GP's just prescribe you more pills each time, without much thought or investigations.....are you getting scripts free yet? I've bought a prepay as my med list is getting daft, without any meds for diabetes!

Clayman

Andy12345 said:
i know you was telling a serious story but i found your descriptions of stuff hilarious, you could write material for michael mcintyre, i made be demented but your description of your experiences really cheered me up (on a rubbish birthday) very much good luck with everything ill be looking forward to reading about your future experiences :)

I'm glad I cheered you up, sometimes when your frustrated, down or angry you kind of try to throw humour into it to cheer yourself up and I think I tried to do that with the "will to live" thing with the practice nurse. I felt myself frustrated with her but also feeling down and kind of angry to be honest but like I say writing this and reading what people have posted, yourself included as helped me. I just hope what I've posted can help just one person with what they're going through and at least feel you aren't on your own type of thing.

I do however hope your happy till November though as I don't see the Nurse of Doom till then, I do however see a doctor on Friday where I could be another one closer to the full set of 5. I see the eye doctor again in a couple of months but have to say he was a credit to the medical profession, I couldn't have asked for anyone better.

Clayman

Gwilo said:
Hi Clayman,

glad the eye surgery went ok.
I've just been reading the thread from the start, and I have to echo some of your sentiments about the experience of dealing with some members of the medical profession.
I went in for "routine bloods" due to being on blood pressure meds, and came out having been told I'm probably diabetic with glucose in my pee.
Cue blood test 1.......higher than expected.
Cue blood test 2 the following fortnight....higher than blood test 1....
Cue referral for OGTT.....awating results.
In between each test, the GP (thankfully I've been able to see the same one each time so far) has looked at other symptoms, and insisted I'm diabetic.....however, won't give any more treatment or guidance other than "you're going to have to make changes to diet, like white bread and potatoes", until I get the latest results.
I've been getting a bit down and self monitoring my sugar levels hasn't helped that mood when I see it average at night, but wake up with it high, swinging up and down throughout the day.
This site has been incredibly helpful, and just reading others experience, coupled with my partners support, makes living with it easier.

I love how your GP's just prescribe you more pills each time, without much thought or investigations.....are you getting scripts free yet? I've bought a prepay as my med list is getting daft, without any meds for diabetes!

Thank you Gwilo, the eye thing was a big worry and peoples kind thoughts and words on here before and after have helped more than they will know. I've been lucky so far with the bloods it's gone down everytime. One of the things I do see like you is that there isn't much info from them it does seem a case of plan A isn't working so Plan B is one more pill, Plan B doesn't work so Plan C is add another tablet. I personally would have thought and it's something I haven't done till the last couple of weeks is write down what you eat and what you do exercise wise, I actaully thought the practice nurse or doctor would have told me to do this from day one, may actually ask them why they didn't suggest this.

I haven't been measuring my own levels well not on a regular basis, I did send of for a couple of free monitors and used them until the free strips ran out. Simple reason I didn't have a clue from one blood test till another if my diet was working, also it was a self prescribed diet something which I thought would have been done for me. Like I say though the only diet info I've gotten was a photo copied sheet with different stuff on like as an example.

Cereal Food Eat Regular.

Wholemeal bread, flour, pasta, whole grain cereals, brown rice, crispbreads, porridge oats, rice cakes, commeal (think it should be cornmeal)

Eat In Moderation

White bread, flour, rice, pasta, teacakes and pancakes.

Special Treats

Sugar coated cereal, biscuits, oridnary muesli

Avoid Eating

Choclate biscuits, cream filled biscuits, croissants

and it goes down like that with Fruit/Veg, Nuts, Fish, Meat, Eggs/Dairy, Fats, Prepared Foods, Sweets/Jams, Drinks, Sauces/Dressings

I do get my medication free I sent of for a medical exemption certificate which for those that may not know is available to all diabetics (99% sure) on medication, the form is available at your doctors or health centre is where I got it, they send it off and in a couple of weeks you get like a credit card and just fill the back of your prescription out. The chemist I go to even put my details on their system so don't even need to take the card, the card lasts for 5 years and unless someone finds a complete cure will last my life but you have to redo it every 5 years.

The nurse has never mentioned monitoring my blood sugar level, she did ask me last time I saw her did I do it and told her I did until the strips ran out. She kind of seemed to ask me only as an after thought, also never mentioned it again. I know one thing that people have made me realise with opening my mouth on here is that I should ask more questions which I will do from now on, I like you have found this site very helpful and it has made the last couple of days way easier.

Clayman

Just a ps about the medical exemption certificate, the chemists have been great. I've been to two so far, first one was the one at the health centre I told her that I'd sent for the exempt certificate and did I have to pay she said no and would just put it down as I hadn't shown her my card but would need to the next time. The second time was my local chemist who I showed my card and he put it on their system so didn't need to show him again. I don't want to seem like I have a downer on the medical profession as there are good people within it it like the chemists, eye doctor and foot doctor just the not so good let them down.